PDA

View Full Version : XC90 Side Steps

AB-UK
Apr 21st, 2013, 10:09
I notice on eBay someone has side steps for sale, some for models 2002-2005, and then others for 2006 on.
The images look very similar.
Item No. 400214966790 (2002-05)
Item No. 190517235571 (2006+)
Item No. 200805054577 (2002 - 2006 all models)

Do the later models need a different set of side steps?

Anyone refitted side steps to a new XC90 taken from an older one?

ianu
Apr 21st, 2013, 10:59
I don't know for certain - but I think they are the same fit as I don't think anything has changed in this area between the years.
The only difference that I'm aware of is that the later ones are hollow cast brackets at each end instead of solid cast.
The only other thing I can think of is that they might be slightly longer brackets to accommodate XC's with the stainless sillplates - otherwise I think they are fully interchangeable (but if you have the sill plates - might be worth checking)

Cheers
ian.

Clan
Apr 21st, 2013, 11:42
I don't know for certain - but I think they are the same fit as I don't think anything has changed in this area between the years.
The only difference that I'm aware of is that the later ones are hollow cast brackets at each end instead of solid cast.
The only other thing I can think of is that they might be slightly longer brackets to accommodate XC's with the stainless sillplates - otherwise I think they are fully interchangeable (but if you have the sill plates - might be worth checking)

Cheers
ian.

yes if you have the R design sill plates you cant fit running boards as they foul , it says this on the volvo accessory web site

JOPP
Apr 21st, 2013, 16:17
Does anyone know if these OEM side steps are similar to original Volvo parts? its, similar in material and quality.

Funky Diver
Apr 21st, 2013, 16:56
and to throw a spanner in the works...

Item : 170880565647 VOLVO XC90 02-PRESENT

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, they're all the same... but ultimately you pays your price you takes a chance :)

JOPP
Apr 21st, 2013, 16:58
and to throw a spanner in the works...

Item : 170880565647 VOLVO XC90 02-PRESENT

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, they're all the same... but ultimately you pays your price you takes a chance :)

What is the price diff between factory and oem parts?

Funky Diver
Apr 21st, 2013, 17:10
Factory are roughly £600 aftermarket are anything from £200 - £400 depending on the style you want.

stephenlumb67
Apr 21st, 2013, 21:17
yes if you have the R design sill plates you cant fit running boards as they foul , it says this on the volvo accessory web site

Hi, not sure that they will foul up. I understand it's tight and not recommended but fits nonetheless.

Was looking at these for my MY13 and a post on another forum with photo seems to indicate it does fit on the R design.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?189244-MY13-XC90-R-design-Running-board-discussion

Clan
Apr 21st, 2013, 21:18
Hi, not sure that they will foul up. I understand it's tight and not recommended but fits nonetheless.

Was looking at these for my MY13 and a post on another forum with photo seems to indicate it does fit on the R design.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?189244-MY13-XC90-R-design-Running-board-discussion

yes they press quite hard on the r design side trims , dont quite look right then .

stephenlumb67
Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:34
yes they press quite hard on the r design side trims , dont quite look right then .

Hi Clan,

From your response it seems the side steps are actually touching the side skirts. Do you know whether these have to be forced/pushed in to fit or whether there is a slight gap to the side skirts. Have been considering and whilst some have noted a sucessful installation on an r-design, still not entirely sure until I see them in person.

Cheers
Steve

s40manbaz
Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:45
they do just touch on the r-design and also look a bit iffy and to make it worse if you don't like them and take them off you will find they put a big line type dent all down the silver side and new one from Volvo are 150 each :-(

stephenlumb67
Apr 22nd, 2013, 13:19
they do just touch on the r-design and also look a bit iffy and to make it worse if you don't like them and take them off you will find they put a big line type dent all down the silver side and new one from Volvo are 150 each :-(

Ouch! thanks for the tip, and an expensive one as well.

Cheers

volvocamper
Apr 22nd, 2013, 17:16

I think I have read (on here) over the years that you can fit say 10mm spacers between the side step brackets and the underside of the car which will 'lower' the steps by 10mm and bring them away slightly from the R-Design scuff plates. You would need to use fixing bolts of same type as original but longer by the depth of the spacer used.
Can anyone confirm if this is the case pls?

marinemitch
May 3rd, 2013, 21:28
I think that is a very reasonable solution i was just thinking of using some s Steel washers to get the exact space desired then source the high tensile bolts from a local hardware supplier