PDA

View Full Version : xc90 t6 dumps all its oil!!

Argyllt6
Oct 22nd, 2013, 16:38
on return from the town our t6 dumped all its all onto the road 50 yds from our drive.
I only noticed it as smoke was coming out of the bonnet and thought my car was on fire. so quickly got everyone out the car.
awaiting the rac to come out to confirm where its coming from..

it looks like the bottom back of the engine where the oil cooler is.
car starts ok after putting new oil in to try and see where its leaking from
I hope its just something as simple as the oil cooler £60 on fleebay the engine runs and sounds fine otherwise

fingers crossed will keep you's posted...

Argyllt6
Oct 22nd, 2013, 19:30
Turns out it was the rubber feed pipe that goes to the drivers side turbo burst!

Looks like the previous owner cur a piece of the pipe out and replaced it with 2 inches of rubber pipe and some jubilee clips.

I removed the top banjo easy. The problem I have us removing the other new which goes down into the block and connects with the other pipe from the other turbo at the banjo connection.

I have removed the oil cooler to gain better access to the banjo but can't seem to get to it..

Anyone got a better idea for access or am I in the right area ?

Thanks. Jeez I thought the worst when I saw all the oil thankfully it's only a burst pipe ;)

Argyllt6
Oct 26th, 2013, 15:42

Looks like the someone has cut a piece of the metal pipe off probably due to some corrosion due to it being next to the turbo as the end of the rubber pipe looks abut melted/deteriorated.

Was a right pain to remove. 19 mm nut that connects to both banjo connections on the block. Removed oil cooler for left arm access and went in from the drivers wheel are with a ratchet blind feel only.

Awaiting new pipe then bk on the road ;)

Argyllt6
Oct 26th, 2013, 15:51

Another pic of turbo feed pipe..

Clan
Oct 26th, 2013, 16:18

Another pic of turbo feed pipe..

God ! The bodgers have been at that .. hot oil at maybe 5 bar pressure , it's never going to last long ... Have they done the same to the other oil feed pipe you say ? It makes you wonder why .. yes hard to access , not many people are priviliged to see the 2 T6 Turbochargers !

Argyllt6
Oct 26th, 2013, 22:02
I'm going to check the other one tomorrow.

It has clearly been sawn through and looks like a bog standard water hose pipe. Blue peter eat yer heart out!

The worse bit now is cleaning the mess up as we live on a private road that's a dead end.I'm going to have to buy a load of Tesco's cheapest washing up liquid and brush the oil off the road. It doesn't look good from a buyers point of view ( if I wanted to sell the car) as there's 50 ft of an oil slick going straight onto my driveway from the road!!

Clan
Oct 26th, 2013, 22:21
I'm going to check the other one tomorrow.

It has clearly been sawn through and looks like a bog standard water hose pipe. Blue peter eat yer heart out!

The worse bit now is cleaning the mess up as we live on a private road that's a dead end.I'm going to have to buy a load of Tesco's cheapest washing up liquid and brush the oil off the road. It doesn't look good from a buyers point of view ( if I wanted to sell the car) as there's 50 ft of an oil slick going straight onto my driveway from the road!!

you can get special granules at a motor factors to put on the oil , or if you want to wash it away use biological washing powder Aerial for example , scatter that over the oil , add water , brush it in with a broom and wash away hopefully .