PDA

View Full Version : 122S gear box mounting

Julian King (South Africa)
Aug 9th, 1999, 20:18
I had bad engine vibration transmitting through the body. Most of it was
cured by fitting genuine VOLVO engine mounts which were MUCH softer than the
substitutes that I had used.Does the same apply to the gearbox mount? Is the
remaining vibration likely to be caused by a mount that is too hard?

jamie taylor
Feb 7th, 2000, 22:40
fit gearbox mounting rubber and the two rubbers further down the prop shaft. it is significant the role this plays.

Mike Arnold
Mar 18th, 2000, 08:54
I agree with the other reply that the pair of rubber prop shaft mounts are important to cut down vibration. Many years ago I had a knackered engine in my 122 which leaked oil. The oil sprayed the underside of the car which, although it stopped rusting, made the the rubber mounts go soft and encouraged vibration.

One other thought: check the universal joint in the propshaft. If there is any play that too can cause vibration.

Julian King
Apr 10th, 2000, 20:42
Thanks for your help. I am puzzled by the reference to TWO rubber mountings aft of the gearbox mounting. I can find only one big round job at the joint of the front and rear sections of the two-piece propshaft. What am I missing here.

Mike Arnold
Apr 15th, 2000, 19:42
My 1966 122S has a pair of bushes (about 3cm in diameter) where the floating prop shaft support connects to the chassis. The prop shaft may be in another bush but I cannot remember. Of, course, you car may have been modified or be different.

VERO
Sep 2nd, 2000, 02:15
CHECK YOU UNIVERSAL JOINTS AND CENTER SUPPORT
BEARING ON YOUR DRIVE SHAFT
COMMON PROBLEMS

jamie t
Oct 30th, 2000, 22:19
having just fitted overdrive on my 1970 131 i can confirm the other configuration of a large single rubber seal for the prop shaft
i had taken the 2 rubber seals from a 1966 121

ntallis
Jan 8th, 2001, 12:08
Alternative gearbox mounting that can be used is a Land Rover engine mounting, this has the advantage of being stiffer than the o/e mounts. A stiffer mount can help particularly with an overdrive gearbox due to the additional weight of the overdrive. It is important to adequately support the rear of the gearbox, because if the rear of the 'box is allowed to drop, the alignment of the propshaft front/rear joints will not be equal and this will also generate a vibration through the body.
If the vibration you are experiencing is a harsh metalic one then replacing the two circular supports for the centre prop bearing will definitely help, also a stiffer rear g'box mount will help this as a soft mount can result in metal to metal contact between the g'box and the x member.

curious (Guest)
Jan 12th, 2001, 23:42
are you the tallis who used to rally amazons? or related?

Nick Tallis (Guest)
Feb 14th, 2001, 12:56
Dear Curious,

I think the Tallis you are refering to would be my uncle, 'John Tallis', he used to compete back in the '60's, most notably the London to Sidney Marathon (1968 I think). Believe it or not he still has the car and it's only got a couple of thousand miles more than when it finished the event.

I competed in the Rally of the Vales (South Wales)in about '94, this might be what you're thinking of.

Regards

Nick.