PDA

View Full Version : Petrol prices

Rooster
Apr 21st, 2006, 00:08
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed fuel prices rising again,

I went to petrol station today and optimax was a quid a litre and diesel wasn't far behind

James_N
Apr 21st, 2006, 00:12
yeah, theres a debate going on about it on a few motoring forums now. To be honest, i cant see anything being done.

I guess im lucky in that my commute to work is 4 miles a day, but i still seem to rack up the miles visiting mates etc etc. I'll have to cut down on the travelling.

Mike_Brace
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:26
Guess I'm lucky it seems as if the lpg prices are starting to drop back down in price - perhaps summer is coming!

Mike

bobcat
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:06
yeah, here we go again.

its all down to oil trading at $74 a barrel, which i believe is down to the oil companies keeping supply\demand close and thus keeping up the prices. its also down to stock traders getting twitchy and start a buying fever in which people will pay anything for a barell.

oil companies say its not them, but when they are making record profits can you really seeing them wanting prices to come down so they make less? and also when the amount of oil in the ground in finite ish, they are gonna want to get as much for it as they can.

however on the plus side, higher prices is good for the british economy as dont shell and bp provide about 1/5 of it, and as oil goes higher companies develop technigues to get oil out from before uneconomical places and thus prices should come down.

Even though i spend a fortune on fuel, i think high prices are good!!! we really need something to happen to make other fuels avaible, like biodiesel. we could wipe out world poverty if we converted the 3rd world over to growing plants for biodiesel.

just look at brazil, they make enough ethanol to not only run their cars, but also to export.

James_N
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:12
you LIKE high prices? thats a new one on me :confused:

bobcat
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:33
you LIKE high prices? thats a new one on me :confused:

personally i dont, but as david brent said you need to put up with the rain if you want the rainbow.

my reasoning is also supported by opec, they ideally want oil trading at around 35-40 dollars, this makes oil cheap enough so that people wont look at alternatives, and it keeps the economy growing which ensures a good demand for oil.

however, i really can see demand weakening even with these prices, and even if the developed world start to switch, the upcoming countries that are years behind up will take up the slack and continue to guzzle it.

blues60
Apr 21st, 2006, 17:31
Luckily I happened across a garage that had just had a delivery today and was still selling at 90.9p for unleaded. Everywhere else was at least 95.9p. It's worth checking on www.petrolprices.com for the cheapest in your area.
It looks like a bit of panic buying is setting in because the forecourt was chocka by the time I had filled up and people were queing into the road. (The garage was the Shell one next to the old Goldstone ground in Hove)

classicswede
Apr 21st, 2006, 19:34
I am another one who likes high petrol prices!! High prices = more plg conversions. Duty on LPG is only going to up by 1p per litter for the next 3 years so no real need to worry about tax going silly on it.

Jonathan_angelo
Apr 21st, 2006, 19:54
Well with pretty much everything rising in price why are our salaries remaining unchanged unless a promotion beckons??

This is the only reason why i have only done little over 2k miles this year in my 760 Turbo, cos i can't afford to run it at these prices.

I would consider an LPG conversion however with the fact that i wouldn't get my money back for years is it really worth bothering?

I get the bus to work which costs me £50 a month. To take the car and park would cost me almost £300 a month - money i'd rather spend in the pubs and clubs!!

Its a **** take. Why can our government not reduce tax on fuel like the Italian do (or so ive heard)? Apparently when the barrel price increases, the tax is reduced so that you don't feel it at the pump, then when prices return so does the tax. I don't know how much truth is in this but a bloody good idea all the same. The government only seem to use the revenue from petrol and diesel on buying more and more speed camera's (which im not completely against because i believe speed can be dangerous in the wrong hands, but what about the ****ty roads we have to drive on??

The whole petrol argument makes my blood boil!

