PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Strip Removal

jamesayres
Jun 23rd, 2004, 17:30
Hello, can anyone give me advice on removing the chrome strip - the one half way up the doors, as I have noticed a small patch of rust which I need to take care and it's directly under the chrome, any advice appreciated.
James

Mike Arnold
Jun 23rd, 2004, 22:06
I assume that you are referring to the horizontal strip at the bottom of the windows.

As I recall these are held on by spring clips (but is about 5 yrs since I removed them from muy car).

Also, these stainless strips do have a habit of biting through the paint and producing rust spots!

222s
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:24
I guess that the ones just under the window are on clips (as Mike says) - the matching ones along the base of the estate rear side windows certainly are. However, if you mean the waist strips that run the full length of the car (from level with the centre of the headlights to level with the centre of the rear lights), these are also held on with clips, but they have dum-dum (or similar) on the clips to stop them rattling, so it may be easier to remove the door trim if you want to re-use the clips

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
(Half of 221 spares car now in boxes...)

GL
Nov 3rd, 2004, 23:13
What about if you have a loose strip? Should I remove it and reapply it? Mine is loose in one place but held or securely for the most part.

TomTom
Nov 5th, 2004, 16:30
I would try to get it fixed. It would only be a temptation to some do-badder to play with it, or if it's quite loose then even the wind could work it even looser.

The clips are easy to come by.