PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter Bumpers - it works!

MissDMeanor
Jun 4th, 2006, 19:07
To restore my bumpers back to the original condition, a kind sole on VOC suggested smarming peanut butter:omg_smile: So, I tried it out.....and it works!:Banane42:

Before:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/JulieBower/oops.jpg

After:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/JulieBower/after.jpg

During:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/JulieBower/takingitoff.jpg

DanTheMan6776
Jun 4th, 2006, 19:12
Mmm, Tasty Bumpers..

Thats a Nice tip but I tend to use Autoglym bumper care on mine, I put it on everything, Bumpers, Engine Bay, Sill's etc. Its a great prodcut and it makes everything look brand new.

Dan.

Matt30462
Jun 4th, 2006, 19:21
Nice sheen afterward. But the questions are. How long does it last? What condition should it be prior to the "Peanut Butter" treatment? Smooth or Crunchy?

MissDMeanor
Jun 4th, 2006, 19:27
Nice sheen afterward. But the questions are. How long does it last? What condition should it be prior to the "Peanut Butter" treatment? Smooth or Crunchy?

I'm well pleased with it Matt. Most definitely smooth peanut butter. 79p Tesco's own brand. I'll let you know how long it lasts in time. And, the bumpers were faded and grotty before hand but what prompted me to do something about it was that I got polish on the bumpers when I was doing the bodywork - and couldn't get it off.....'til the peanut butter!

The only thing I'm worried about now is being chased by dogs wherever I go:omg_smile:

morsing
Jun 4th, 2006, 20:37
Lol - When I read the text I thought you where trying to make the bumpers the same colour as the car :D

Mmm... Great dane

Pedro Fandango
Jun 4th, 2006, 21:23
i notice you've got no pics of Paddy licking the rear bumper, was that your tea lol

timway
Jun 4th, 2006, 21:26
The only thing I'm worried about now is being chased by dogs wherever I go:omg_smile:

Dont worry, I'm sure they wont be able to keep up with Mouthy!
(unless they are riding in Vilma of course :cyclops:)

patjoseph
Jun 4th, 2006, 21:27
Its the oil in it

Velorum
Jun 4th, 2006, 22:10
And its slightly abrasive?

Matt30462
Jun 4th, 2006, 22:54
Would I get a better finish if I used Sunpat rather than Tesco?

Velorum
Jun 4th, 2006, 23:01
Perhaps 'Whole Earth' organic - it is quite oily and at the same time abrasive. the best of both worlds - available at Tesco Extra.

MissDMeanor
Jun 5th, 2006, 17:38
Would I get a better finish if I used Sunpat rather than Tesco?

Hmmm....I spent a long time chewing it over but eventually decided not to spend any more of my hard-earned dough. If you do decide to go for the Sunpat I'd like to know how you get on:huepfen024:

Are you feeling nutty enough to give Olive a peanut butter spread then Matt?

Matt30462
Jun 5th, 2006, 19:07
Well Jules, it's a choice between smothering the wife with chocolate or Olive with peanut butter. Quite frankly the peanut butter sounds more attractive right now and certainly less expensive.

MissDMeanor
Jun 5th, 2006, 22:03
Well Jules, it's a choice between smothering the wife with chocolate or Olive with peanut butter. Quite frankly the peanut butter sounds more attractive right now and certainly less expensive.

Lol......and in the long term?

seany
Jun 6th, 2006, 10:27
To restore my bumpers back to the original condition, a kind sole on VOC suggested smarming peanut butter:omg_smile: So, I tried it out.....and it works!:Banane42:

Told ya it works Julie ..... take it Paddy did the "polish off" manoeuvre and you did the "polish on" bit then?? :Banane32:

MissDMeanor
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:25
Told ya it works Julie ..... take it Paddy did the "polish off" manoeuvre and you did the "polish on" bit then?? :Banane32:

A brilliant tip - thanks Seany:Dancing_chief:

I was just about to lick it off myself when Paddy beat me to it:)

Matt 850 GLT
Jun 9th, 2006, 18:08
Mmm, Tasty Bumpers..

Thats a Nice tip but I tend to use Autoglym bumper care on mine, I put it on everything, Bumpers, Engine Bay, Sill's etc. Its a great prodcut and it makes everything look brand new.

Dan.

Toast??? LOL, me too never thought of peanut butter.

st5ve
Jun 12th, 2006, 17:26
Very good tip and looks great, how long do you leave the peanut butter on and do you wash off with warm water?

Fulcanelli
Jun 13th, 2006, 13:00
I tried this at the weekend - never again!

Stupidly, I got it on the paintwork and although I thought I'd got it off with a jet wash, it baked on in the sun and I spent the entire evening getting it off again.

bobcat
Jun 13th, 2006, 13:05
I tried this at the weekend - never again!

Stupidly, I got it on the paintwork and although I thought I'd got it off with a jet wash, it baked on in the sun and I spent the entire evening getting it off again.

how did the bumpers turn out?

Fulcanelli
Jun 13th, 2006, 13:55
how did the bumpers turn out?

Mmm not a lot of difference. I left it on for about ten minutes, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.

Pedro Fandango
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:11
Mmm not a lot of difference. I left it on for about ten minutes, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.
i was exactly the same, the direction on the bottle said something about spreading it on sandwiches, whats that about lol

worked well & got the bumpers lovely & new looking, faded after less than a week but atleast the bumpers all the same shade of grey still

MissDMeanor
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:14
You must have roasted the peanut butter Fulcanelli!

I'm sorry to say that the bumpers reverted back to being faded within a few days:music-smiley-019:

They are better than they were but not good enough......I'll try something else next time:pizza:

GorgeousGeorge
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:22
jules

ok, you are now nominated to try the kiwi shoe polish and let us know how that turns out..:shocked:

was gonna try it myself but for some strange reason used it on my shoes instead.....

MissDMeanor
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:23
OK GG, I'll try that and let you know! It's not quite as exciting as using peanut butter though....

Any news on the job?

timway
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:46
:thinking:

Maybe you could try Lemon Curd - then your bumpers would be colour coordinated with Mouthy's paintwork!

:Banane11:

MissDMeanor
Jun 13th, 2006, 14:48
:thinking:

Maybe you could try Lemon Curd - then your bumpers would be colour coordinated with Mouthy's paintwork!

:Banane11:

:Banane38: Even better, what about custard tarts???:speechless-smiley-0

timway
Jun 13th, 2006, 15:05
or mashed Banana?

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: