PDA

View Full Version : speedo repair

lee 460cd
Aug 23rd, 2003, 19:49
Hi all,

I have owned my car only for 6 months 86,000 with full serv hist, its great to know there are alot of enthusiasts out there!

Does anyone out there know how much knowledge you need to change the sensor for my speedo, its for a 460cd 2.0i b20f engine. Its very tempremental 90% of the time it doesnt work and i have to use the revs instead. I have been told that its an electrical sensor and might be connected to the starter and could cause problem with starting etc...is this true or bo**$x

I am not an expert mechanic, i'm prob average with common sense.
Should i get a garage to fix it or could i do it.

Also where could i get performane parts to tweek the engine for i feel it a bit slow on acceleration as a few vans are hard to keep up with(is it worth it or not) and/or external kits for my 460.

any help will much appreciated,

lee 460cd

Peter Milnes
Aug 23rd, 2003, 23:38
If it is indeed electrically sensed connecting it to the starter would be totally useless. You may find that it is connected to the final drive behind the engine if your car is FWD. However, since the B200F engine is normally mounted north-south I would suggest that the sensor is mounted on the rear differential. Now if your reference to B20F is a Renault engine then look as for FWD, ie behind the engine/gearbox on the final drive. If it is not the sensor or it's wiring and connectors then it is likely to be where the wiring is connected to the speedo head that has developed a loose connection.

All the best, Peter

terrastudioswrk
Sep 30th, 2003, 15:43
hey,
from what ive been told on dashboards with the trip computer on the 440/460 and probably 480 - the electronic speedo cable is on a sensor on the gearbox - hence me wanting a trip computer in my 440 would warrant a gearbox modification as im on a normal "physical" speedo cable.

Hope this helps.