PDA

View Full Version : Minilite Stainless Steel Wheel Nuts

Bristol603
Aug 17th, 2013, 11:58
I have a set of Minilites that have done a couple of winters on my 122S. I have been using chromed wheel nuts provided by Minilite with the wheels. Perhaps I have been a bit rough with these, but the chrome has been breached on most and they rust a little. The Minilites themselves still look new and so were been a bit let down by the rusty nuts. I tried a while back to find some suitable stainless steel wheel nuts for the Minilites, but gave up after a while. I have now found a source when not particularly looking. This is www.wrington.co.uk

I don't have any connection with this company other than being a customer. They have supplied a set of 316 Marine Stainless 1/2*20UNF 60 degree taper nuts. They sell these for MGBs with Rostyle wheels, but they seem to fit my Minilites fine. They need a 21mm socket rather than a 19mm (as per the nuts supplied by Minilite) and a fat 21mm socket may not fit into the hole in the Minilite where a fat 19mm socket would. I have had not problem with this using a 21mm from my standard set.

The stainless steel nuts cost £2 each unpolished and £4 each polished. I couldn't resist the polished ones, but this is an extravagance. The nuts arrived very promptly and I am a happy customer. I attach some pictures below (Stainless vs Chromed; Stainless on Minilite; and Polished vs Unpolished). I think these stainless nuts would be a good option for someone buying a new set of Minilites rather than the chromed nuts.

123GT-AMAZON
Aug 17th, 2013, 12:23
thank you for the info and images i agree the stainless lug ones at that cost aswell is a must have :) , its the little things like that ( rusting lugs later ) that would annoy me and niggle to the point i would do what you have done and order some stainless lugs so good info for anyone thinking of buying a set of wheels.

also the link to them very helpful so cheers for the share :) much appreciated .

222s
Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:04
Ditto! This info & write-up is all very much appreciated :)

Btw, are there any corrosion issues etc to watch out for with stainless nuts (such as galvanic, on the alloy wheel, or steel studs) or does a good dose of copper slip on the threads prevent all that?

Ron Kwas
Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:58
222;

In general, stainless to stainless threads are notorious for galling, so should always have a lube applied (any anti-seize type product will do), but it's good practice to also do this here where only one side is stainless, to prevent any problems due to galvanic action... including also on the conical bearing surface...this decreases sticktion and allows coming into the final torque smoothly...

Cheers from Connecticut!

Derek UK
Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:23
Stainless nuts are also harder than the standard steel ones. The softness of the normal nuts allows them to distort and conform a small amount which helps to give a locking effect. I don't know if a different torque setting is recommended for SS compared to the steel ones. I'm sure that MGB forums have had threads on this. As the nuts are exposed on the Minilites you'll be able to check them frequently rather than the normal fit and forget with the steel ones. Check and be safe.

tdz840
Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:08
I've had stainless fixings on my superlites for around 6 years, torqued to around 80lbft. However doing a quick looksee on the Superlite website it recommends a 60lbft setting. Significantly less than the stock steels.
Saying that I've had no issues with rusty nuts, possibly due to the amount of time I play with them...

red122
Aug 23rd, 2013, 21:10
Hi
I have been looking for superlite nuts for a spitfire i have. do you have a link to the superlite site please?

Derek UK
Aug 24th, 2013, 00:52
If no luck with Superlite, try here http://www.mistertee.co.uk/

Amma122s
Aug 28th, 2013, 01:51
Chewing the cud over a set of Minilite type wheels for my 122s..any chance you could paste in a couple of pics of your car with the minilites please :notworthy:

tdz840
Aug 28th, 2013, 06:53
Chewing the cud over a set of Minilite type wheels for my 122s..any chance you could paste in a couple of pics of your car with the minilites please :notworthy:

I don't have minilites but superlites a UK/Aussie wheel (www.superlite-wheels.com).
I have attached another pic but there are more on my profile page
Russ

222s
Aug 28th, 2013, 07:56
A couple of pics of an Amazon with Minilites here (http://www.tyresave.co.uk/carpix/minilite15amazona.jpg) and here (http://www.tyresave.co.uk/carpix/minilite15amazonb.jpg). Note that these are genuine Minilites - the various copies look a bit different (imho the detailing of the spoke / rim interface is cruder).

Amma122s
Aug 29th, 2013, 02:26
....maybe but they're a heap cheaper..had a similar non genuine minilite wheel set on my MGB years back and they were good. Found a company called Tyresave who do both minilites and KN Minator copies..5.5x15's for £100 per wheel. http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyskn.html ..bit more in my price range .

david sharp
Aug 29th, 2013, 19:07
Hi 222s, nice to see the pictures of my 122s complete with Minilites. I took these photos 2yrs ago after a bare metal re-spray and must confess that I am curious to know how you came by them. My guess is either TYRESAVE or an insurance broker.

Cheers, David.

Amma122s
Aug 29th, 2013, 22:29
I think they are on tyrsaves website ??

222s
Aug 30th, 2013, 22:00
They are indeed on that site :)