PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of P1800 Needs Help!!!

KennyG
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:05
All,

I have recently purchased a 1971 P1800E as a restoration project.

Can any of you give me some advice as to where to start?

Especially advice as to books I could read about the cars, any websites and dealers that may be able to help.

I work in Kazakhstan and only get home 2 weeks out of every 8 so I am planning on a long restoration but I wanted to do the reading first.

Thanks,

GL
Nov 3rd, 2004, 23:11
Check out: http://volvo1800pictures.com/

Go to the "documents" link and download yourself the entire service manual (much better than the Haynes, IMHO).

In the USA I get my parts from P1800.com. They ship overseas as well.

What condition is your car in? Does it run? Any rust? If you have a rust problem, you will be in for an expensive and long restoration as you will have to practically dismantle the car and have everything sandblasted and coated to prevent future rust.

If you have a little rust you can probably cut or sand it out and use some filler for holes and later have it painted.

As for the motor, if it is running, the carbs probably need rebuilding. Try: ZTherapy.com

In the USA try IPDUSA.com for many performance modifications.

Good Luck!

KennyG
Nov 7th, 2004, 06:44
Thanks for the note,

I have stripped the interior out of the car and found the bulk head below the windshield is pretty rotten. The wheelarches will need patching up and I will probably need a new hood.

That's the bad stuff, the good stuff is that the car runs and is maintain good oil pressure, not overheating and there does not seem to be any pinking. Since my P1800 is the E it is fuel injected, but the injection unit is fine.

All in mechanical good, bodywork, nightmare!

Thanks for replying!

Ian