PDA

View Full Version : Egr blanked now running fine v50

linearamp
May 17th, 2014, 21:23
hi all

( Volvo V50 2.0D 2006 no dpf 45000 miles)

i have had this ongoing problem with misfire/judder when holding the revs between 1800-2000 ,i thought the problem had gone when i changed the alternator due it the old one burning out.The misfire stopped for a while but came back.

I have done absolutely everything that's been advised on here .cleaned throttle housing ,cleaned egr,changed fuel filter and housing ,checked all pipe work for splits.Codes been read no faults.no lights on dash etc etc.

i decided to blank the egr this morning .i know its early days but at the moment the misfire has gone .only thing is i am getting a message on the dash saying a engine service is required .Annoying. i have tried a reset with the method mentioned on this forum which stops it for about 10mins then comes back.

oh i haven't removed the electric supply to the egr didn't know if i should or not , i don't suppose it would make any difference ?

what i really want to know is ,now i have blanked the egr and all is running fine apart from the annoying message ,does this mean the egr valve is at fault and should i get a new one or would i be wasting my money .

i tried in the past just taking the electric supply from the egr without blanking it and it ran like a bag of spanners undriveable to be honest..

any advice will be greatly received

Martin

nbuuifx
May 17th, 2014, 22:00
When I blanked mine off, I got an error on the dash. I asked on here and was told to unplug the grey plug from the EGR. Since doing that I've not had a single error message from it.

Mine is a 2004 2.0D (no dpf)

linearamp
May 17th, 2014, 22:03
When I blanked mine off, I got an error on the dash. I asked on here and was told to unplug the grey plug from the EGR. Since doing that I've not had a single error message from it.

Mine is a 2004 2.0D (no dpf)

ok thanks for the reply i will try doing that tomorrow.will update once i have done this

Martin

x DTR x
May 17th, 2014, 22:26
My mechanic plugged mine back in when i had my cam belt done. He didn't realise i had blanked my egr off but it took about 2 days for the light to come on! I simply unplugged it again.

linearamp
May 19th, 2014, 11:47
[QUOTE=x DTR x;1649145]My mechanic plugged mine back in when i had my cam belt done. He didn't realise i had blanked my egr off but it took about 2 days for the light to come on! I simply unplugged it again.[/QUOTU

UPDATE:

i unplugged my egr ,and not getting any errors on the dash display now.Thanks for the info...

I thought my car was running fine ,but im still getting the misfire at 1800-2000rpm .looks like i will have to bite the bullet and take it to the stealers ,as its driving me mad ...

Martin

noney82
May 19th, 2014, 14:22
Can the egr be blanked off on dpf models?

linearamp
May 19th, 2014, 14:46
Can the egr be blanked off on dpf models?

Mine hasnt got a dpf

Guru
May 20th, 2014, 13:44
i have had this ongoing problem with misfire/judder when holding the revs between 1800-2000 ...

I have done absolutely everything that's been advised on here .cleaned throttle housing ,cleaned egr,changed fuel filter and housing ,checked all pipe work for splits.Codes been read no faults.no lights on dash etc etc.

Hi,
This could be turbo related because that's the RPM range the turbo kicks in and the range during which the car's torque is at its highest ..
Did you check both TCVs "Turbo Control Valves"?
VNT "vacuum actuator" can also be faulty
.. and it also could be caused by a faulty fuel injector

linearamp
May 20th, 2014, 14:08
Hi,
This could be turbo related because that's the RPM range the turbo kicks in and the range during which the car's torque is at its highest ..
Did you check both TCVs "Turbo Control Valves"?
VNT "vacuum actuator" can also be faulty
.. and it also could be caused by a faulty fuel injector

Hi
have just had the codes read at volvo Stealers ,the only error code is P0380 relating to glow plugs...the Technician/mechanic that read the codes told me to replace all the glow plugs ,as this could relate to my ongoing problem with the misfiring.

Before i go ahead and get this done...Anyone got any advice ,would this cause the car to misfire at this rpm range .even though the car starts every day without any hesitation.

looking at the info here in link

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0380/Diagnostics/Volvo/Default.aspx

only thing i have had is the engine service soon light on

look forward to any advice

Martin

Guru
May 20th, 2014, 21:03
the only error code is P0380 relating to glow plugs...the Technician/mechanic that read the codes told me to replace all the glow plugs ,as this could relate to my ongoing problem with the misfiring.

Before i go ahead and get this done...Anyone got any advice ,would this cause the car to misfire at this rpm range .even though the car starts every day without any hesitation.

looking at the info here in link

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0380/Diagnostics/Volvo/Default.aspx

Well, code P0380 relates to the glow plug RELAY, not to the glow plugs themselves, so I personally wouldn't touch the glow plugs, but whether or not that relay is causing your problem is difficult to tell .. rather no than yes. Relay R12 in the fuse box which is located in the engine bay is similar to the glow plug relay, so swap them over to check .. R12 governs the rear screen heater matrix so nothing vital.

