PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranties V70 - Warranty Direct vs Volvo

Wentworth Man
Apr 20th, 2006, 21:22
Hi all,
Just got a quote for a V70 2002 model extended warranty from Volvo for £519. Cannot see from the exclusions or what is covered as to wether A/C is covered so I'm gueesing not. Anyone know different?

Also, quote from Warranty Direct with as many ticks for additional options so I can compare like with like seems to be £463 but includes A/C, Franchise dealer service/ repair and pay for 11 months but 12 months cover so say about £505 like for like. Anyone had any experience of Warranty Direct?
Downside(?) is I can never go back to a Volvo Warranty.

Volvo is insured via MICL and adminstered by Care Plan. Warranty Direct is insured by Lloyds and I guess adminsterd by themselves.

I'll be doing only about 12000 a year so well within their 20000 mile limit and it will get serviced at a "stealers" for a while yet...till I can convince my local indy Merc or local Indy BMW to do Volvos.
So....any recomendations or flames.

Thanks in advance.

Oli
Apr 24th, 2006, 22:21
I've been trying to do some research on this very issue for the past couple of weeks. Started off with trying to buy an extra years cover from Volvo. Was told when I bought the car that it would be £580. After a lot of mucking about recently, the dealer and Volvo tell me it's £814!

So I started looking around. Warranty Direct give a good speil, but the quote in the post was for standard cover (given age and milage of car) but the exclusion list was for Gold cover. Checked on the phone about the differences, and was told not much. Eventually they e-mailed the correct exclusion list, which has a lot of differnces. I've now written to them asking for clarificaiton, but no answer yet. I'm disappointed about the confusion on the level of cover. However, it could be that their policy on wear and tear makes it a good deal still. I hope they clear this up soon.

Also found Warranty Works. They have a platinum cover of £720 ish for 3 years with a claim limit/claim of £2500. As many claims as you like per year upto the value of the car. However, their wording is a bit unclear about what's included and intend to ring them back tomorrow to discuss. It could read that the cover is very extensive, or that the cover is very limited. Let's see. If extensive, then this could be the right deal.

Last one I've had a quote on is from RAC Warranties. Not actually RAC, but the name is used under license. The underwriter might be the same as Warranty Works. They do interest free monthly installments and the cost seems ok, but the Summary document that came with the quote only gives the headings for the various parts that are covered (e.g. engine, suspension) but does not list the parts, stating that a full list is included in the policy document. That's not on really. Full info should be provided with the quote. Again, I'm going to chase this up tomorrow.

You asked about Air Con being covered by Volvo though, not for a story about my search. The answer is that it's not covered by the extended Volvo warranty.

Oli