PDA

View Full Version : continuing saga of the heater

stuart131
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:27
sorry all,I know im a pain .
Spent ages trying to sort this thing out .Thanks to advice from yourselves I can now have hot and cold air from heater ,however ,on cold setting ,water /antifreeze drips steadily off the brake pedal into my boot ,on hot setting no drips .
This isnt an issue as the weather gets colder but frustrating.
i have checked the water pipes in the engine bay and could not see leakage anywhere ,must be from inside the heater gubbins ,
Any ideas ?is the heater easy to remove (the bit within the car )

best regards

222s
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:56
Stuart,

Unfortunately, this sounds like the heater matrix, which is reputedly a pain to fix / replace, as IIRC, it involves a lot of dismantling (at least for an Amazon...). If you contact Tony Barrett at South Service (http://www.amazon.uk.com/index2.htm) or Rob at Amazon Cars (http://www.amazoncars.co.uk/) - they should be able to advise and / or supply any parts that you may require.

However, I'm very confused as to how a heater leak can end up dripping onto the brake pedal! It is definately water / antifreeze is it? I've been told that the brake and clutch master cylinders can leak back onto their relevant pedals....

Fingers crossed that it's just the heater!

Paul

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
(Half of 221 spares car now in boxes...)

stuart131
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:35
Thanks for reply ,just had brakes done and work well ,no clutch problems touch wood and drips only occur when lever is in cold position so fairly sure its heater related .either way sounds like a pain .

cheers !

Stuart Read
Oct 1st, 2004, 15:41
Hi

A can of 'Radweld' in the radiator has fixed this for me in the past. The seal around the activating lever, fails to do its job if left in one position for too long.

S

222s
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:05
I would be very wary of using any such radiator sealers / leak fixers - from all the reports that I have read in the classic care magazines, they tend to clog the heater matrix, and so vastly reduce the efficiency of the heater (and for that matter, probobly aslo the radiator itself). If it's just the seal that is gone, surely it is better to replace that, than to risk causing permenant damage?

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

stuart131
Oct 4th, 2004, 13:53
Many thanks to you both for your suggestions ,on this occasion i will study the manual very carefully before doing anything drastic .It appears having spoken to a couple of people now that the operating lever seal could very well be the culprit.Im sure rad weld could probably sort this in the short term but I suppose a new seal would have to go in at some point..
If I do attempt this myself ,needless to say I will post my incompetent attempts for your entertainment .
I suspect there may be some ancient old gunge in the matrix as I have had to get a new radiator recently .The system was apparently flushed through engine wise ,but I wonder if ,a,the flush through extended to the matrix itself or b whether any residual stuff ended up i there as a result...saying that , if its constantly on hot the flow is obviously not impeded ,so if putting setting on cold this would divert flow away from the matrix so its got to be the seal there that is the culprit ?
Ill let you know how I broke the matrix/resolved it ,

Thanks again chaps