J

blues60
Apr 21st, 2006, 21:38
My wife and I had to go into London 3 times last month and had to travel up in during rush hour. We drove to Gatwick and had to get the train to Victoria and then the tube to Tooting. The total return cost for the rail and tube was £50 for the two of us!
Funnily enough we only did that the first time and drove the 93 miles there and back the following two times. My wifes Focus does about 35-40mpg has comfy seats, air conditioning and a stereo and nil chance of a loony getting in and sitting next to me! The trip took two thirds the time of the train journey and the car parking cost us £5 each time so theres no way those two trips came to £100. And the government wonder why people drive their cars.

ramz
Apr 21st, 2006, 22:39
The petrol prices have to go up just as ive got a car with a bigger engine!

out of interest how much does it cost to get one of these lpg conversions cost?

The tax for petrol is daft, what is the point in panic buying, doesnt it just make the prices go higher?

alsner
Apr 22nd, 2006, 00:30
Interesting thread

We seem to forget the majority of the pump price actually go to our beloved and truthful government in the form of duty approx 75%. We pay more for our fuel than most of the countries in the developed world. If you don't believe me do a search there's vast amounts out there even in garages.

We are being robbed blind by the government in taxation; fuel duty + VAT, road tax and insurance premium tax. Most retail parks and supermarkets are out of town, so we have to drive. We drive cars because it's cheaper, easier and more convenient than to use all public transport especially if you have kids (where's the logic in that?). Alot of people have to commute vast distances to work out of necessity, quite often in opposite directions of our partners (two car household). Driving is not a luxury, alot of the time it's a necessity (esp if you've got buggered legs like me).

I'm not even going to start on the revenue aquired by the dreaded speed camera. I don't advocate reckless/dangerous driving in anyway shape or form but really this every speeder is a menace to society and should be treated like a drink driver, hardly!!! Over reaction or what.

Its a fact if you drive you speed, we are all law breakers. If your paying so much attention to your speed your paying less attention to the road. Just to clarify I have a clean licence, always have also I've had only 1 accident in 15 years of driving. During a jouney I will always break the speed limit at some point.

Do you enter every new limit at the right speed? Do you allow your speed to creep up going downhill? Do you accelerate after the new limit sign or ease your foot down when you see it? Do you exactly how fast your travelling without looking at your speedo in all gears?

Personally if I could afford a LPG conversion I would have it done in a heartbeat but because I can't afford a car less than 5 years I can't get a discount for an LPG conversion. Unfortunately I don't do enough mileage to warrant the cost of converting. So I just vent every now and then and keep putting the fuel in my car.

But on a more balanced note, we just love them and the freedom that they give us and were prepared to pay through the nose to have it. AND THEY KNOW IT!!!!! I got there...

James_N
Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:48
Unfortunately I don't do enough mileage to warrant the cost of converting. So I just vent every now and then and keep putting the fuel in my car.

same with me. It baffles me really, my commute to work is 2 miles each way, but i still manage to rack up 1000 miles in 2 months just visiting mates etc :(

i'll have to start tightening my belt even more.

gnhuk
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:13
The road user is a cash cow to be milked by our glorious leaders every time they screw up (again). They talk a good game about using public transport but it is just talk - we won't give up our cars until the alternative is in place and it never will be.

£43 billion off the road user per year which is about 10% of government revenue. We are being fleeced..............

alsner
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:10
Well said that man!!!!!!!!

Of course another problem we have is, forecourts are very quick to put the prices up when the oil per barrel is high, but very slow to reduce it again if the price drops... We wonder why all oil companies are producing record profits!!!

There been some talk of panic buying, I haven't seen any evidence of it locally but I do know regarding Iran if we do invade (bush already talking openly about it) then we are going to have the Mother F****r of wars. Then I suggest its time to dig our own graves. Its gone from politics to religeon and thats bad news. The most irresponsible thing Bush and Blair have done is mention their faith and god etc when talking about the middle east/iraq.

friedfrog
Apr 22nd, 2006, 13:49
My wife and I had to go into London 3 times last month and had to travel up in during rush hour. We drove to Gatwick and had to get the train to Victoria and then the tube to Tooting. The total return cost for the rail and tube was £50 for the two of us!
Funnily enough we only did that the first time and drove the 93 miles there and back the following two times. My wifes Focus does about 35-40mpg has comfy seats, air conditioning and a stereo and nil chance of a loony getting in and sitting next to me! The trip took two thirds the time of the train journey and the car parking cost us £5 each time so theres no way those two trips came to £100. And the government wonder why people drive their cars.

