PDA

View Full Version : T4 clutch upgrades?

Antz
Dec 6th, 2013, 14:23
Planning ahead to do a clutch change on the T4 next spring and before I go for it, Ive got a couple of questions

1 - Flywheel. Im guessing its a dual mass so would I be able to swap this out for a single mass from an early 850 T5? (or fit a lightweight one from Kalmar Union?)
2 - Clutch. I fitted an 850R one to my 240 T5 as an upgrade. Is this the same case for the T4 or am I limited to just the T4 clutch?
3 - What power can a T4 clutch take before it starts to slip? I dont plan on going for more power but the temptation is always there and I dont fancy having to rip the clutch out again to replace it for one that can take the power.

960kg
Dec 6th, 2013, 19:07
Planning ahead to do a clutch change on the T4 next spring and before I go for it, Ive got a couple of questions

1 - Flywheel. Im guessing its a dual mass so would I be able to swap this out for a single mass from an early 850 T5? (or fit a lightweight one from Kalmar Union?)
2 - Clutch. I fitted an 850R one to my 240 T5 as an upgrade. Is this the same case for the T4 or am I limited to just the T4 clutch?
3 - What power can a T4 clutch take before it starts to slip? I dont plan on going for more power but the temptation is always there and I dont fancy having to rip the clutch out again to replace it for one that can take the power.

You can fit the 850 T5 clutch with it`s flywheel and no DMF

You can still use the Concentric Clutch Cylinder inside the bell housing with this setup.

As regards which 850/V70 clutch unless you are going to achieve some really high BHP just go for the early V70 as mine is.

I am quietly waiting for my foot to go through the floor to engage a gear as i don`t think there is much life left in my clutch, the grip is about 30mm off the floor.....but it is the standard original clutch on 165,000 and with its 240bhp as standard and what i have thrown at it with a remap cat. back and an 18T there is no sign at all of slip.

strbryan
Dec 6th, 2013, 19:34

Antz you will need to check what input shaft size yours is as from memory yours will be the larger type.

If this is the case you will not be able to use the clutch from the 850/pre 99 X70's.Your only option would be the S60R/V70R/2.4 T5 clutch and a billet clutch..

mitchyboy01
Dec 6th, 2013, 21:02
I had the 850r clutch and SMF fitted to my old T4 and it was a straight swap. Just needed flywheel and clutch bolts from Volvo which were around £25. The setup didn't feel any different from stock and only cost me £15 for a used 850 flywheel and 200ish for the clutch.
The stock setup still felt ok but on inspection the DMF was falling to bits!!

I still have the 850r clutch and flywheel in my garage as spares incase mine decides to give up.

EastbourneChris
Dec 6th, 2013, 21:42
Would the 850 flywheel fit the diesel? Been looking into an SMF for mine but so many conflicting opinions. Would be nice to be able to get a used one whilst getting a new clutch

strbryan
Dec 6th, 2013, 21:44
I had the 850r clutch and SMF fitted to my old T4 and it was a straight swap. Just needed flywheel and clutch bolts from Volvo which were around £25. The setup didn't feel any different from stock and only cost me £15 for a used 850 flywheel and 200ish for the clutch.
The stock setup still felt ok but on inspection the DMF was falling to bits!!

I still have the 850r clutch and flywheel in my garage as spares incase mine decides to give up.

What year was your old T4?

Antz
Dec 6th, 2013, 21:58
Thanks for the replies guys. So I can use a 850 single mass flywheel but clutch is still open ended as I'll probably be fitting a new gearbox. Mine has been whining for 2 years. I'll try and oil change on it but I'm expecting to swap it for a quieter box. Depending on that I guess depends on my clutch setup

strbryan
Dec 6th, 2013, 22:41
If yours is the larger dia input shaft then you will not be able to use the single mass flywheel with the P2 clutch..You will need the billet flywheel from TTV racing (http://ttvracing.com/) (this is where Don gets his from but TTV are £100 cheaper) and you will still need to set the pressure plate..

mitchyboy01
Dec 6th, 2013, 23:00
If yours is the larger dia input shaft then you will not be able to use the single mass flywheel with the P2 clutch..You will need the billet flywheel from TTV racing (http://ttvracing.com/) (this is where Don gets his from but TTV are £100 cheaper) and you will still need to set the pressure plate..

Yes I think the 2003/2004 models had the thicker input shaft if I remember correctly.

mitchyboy01
Dec 6th, 2013, 23:01
What year was your old T4?

My old one was 2000 p1.5. My current is 2001 phase 2.

Antz
Dec 6th, 2013, 23:36

Yes I think the 2003/2004 models had the thicker input shaft if I remember correctly.

Dammit that's a pain but thanks for the link. I was looking at Don's flywheels and wondered if there was anywhere cheaper. To be honest though, half of me was thinking about fitting a upgraded flywheel anyway whilst its all in bits. Expensive to do but itll take some of the rotating mass off the engine which Ive always found from previous experience helps the engine rev up a lot more freely and with a ARD Tuning belt pulley that should help a bit further.

I suppose it all boils down to my gearbox. If it shuts up with an oil change then Ill have to go for a nice billet flywheel. If it doesn't then I have free reign of what to do. Looking at the price of a replacement DMF, Id rather have a billet one!

strbryan
Dec 7th, 2013, 00:20
Just to confirm, Don sells the TTV fly wheels @ £100 above retail..Don has a deal with TTV that VVT will only sell the Volvo flywheels through Don..But if you was to ask for the fly wheel from the Focus ST/RS you should be able to get them for £100 less..

960kg
Dec 7th, 2013, 09:39
Since i have been checking and reading up on clutches as i want a stronger one for mine when it goes......

The 20 tooth = up to 2002 and after 2002 = 23 tooth

It isn`t exactly Ph1 or Ph2

This is for 850 including the R and X70 & X40 turbo

strbryan
Dec 7th, 2013, 15:06
Since i have been checking and reading up on clutches as i want a stronger one for mine when it goes......

The 20 tooth = up to 2002 and after 2002 = 23 tooth

It isn't exactly Ph1 or Ph2

This is for 850 including the R and X70 & X40 turbo

Since Antz V40 is a 2003 your information is irrelevant..

Antz
Dec 7th, 2013, 17:10
Just to confirm, Don sells the TTV fly wheels @ £100 above retail..Don has a deal with TTV that VVT will only sell the Volvo flywheels through Don..But if you was to ask for the fly wheel from the Focus ST/RS you should be able to get them for £100 less..

sneaky sneak. Like it. Thanks for your help mate. Much appreciated.