PDA

View Full Version : Just got 2005 XC90 - Sat Nav question & tinting of back windows

Genghis
May 10th, 2006, 12:01
Hi All

Just picked up a very nice XC90 (D5 SE which a bunch of extras)

I have a TOMTOM700 which is very good and am getting use to the Volvo RTI (a lot different but once you get use to it then it's fine)

Couple of questions from looking around various forums

I don't know if the RTI works - I saw some people say that the latest discs work (2005) but previous ones don't - I would like to know how I know if I have the latest set of DVD's which work - and if someone lives in London which radio station is best to have the RTI set to for travel updates.

Lastly - my car doesn't have the privacy glass but I want in the back of the car (have the DVD screens and am worried about thefts by people seeing all the stuff my son leaves in the car). I have phoned various companies whom all charge around £250 - has anyone had this done by a third party - and is the quality OK?

Thanks for any help you can give

Jamie

perussell
May 16th, 2006, 09:26
Re the RTI - Depends upon how old the car is, you don't say. Likely if you have a 3 disc DVD set covering all of Europe this is Ok and the RTI will work. If you have an earlier 1 disc DVD then it probably doesn't have the RTI.
The RTI traffic info, for what it's worth, tunes automatically to Classic FM. You need do absolutely nothing, the system should do it for you though you should note that sometimes the system make take a few minutes after starting before acquiring the traffic signal.
Having said that the RTI failed again last night - major accident on M4 at J17 with an 8 mile tail back of stationary traffic - the RTI didn't pick this up!!!

Thank heavens for my faithful Trafficmaster Freeway which warned me well in advance and allowed me to avoid.

The RTI system also missed a 12 mile queue on the M4 at Reading last week.

As for privacy glass I wouldn't bother. my kids have always been able to see the rear DVD players quite OK.

Genghis
May 19th, 2006, 09:51
Hi - thanks for the reply - my wife told me she got a message through the other day on her way up to Manchester - I guess the messages aren't that frequent - do they only come through if you set a route - or do they come through when the system is on?

Thanks for the privacy glass advice!!!

perussell
May 19th, 2006, 10:11
I believe you are only automatically alerted to messages if you have set a route, however I think they are there anyway in so far as you can navigate to messages from the main menu on the SatNav. You would be surprised how many messages can appear depending upon the traffic conditions and where you are - I have seen up to 9 messages listed for an area at one time - if you trust them.......................I'm sure they are right some of the time!

CTCNetwork
Jun 10th, 2006, 01:17
Hi,

If you feel up to it, and can handle removing the door trim and panel....?

You could always fit the tint film yourself.
Just a matter of some washing up liquid (diluted and in a spray bottle - a hand held one for gardening or an empty spray bottle from a cleaner) and sharp (very) knife, scissors and a squeegee.
Add clear nail varnish when completed and dried out (after a few days) and the job is done...

Apart from the benefit of people not clearly seeing whats in the car, the film actually toughens up the window. Also, if the glass is broken, you get far fewer glass fragments in the car.

Hope this helps,

Des. . . ;)

Genghis
Jun 20th, 2006, 14:59
Hi Des

Thanks for the post - if I did it myself chances are I would buying a new car and hiding my attempts at doing this in the River Thames somewhere....

I found a couple of places near me that do it - (I presume they all do as you say) though their prices differ greatly (£200 to £500!!).

I think I'll be trying the 200 pound place....

Cheers for the help

Jamie

mhon72
Jun 21st, 2006, 03:34
Prices do vary on tinting installations. It depends on the quality of the film they use and obviously the skill of the installer.
I guess you have to look at the quality of the work carried out and any recommendations would be great.
I wouldn't try the DIY method unless you have experience of handling and applying vinyl-type films. It could very easily end up in tears. :angry2:

seany
Jun 21st, 2006, 14:16
Hi All

Just picked up a very nice XC90 (D5 SE which a bunch of extras)

How jealous am I???:lep_wink:

Genghis
Jun 21st, 2006, 14:38
You would not be jealous if you saw my face the first time I filled the &*&ing thing up with Diesel..............

CTCNetwork
Jun 27th, 2006, 01:59
Hi,
You would not be jealous if you saw my face the first time I filled the &*&ing thing up with Diesel..............
Uhhh.... The D5 is a diesel...!!??
Or did you fill up with petrol??!!

As for the film install - not too difficult on the side windows - they are not so big.
It is that rear window that is difficult. Mostly because of its size.
Can be done as a single piece or in two halves.
The problem with doing it in one piece (until you have gotten used to handling the film) is that you can crease the film, and once you have done that, no amount of spraying your mix and squeegie power will ever get rid of the creases.
There are a few on my rear window (see gallery (http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3429&cat=3106) - :embarrassed: ). Also the blacked out edges, being paint are raised from the glass and so show up. So to the heating element strips...
But people do not see through :)

Des. . . ;)

Genghis
Jun 28th, 2006, 10:00
Luckily I didn't fill up with petrol :angry2: but my tank was on empty and filled up on a motorway services on the way back from South Wales - cost around £60 - my previous car's tank wasn't that big - hence the shock!!!!

Thanks for your note & the link - with my DIY skills I am now convinced to get someone else to do it!!

Cheers

Jamie

CTCNetwork
Jul 7th, 2006, 18:09
Hi,

Have just tried doing this for myself (did it previously without a problem) and have had no end of trouble doing 2 windows..

Pain in the lower abdomen.. May have to consider getting some one to do it. Then I can yell at them if they don't get it right!!..

Des. . . ;)