As for the PCM, I searched in VIDA but couldn't find such a module, or one single module with similar functions, in the 2.0D, it seemed to me as if the functions of a PCM have been broken down into independent modules, each with its own designation ..

Despite the fairly common P0380 error code, I'm still inclined towards a faulty component of the turbo assembly .. have you checked your intercooler and all the pipes going to and from it? from air filter housing all the way to the turbocharger? And once you exceed 2k RPM how's it going from there?

linearamp
May 20th, 2014, 22:15
Well, code P0380 relates to the glow plug RELAY, not to the glow plugs themselves, so I personally wouldn't touch the glow plugs, but whether or not that relay is causing your problem is difficult to tell .. rather no than yes. Relay R12 in the fuse box which is located in the engine bay is similar to the glow plug relay, so swap them over to check .. R12 governs the rear screen heater matrix so nothing vital.

As for the PCM, I searched in VIDA but couldn't find such a module, or one single module with similar functions, in the 2.0D, it seemed to me as if the functions of a PCM have been broken down into independent modules, each with its own designation ..

Despite the fairly common P0380 error code, I'm still inclined towards a faulty component of the turbo assembly .. have you checked your intercooler and all the pipes going to and from it? from air filter housing all the way to the turbocharger? And once you exceed 2k RPM how's it going from there?

Guru.first of all thank you for your input its much appreciated.

One of the things the Volvo technician said is that he would be very surprised if the relay was at fault ,as he has never changed one in 15 years at Volvo.But obviously there is always a first time.

if the glow plugs were faulty wouldn't that cause bad starting issues ? of which mine doesn't have.Starts first time every time .No black smoke from exhaust ,even when driving it and giving it some right foot no issues with black or white smoke .So i am not convinced its the glow plugs

'Regarding the pipework i have checked as much as i can see and so far i havent found any issues .. i think i'm getting obsessed with looking now as i seem to be checking every other day.To check around the turbo area is it best to check from underneath ? also the intercooler .

So going back to the glow plug relay ,where is it located on the V50 .think i read somewhere its in the front bumper ?that might be worth a quick check by swapping them over...

Ok regarding over 2k rpm the car runs like a dream. no issues what so ever .Even anything under 1800rpm no issues

.the misfire/juddering only happens when the car gets up to temperature .its very annoying ,this has been going on for the last 5months or so ...its getting to the point now that i feel like selling the car for something else,as i dont like driving it anymore ..

just to let you know im no mechanic but dont mind getting my hands dirty.

thanks again look forward to your reply

Martin

s40manbaz
May 22nd, 2014, 13:49
does anyone do anything with the plug im worried water might get in . is it worth sealing it up somehow ? what has everyone else done

linearamp
May 22nd, 2014, 20:29
does anyone do anything with the plug im worried water might get in . is it worth sealing it up somehow ? what has everyone else done

Not done anything with my plug , its just hanging loose ,not had any problems regarding the plug so far

x DTR x
May 22nd, 2014, 21:33
I put a small re-sealable bag over mine, just to keep any dirt out really!

charlos
Sep 14th, 2015, 18:43
Hi just joined the site have v50 with what I would call lumpy running especially at low speed don't have dpf so trying the blocking of egr valve has it also doesent start when engine is hot until engine cools down and on fault tool comes up egr valve problem so cleand it with throttle cleaner spray it run great for 2 days but felt lumpy again today.so read posts on here and trying it out going in to garage tomorrow for the hot starting problem.if any one has had this problem and could help .thanks had all filters changed so not a blocked fuel filter starts first time when cold.but turns over when hot but won't fire until maybe a hour later when engine has cooled .

x DTR x
Sep 14th, 2015, 21:59
If you have blanked the egr and unplugged it, it will always come up on a code reader but just ignore it as you know you have unplugged it! Hot starting problems could be warped throttle housing and sticky flap, Try giving it a good clean and don't over tighten jubilee on refit. If it is warped badly, you will need to replace it.

IainG
Sep 15th, 2015, 18:33
Hi
.Well, code P0380 relates to the glow plug RELAY, not to the glow plugs themselves, so I personally wouldn't touch the glow plugs,

Worth reading, I was always told it is a common "ghost " fault

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195192

Iain

EricMe
Oct 11th, 2015, 12:15
if the glow plugs were faulty wouldn't that cause bad starting issues ? of which mine doesn't have.Starts first time every time .No black smoke from exhaust ,even when driving it and giving it some right foot no issues with black or white smoke .So i am not convinced its the glow plugs
Of course it would ! AFAIK, glow plugs are only ever used to aid starting. Once the engine is running they'd be switched off.

alfadave11
Oct 11th, 2015, 21:45
Of course it would ! AFAIK, glow plugs are only ever used to aid starting. Once the engine is running they'd be switched off.

not entirely correct ....in low temperatures they can be activated to help combustion

alfadave11
Oct 11th, 2015, 21:48
glow plug relay error is usually the feed back from resistances of glow plugs/wiring to ecu