PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem

jamesayres
Sep 10th, 2004, 17:10
I have an intermittant problem with my electrics. Now and again the fuel gauge, indicators, fan and windscreen wipers stop working. They then start working again and for no apparent reason. Has anyone any ideas what this might be and if there's an easy solution? Can I DIY it or is it an auto electrics person? I ask as I don't know anything about electrics.

Thanks
James

222s
Sep 10th, 2004, 17:22
James,

If those items all share the same fuse (this can be confirmed or otherwise by checking a wiring diagram), it is quite likely to be a loose connection or similar in the fuse box, which is causing the problems you describe.

Paul

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
(Half of 221 spares car now in boxes...)

stuart131
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:03
Ditto 222 comment ,if happens sporadically then could be one of the following

1 Poltergeist activity (call Derek Acorah from Most Haunted )
2 Dodgy fuse as per 222s
3 there may be old wiring that is broken down within the plastic covering and not obvious from casual inspection.
4 Could be corroded connections at the fuse box ,clean all with emery paper and replace any corroded connectors .
5 Worth checking the metal strip that holds your light bulbs in as mine were seriously corroded resulting in no lights/some lights /indicators no flash but full on and every combination of these you could think of .

Basically check every wire /fuse and connection /and replace /thorougly clean where required one at a time .
Keep the faith ,you will track it down but will take patience and a few bits from Halfords

jamesayres
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:34
Thank you very much for your comments. I will try the many suggestions and will post again if I have no success. Although I'm sure everything is covered in your advice. Not so sure about the poltergeist though!
James