PDA

View Full Version : Have you?

A- W
May 3rd, 2006, 15:14
All of us are car nuts obviously, but how many people have actually taken it one step further and done some advanced driving?

Either IAM/RoSPA or even HPC?

:Banane32:

Mike_Brace
May 3rd, 2006, 20:13
This was something I took on board myself back in 1968 when I was 18. I went back to a driving school after passing my test and pased my IAM test on my second attempt. This provided invaluable further training. North Wales Police ran a better driving course about ten years ago which I attended with my son Matt who had not long passed his test. On the observed drive I dropped a couple of points but in fairness I was engaged in conversation for the whole drive to see whether this has any detrimental effect - perhaps it did!

Mike

Bob
May 3rd, 2006, 20:40
I think this is a suitable time to mention that I am discussing a discount scheme with the IAM for VOC members. This will be a discount for the training/test package the IAM offer. Details soon.

I have been a member of the IAM since the late 1970's/early 1980's, can't quite remember. They use a similar system to police driver training except you are not allowed to exceed speed limits. It is well worth it. The book to read is "Road Craft" and can be found in most good book shops.

Bob

peterelectric
May 3rd, 2006, 23:03
Seems a good idea. I did some advanced driving lessons 5-6 years ago and I was brought up to date as so much had changed in driving technique. However, defensive or anticipatory driving remains the way to go, and should not be confused with overcautious driving which can be very frustrating for other drivers.

Do they do courses if you have an auto?

A- W
May 4th, 2006, 11:13
Do they do courses if you have an auto?

Yes they do.

For a little further information have a look at www.advanced-driving.co.uk

:cyclops:

TJMurphy
May 4th, 2006, 18:10
I've done a few courses, but nothing in the last 3 years unfortunately.

I passed the IAM test years ago and have also done the half day starter with the HPC, a one day course with Ride-Drive and a couple of skid pan sessions.

Would definitely be interested in some additional training though and if it can be through a group like the VOC so much the better.

(By the way, the IAM has it's 50th anniversary this year so there are a number of special events being organised, including demonstration drives and open-days. Check out www.iam.org.uk and if you go through their menu system to find the local groups you should see what's happening locally - Thames Valley Group page is here (http://www.tvgam.org.uk/) for example.)

Alec Dawe
May 4th, 2006, 19:57
I think this is a suitable time to mention that I am discussing a discount scheme with the IAM for VOC members. This will be a discount for the training/test package the IAM offer. Details soon.Bob

This sounds like a very good idea. My company's idea of driving training is a 30 minute video, and telling us not to exceed any speed limits ever (but in the same breath telling us to increase productivity!)
"Why do you drive so many miles?"
"Cos Norfolk is a big county"
"Can't you cut down?"
"Only if you move the towns closer together!"

g-wagon
May 4th, 2006, 20:58
I have only ever done one "advanced" driving lesson, as it was free with my mums work. It was pretty rubbish tro be honest. It didn't tell me a massive amount that I didn't know already. I had only passed my test about 2 years before I did this.

It is funny how some advice given in this completely contradicts advice given in order to pass oyur normal driving test.
For example, to pass a driving test, you are told, when stationary at lights or whatever, you have to have your handbrake on, in nuetral. Whereas this chap told me to have 1st gear engaged and to only have my foot on the brake. Nothing to do with the handbrake. He said this was due to the fact that the brake lights alert drivers that you have stopped, and the brake pedal brakes all wheels, whereas the handbrake only brakes the back wheels, so with your foot on the brake, this will mean you have more stopping power should someone rear end you.

TJMurphy
May 5th, 2006, 08:45
I have only ever done one "advanced" driving lesson, as it was free with my mums work. It was pretty rubbish tro be honest. It didn't tell me a massive amount that I didn't know already. I had only passed my test about 2 years before I did this.

It is funny how some advice given in this completely contradicts advice given in order to pass oyur normal driving test.
For example, to pass a driving test, you are told, when stationary at lights or whatever, you have to have your handbrake on, in nuetral. Whereas this chap told me to have 1st gear engaged and to only have my foot on the brake. Nothing to do with the handbrake. He said this was due to the fact that the brake lights alert drivers that you have stopped, and the brake pedal brakes all wheels, whereas the handbrake only brakes the back wheels, so with your foot on the brake, this will mean you have more stopping power should someone rear end you.

If this was all that was new to you post the normal driving test lessons then, as you obviously suspect already, it wasn't an advanced driving lesson (all IMHO of course) ...

Bob, tell us more about this IAM deal (hint, hint :). To be honest, as the IAM is a charity and their "Skills for Life" program is only £85 anyway I'm not sure there's a lot of room for a discount anyway? Unless you've got something else in mind?

Mike_Brace
May 5th, 2006, 22:24
This sort of investment should pay for itself in no time. Just one collision avoided will have more than paid for it. The only problem is you don't know when you've made that saving. For me the only collision for me in 20 years of high mileage driving was when the front offside hub fell of a Transit (not mine) on a bend - difficult to control with only three wheels but managed to spin off the barrier and bring the vehicle to rest on the hatched area of a junction!
I would highly recomend any adavance driving course if for no other reason than it helps keep yourself safer and reduces the stress of driving.

Mike

g-wagon
May 6th, 2006, 11:25
If this was all that was new to you post the normal driving test lessons then, as you obviously suspect already, it wasn't an advanced driving lesson (all IMHO of course) ...

Yeh exactly, hence the "adavanced" part. There were a few pointers, but nothing that tested me. It was more a few hours of some guy rattling off lots of facts to make him sound cool. And things like, look to the horizon, then look closer, then closer, then your rear view, sometimes it felt as though I wasn't even looking at the road at all. LOL.

But yeh, it was pretty useless and I would be arather annoyed if I had paid to do that. It was just a schlumberger thing for workers and their family, as you all know how safety consious oil companies are now.

ivor940
May 6th, 2006, 13:01
Hi, Some insurance companies give a reduction for Advanced Driving qualifications.

ivor940