PDA

View Full Version : V50 Immobiliser problems

ds47uk
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:58
Hi,
I just found this group, so this is my first post. Sorry it is a bit long and complicated, but any comments would be appreciated.

I have an '04 V50 2.4. Several times it has refused to start with an "Immobiliser" error message. The first time by pure chance I got it working, but took it my dealer to check. The workshop manager told me that I was only the second person who it had happened to - he was the first, and had called the RAC out. They said - no problem; lock and unlock the door three time, wait 30 seconds, and it would start. So the RAC knew about it but the Volvo workshop database didn't!! Anyway this worked, and has now worked about 5 times for mw.

What I was wondering - is this common - has anybody else had the same problem, and if it is common are Volvo doing anything about fixing the software. It's not so bad sitting in the garage for 30 seconds, but I would hate to stall at a busy set of lights!

cheers

Dave

Marmoset
Apr 13th, 2006, 15:05
It's clearly not working as it should and Volvo shoud really look into replacing a few parts that aren't communicating with each other. I think a few people on swedespeed have had the problems and it's something to do with teh key not being recognised by the car. I've only had one key error problem myself and I just took the key out and put it in again - no problems with starting though.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=27209

Hope this helps

Rich

TheodGR
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:34
Hi,

I used to have a S40 MY 04.5 1.8L petrol engine (GREECE).
From the very begining I experienced the same problems. At least once a week (unrelated to any other events) the car crunk strangely but would not start. A "check immobilize" message was displayed each time. I had to take the key off the ignition and restart. No help under VIDA, had to report in for the same problem many times, no solution by Volvo.

This was one of many minor to major problems I experienced with that particular vehicle, until after 15 months of frustration I demanded and came around a deal by Volvo Cars Greece. They bought back that car and now I am expecting a new MY06 S40 . I only hope I waill be luckier this time.

welshboy
Oct 25th, 2008, 10:03
Hi, Reading the messages below, I have had the same problem with my V50 MY 2006. I have taken the car to Volvo a few times and they have now agreed that there is a fault with the ignition switch. After the last time I went to Volvo they cleared all the codes in the system and I took the car straight back to them when it happened again. The garage did tell me that it is a known problem.

If the problem does come back after the repair, I hope not! I will post a further update.

TheodGR
Oct 27th, 2008, 06:52
Hi, meanwhile I have the new S40 (1,8L summum) for almost 2,5 years. Unfortunately, Volvo unreliability under Ford is the number 1 factor for this vehicle as well. Many problems came up during the time I have this car. Anyway, I have promisssed myself to discourage anyone I know from bying a Violvo. These cars are much inferior than their manufacturer' s promise.
As for the problem we are talking about, there have been at least 2 major VIDA updates concerning the CEM module responsible for the engine start amongst other things. It is about 2 weeks I had the car ECU flashed with the latest update and I have noticed I do not have the problem anymore.
Who knows for the future...

DO NOT GO IN FOR ANY VOLVOs !!!!

welshboy
Dec 29th, 2008, 17:51
Since my previous message above, I have since taken my car back to Volvo and they had the car for a few days. The fault resurfaced while in the garage and they contacted Volvo UK. They advised the garage to change a few of the connections in the fuse box. I have not had the problem since (touch wood!)

I hope this helps and good luck.