PDA

View Full Version : Does it really work?

ClassicVolvoShop
Oct 24th, 2013, 10:29
I'm not sure why there are so many of them out there - but does it really work?

I mean - obviously seller knows nothing about what he sells - but that's one thing - on the other hand, over the years I've seen more and more of these "original/factory photo"-auctions..

What's the idea? Does owners really like to purchase a "photo"?

Well.. I can tell you, that so far I've seen NO (as in absolutely NO ONE) photos that weren't just copied out of an original sales brochure..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-P-220-Amazon-122S-Estate-stationwagon-1962-photo-photograph-/370926420613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565cf00285

123GT-AMAZON
Oct 24th, 2013, 20:48
? im lost please add more info photos ? brochures what we looking at to talk about im guessing Big Pictures being sold is my only thought so please add more info cheers and no !! snid comments i just cannot understand what you have posted about

Kind Regards

Robert

ClassicVolvoShop
Oct 24th, 2013, 21:16
Link will lead you to a "original factory photo"-auction..

Why does it pay to sell falsefied crap like scans of photos from original sales brochures - printed and described as "factory photos"?

Did it help?

123GT-AMAZON
Oct 24th, 2013, 21:20
yeah cheers for that i just wanted to check i feel all that repro stuff should have repro prices and any original documents priced to suit for rare products and mass produced stuff

but im not into that kinda stuff i like to touch the real deal ;) not stare at a blured ( pixled photo ) due to the number one rule being broken you can shrink photos no worries but you canny enlarge without bad results so not worth the paper its printed on in my view

SO i Agree with you totaly

Regards
Robert

AidanC
Oct 24th, 2013, 21:40
I'm guessing that the costs of copying such a photo are so low that its all gravy for the seller after that. They probably build additional margin into postage too.

I have to confess that I have a weakness for photos of Volvos in older settings and bought a few of them when I visited the museum shop in Gothenburg - they're a memento of my visit. Some day I'll get around to framing them and hanging them in the garage.

amazon69
Oct 24th, 2013, 22:33
Hmmm..interesting that the seller in your example makes a point of noting this: "The image is copyright protected." and then still feels it's ok to sell it.
Might have better luck (and a safer legal position) if he took his/her own pics and tried to sell them.

Volvo Canadian
Oct 25th, 2013, 06:50
Hi - not sure what all the fuss is about, the website clearly says "This image came from the Volvo Car Corporation."

It is under copyright, but that doesn't mean it can't be sold, does it?

ClassicVolvoShop
Oct 25th, 2013, 09:41
I'm guessing that the costs of copying such a photo are so low that its all gravy for the seller after that. They probably build additional margin into postage too.

I have to confess that I have a weakness for photos of Volvos in older settings and bought a few of them when I visited the museum shop in Gothenburg - they're a memento of my visit. Some day I'll get around to framing them and hanging them in the garage.

So... If I ever get around scanning the +3600 original brochures I've got and if I ever get to put them up on a website, just as I've been dreaming to do for years - you would be one of those downloading and printing 'till there's no more ink? :)

It's not that I am totally against that someone scans a brochure-picture and clean it up for a nice medium size poster (I also have some of those).

- what I dislike is the attempt to make it look/appear like:
1) it's a real photo
2) it's somewhat unique
3) it came from the "factory" (and what is that about?? Didn't they produce cars at the factory?)

Hi - not sure what all the fuss is about, the website clearly says "This image came from the Volvo Car Corporation."

It is under copyright, but that doesn't mean it can't be sold, does it?

Well, aim wasn't fuss - and you missed the point. See above.

AidanC
Oct 25th, 2013, 10:13
So... If I ever get around scanning the +3600 original brochures I've got and if I ever get to put them up on a website, just as I've been dreaming to do for years - you would be one of those downloading and printing 'till there's no more ink? :)

No - I'd rather have the actual brochure in my hand - looking at a single picture from a brochure wouldn't be the same as holding the brochure in my hand and imagining myself as a prospective buyer of a new (old) Volvo.

I'd probably spend a lot of time looking at your website if you ever do get around to doing that though - I'd say that there's a lot of material that I'll never see otherwise. The only photos that I have are the ones I bought in the factory shop in Gothenburg. Some day I'll buy a few original brochures to make things complete.

amazon69
Oct 25th, 2013, 10:31
"It is under copyright, but that doesn't mean it can't be sold, does it?"

Of course it can be sold..by the © holder.

BillKat
Oct 25th, 2013, 11:08
Can't make out if they're claiming it's an original photo or a scan/re-print.

Selling an original print's no problem. Making & selling copies without permission or licensing is another thing. But whether the copyright owner finds out and is bothered is another thing, of course. The main thing is if this is a scan & blow-up they should clearly say so. It's a bit richly priced if so.

Masterchief
Oct 25th, 2013, 12:41
Im a fan of a Bang and Olufsen hifi (the older stuff, I cant afford it new!) and on the forum Im a member of you pay a fee for membership but you can download all the old service manuals and brochures etc. Some one downloaded them all and sells them on disk on ebay. Theres nothing that can be done about it even though the website was given permision to publish them by the copyright holder and ebay are not interested in the slightest about removing them. Also its not that obvious on ebay that you will recieve a disk not the genuine article.