PDA

View Full Version : What suppliers do you use?

jgtuk
May 31st, 2006, 15:07
Online or otherwise - Do you use main dealer?

general_joe
May 31st, 2006, 15:57
In order of preference, GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) and then Ebay. :) There are other notables such as Braydon's (a breaker) at www.volvocarparts.co.uk and many tuners, notably Kalmar Union and SW Autos, but tuners are no (little!) use when dealing with NA engined 740 bricks so I can't recommend one, although others probably can.

Note this is not an exhaustive list but should give you some ideas.

sarge
May 31st, 2006, 16:53
Generally use my local dealer but have had good service from Nordic on the two occasions that I have used them, and have had a couple of bits from a breaker on e-bay as well.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD

Velorum
May 31st, 2006, 17:44
I have found Braydons good for new parts - they will also do second hand ones I believe. Ebay can be good but I certainly wouldnt risk buying anything expensive unless I had seen and inspected it first having had some nasty experiences with non car related items in the past.

Ian

STE-MAL
May 31st, 2006, 19:23
Hi, I can see you are on the other side of the country, but I use Brookhouse Volvo in Ipswich. He sells new and used parts. For old and new Volvos. Mainly Nordic but a lot of genuine parts as well. Simon, the main guy, is worth his weight in gold and more on top. The young bloke Greg knows his job too. And they are so helpful.
To any members of the V.O.C, have a look through the Driver magazine and you will see his add, It's a full page and it's their every month.

jgtuk
May 31st, 2006, 21:12
Cheers guys - online dealers seem to be thin on the ground really, although GSF are pretty good. Used Eurocarparts on a few occasions as well but I don't recomend them - poor customer service. The online breakers are a good bet for some items. My 'local' dealer is about 60 miles away. Oh well.

SIAMBLUE
May 31st, 2006, 22:20
I normally do the easier jobs on my own car, always get the servicing parts from Braydons in Dalston, for any major work i use Stuart at SW Auto's wouldn't trust my car with anyone else,

Gary,

charlotte001
May 31st, 2006, 22:31
~I only use the main stealer for information. Prefer either L&R in Norwich or GSF, Europarts or my account with Payne engine components. I think the old man is going to lose the row over me taking the V6 to bits soon though :D

Charltote

peteS40
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:56
I got a few non-critical used bits from Braydons in edmonton and they seemed pretty good, when you speak to them on the phone they give you the impression they haven't written down a word you've said and will mess it right up, but then within a day or two the bits arrive no worries!

Nordic were good in the sense that they were very keen to double check my part number, maybe they've had cases of people ordering the wrong parts, however I have found them a bit hard to get in touch with... maybe just busy but the guy doesn't seem to be too keen on trying to sell me stuff! For some things the prices don't seem much cheaper than volvo either.

GSF good, they usually accidentally throw in a free part as well I got a dented can of "radiator system flush" last time for no reason at all ;) But they don't have all that many S40 parts.

Eurocarparts seem fine if the part is in their stocklist but otherwise they seem to have a complete mare. Also they only deliver to billing addresses and don't seem to use recorded delivery so my bits sit waiting on the doorstep for anyone to steal!

Partsforvolvosonline are good IMO and they list volvo part numbers so you can double check what you are getting. But they don't have all that much stuff available for s40 either.

I always seem to be in the local dealer, its got to the point where I am such a good customer that when I bought a caliper t'other week I didn't have to pay any surcharge for bringing back the old one! I tend to get all the minor things like special gaskets, nuts, bolts from them but try and get the expensive parts from elsewhere unless it is something rare or odd. One thing about the dealer is good service though: I've got a good rapport with my local parts manager, and typically if I email him a part number from VADIS say mid morning, he'll have it in by the end of the day for me to pick up. The only bad thing is you have to trapse through the shrowroom and all the suits, because most of the customers have deliveries they don't have a desk so you've got to go through like a lemon and ring some bell, of course all the slimy suits ignore you because you don't exactly look like you can afford a brand new volvo (if I could, I wouldn't exactly be trying to order cheapo parts now would I?!)

Cheers, Pete

P.S: If you have read this far, and know of any other good cheaper on-line places for things which are perhaps a little rare then do let me (and all of us) know.

P.P.S: Check ads in "Volvo driver" if you are a VOC member, anyone advertising in there often offers a good discount to VOC members. In fact I saw a part I need advertised in the last issue which was dirt cheap for what they were selling... must try and ring them tomorrow... I'm not going to tell you lot what it was in case there's only one going and you get in there before me LOL!!!!