PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Cat

charlotte001
Jun 2nd, 2006, 23:02
Does anyone know the MoT stance if I remove the cat on my Volvo ? I had this done to my Range Rover and got told on a 4x4 the usage regs say it doesn't have to be there. A car is a different thing apparently can't see a reason for it to be there if the emissions are low enough.

Ok ignore this post just found out that as my car was registered prior to August 1992 I can legally and MoT legal remove the cat and stick a full exhaust on it.
Charlotte

gnhuk
Jun 2nd, 2006, 23:09
I wish I could remove my cat - bl**dy thing keeps trying to bite my fingers as I type!

Velorum
Jun 2nd, 2006, 23:40
I certainly wasnt impressed by the cost of a replacement when my old one disintregrated last year!

neil stevenson
Jun 3rd, 2006, 00:20
One thing to remember is that you should remove the cat before you repair an exhaust by welding.
Apparently the gas formed when welding can destroy the cat.
On the subject of things you should not do I have discovered that a battery should never be left directly on a concrete floor or it will discharge and cease to hold a charge properly. Don't know why, but most dealers seem to know about this and keep them on racks, sheets of cardboard or sheets of wood.

peteS40
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:07
Another welding thing you should never do is try and weld a fuel tank...
... especially if its full of petrol or made of plastic :D :Banane45:

Sprintman
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:18
Why the heck should a bettery lose it's charge and stop holding a charge if it's left on a concrete floor? There doesn't seem to be any logical reason, can anybody answer this?

Rbphot
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:03
As for the battery, I think is more to do with temp, concerete is mostly cold and cold kills batteries IMO.

Chartlotte, as for the CAT, if your car is pre 92 the law doesn't apply, but you will need the bypass pipe to be drilled so the lambda sensor can be fitted.

Had this done on a 440 I had a few years back.

Ray

charlotte001
Jun 10th, 2006, 14:22
does anyone know where/who can make or sell me a bypass pipe?
Even if it's imported (might give me an excuse to visit the USA him in doors may not approve of that)

Charlotte

Rbphot
Jun 10th, 2006, 20:13
Hi Charlotte, Any tuning or exhaust company should be able to put one together, just enquiry when you call then if the are able to de-cat your car, most can.

I think when I had mine done they used the joints from the cat, and welded a pipe in the middle, then drilled and welded on a nut so the senor could be screwed in.

Ray