Here here, Thats a fantastic point well put. The price of public transport is stupid. I live in a rural location and only have the chance of catching 3 buses a day excluding Sunday. If my wife, 3 kids and I catch the bus 10 miles in to town the return journey costs a whopping £13.20 I can do the same journey in my S70 for about £4 and I can stay out after 5 o,clock to boot. To be honest I don't know the price per litre in town but whatever it is if I want some type of life, living ruraly I definately have to pay it.

Friedfrog.

classicswede
Apr 22nd, 2006, 20:51
The petrol prices have to go up just as ive got a car with a bigger engine!

out of interest how much does it cost to get one of these lpg conversions cost?

The tax for petrol is daft, what is the point in panic buying, doesnt it just make the prices go higher?

To give you an idea a 240 pre cat would be £750 fitted
a 850 T5R would be £1550 fitted.

ramz
Apr 22nd, 2006, 22:00
how much would it be for a 440 2.0?

1stRaven
Apr 22nd, 2006, 22:46
I'm now spending over £250 a month in fuel and its starting to sting quite a bit. I have to drive about 40 miles a day to and from work and public transport isn't even available. Whats more, I have to supply a car for work use so even if public transport was available, I couldn't use it.

what hurts even more is that fuel duty is set to go up in september so dont bet fuel prices will go down after the summer!

James_N
Apr 22nd, 2006, 23:01
what hurts even more is that fuel duty is set to go up in september so dont bet fuel prices will go down after the summer!

again? christ :(

blues60
Apr 23rd, 2006, 17:36
It wouldn't be so bad if there was an alternative to driving but there isn't unless you live in an urban area. I live in a rural village and the buses are few and far between. I cannot physically get to where I work in time using buses or trains so I have no choice but to drive the 18 miles each way.
If I lived in London or somewhere like Guildford or Brighton I would be more likely use public transport but even then, travelling during rush hour is prohibitively expensive unless you live and work in the same town. I cannot see how the Govenment have the audacity to suggest such ridicilous things such as travelling to work off peak!!!! How the hell are you supposed to do that and keep your job? I can just see all the company bosses agreeing to half their workforce strolling in at eleven and who on earth wants to stay at work until seven or eight in the evening every day?
<Start of rant>
Unfortunately the Govenment are only too aware of the necessity of the car and are able to introduce crippling rises in taxation on the motorist at will, knowing the majority have no choice but to drive as public transport is in such a dire state. The last vehicle excise rises were a good point. It was sold to the public as a tax on "gas guzzling 4x4s" when in actual fact Mr Brown set the threshold for this top rate low enough to encompass the majority of mid to large sized saloon cars and many more. Millions more in tax is now being poured into the Labour cash chasm and god only knows where it ends up, certainly not in improving the roads or giving us alternatives to use instead of them.<end of rant>

Rich T5
Apr 23rd, 2006, 17:49
The one thing that gets me at the moment, (other than the price of duty on petrol) is the damn car tax!!! They charge you most of the cost of petrol to tax...and then the cheeky feckers have the audacity to put up the cost of road tax on bike's and 4x4's!!!

Ok most ppl who own a 4x4 can afford to pay the extra, but what about the rest?? I use my motorbike to go to work (mainly coz its cheap and faster in traffic than a car) but now, the goverment in their wisdom have decided that they will make brand new spanking duel fuel cars free to tax...and bike tax has gone up from £45 to £60!!!
And thay say they are trying to reduce conjestion on the roads!! Suerly bike tax should be free...certainly not up!!

There is no give and take at the moment on the motorist!

LankyTim
Apr 24th, 2006, 21:19
[QUOTE=Rich T5]And thay say they are trying to reduce conjestion on the roads!! Suerly bike tax should be free...certainly not up!![QUOTE]

No, they want to extract the most money they can out of the motorist.

Mike_Brace
Apr 24th, 2006, 21:37
how much would it be for a 440 2.0?

Fortunately being an older car cost would be from £850 depending on tank.

Mike