PDA

View Full Version : Halogeen lights in an Amazon?

FrankSmulders
Feb 17th, 2001, 12:26
Hello everybody,
my father has a problem. He has got a 32 year old Amazon and he has tried to replace the conventional 45 Watt lights with Halogeen 55 Watt lights. Does the wiring support this and of course the reflectors behind the fitting?
I hope somebody has experience with my father's problem, thanks for all your answers...
Frank Smulders from the Netherlands (so excuses for any strange words...)

arnom
Feb 18th, 2001, 09:05
I have run halogen headlights for about 10 years without any problems. I did fit a power relay for high beam to bypass the "tired" wiring and give the lamps full voltage. When I changed them I replaced the lamp/reflector unit with ones from Halfords (UK chain motor store) and these have not given any burning problems.

mike_arnold@tesco.net

tony lewis
Nov 5th, 2011, 09:44
i'm guessing that the moggy minor boys will have a lucas conversion kit that will fit the amazon and be a bit cheaper than a volvo one (after a crash i fitted moggy headlights that i had spare in my amazon and they were a straight fit)

asneddon
Nov 6th, 2011, 22:31
Its my understanding that the modern bulbs actually pull less current then the older ones for more output. That is from a salesman though!

lukeball
Nov 7th, 2011, 01:34
The only reason to go to halogens is so that you have brighter headlights that last longer. If you don't have halogens already, you are going to need different lamps as well. The halogen base is different.

Halogens also get a lot hotter, so you want lamps that are made for halogens. The better the lamp, the greater the output. I am running lamps for the early 142, and they seem to work great., but Hella and Cibie make some as well.

Factory wiring can handle the extra power of 60W halogens, but if you want to run 100W halogens or higher, you need to upgrade the wiring. I also upgraded to a larger relay.

You also have two choices for halogens: H1 (single beam) or H4 (dual beam).

Halogens is the best choice that I ever made, and the bulbs can actually be found locally for a lot less.