PDA

View Full Version : What make/model will be your next car?

janusz
Jun 8th, 2014, 00:12
I'm happy with my s40 but fancy something new! Looking around i can see a4, 3 series, laguna 3rd gen, mazda 6(but heard lots of dreadful stories about it) and finally s60. I do feel a bit attached to volvo but clearly can see excessive servicing costs. Friend of mine owns a4 and services it at one of London dealers for less than 200£. Cheap? Well, new clutch and dmf at audi costs circa 700 all in compared to circa 1300£ at volvo.
I hope volvo is going to do something about brand perception and actual servicing costs = bring it more in line with other brands, but so far it is still on the expensive side.

SonyVaio
Jun 8th, 2014, 00:33
janusz, there is no way your getting a full service from an Audi dealer for less than £200??

At Audi the most basic of services (which is nothing more than a glance over the car and an oil change) is £159. This pretty much in line with Volvo's essential service so is almost like for like.

:star-wars-smiley-01

RPB
Jun 8th, 2014, 02:25
I'm happy with my s40 but fancy something new! Looking around i can see a4, 3 series, laguna 3rd gen, mazda 6(but heard lots of dreadful stories about it) and finally s60. I do feel a bit attached to volvo but clearly can see excessive servicing costs. Friend of mine owns a4 and services it at one of London dealers for less than 200£. Cheap? Well, new clutch and dmf at audi costs circa 700 all in compared to circa 1300£ at volvo.
I hope volvo is going to do something about brand perception and actual servicing costs = bring it more in line with other brands, but so far it is still on the expensive side.

I am thinking about a v60 polestar after a bit of depreciation amongst other things.

Daim
Jun 8th, 2014, 19:49
Next is, if I ever can do so, a Jaguar XJ6 or XJ8 on LPG...

volvorocks
Jun 8th, 2014, 20:01
How could I say anything other than ''a Volvo of course''...!!!

Regards

janusz
Jun 10th, 2014, 00:09
janusz, there is no way your getting a full service from an Audi dealer for less than £200??

At Audi the most basic of services (which is nothing more than a glance over the car and an oil change) is £159. This pretty much in line with Volvo's essential service so is almost like for like.

Have a look here please:
http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html

Interim service + mot at volvo sans discount is circa 230£. I have called few dealers in London and around and found cheapest one 70 miles away from London (hence my regular trips). Check this link please to see volvo prices:
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-services/services/pages/service-price-indicator.aspx

When it comes to major service Volvo is a bit cheaper.
...but circumstances change again when you need to replace the clutch or cambelt. Last time I checked with local dealer I was told well over 1k for cambelt. Clutch if genuine parts are used hits circa 1400£. Thats way more than quattro in audi.
...other brands listed above are cheaper than audi.

I would like to see Volvo adjusting their parts policy and pricing to real world. Paying nearly 200£ for a wheel bearing even though it is made by SKF and can be found for 74£ if it's in SKF and not Volvo box is a bit of a drama really. Will that ever change?
I am pretty sure that dealers aren't happy about parts pricing either.
But then how Audi can offer new clutch for 749 if parts alone cost circa 500£?

SonyVaio
Jun 10th, 2014, 04:26
Have a look here please:
http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html

That is exactly what I'm on about.

Audi interim service which is nothing more than a quick vehicle check and an oil change. My missus has an Audi TT and Audi is the last place I'd take it to be serviced. Last year they wanted £48 to change a side light bulb (took me all of 1min plus a bulb), £115 to tighten handbrake, (took me all of 30 seconds!) and £450 to replace 2 front wishbone bushed (just bushes not the wishbones! (this took me approx. 30min plus the bushes)).

Audi are one of the worst for robbing you, yes they are worse than Volvo.

volvorocks
Jun 10th, 2014, 10:46
My missus has an Audi TT and Audi is the last place I'd take it to be serviced. Last year they wanted £48 to change a side light bulb (took me all of 1min plus a bulb), £115 to tighten handbrake, (took me all of 30 seconds!) and £450 to replace 2 front wishbone bushed (just bushes not the wishbones! (this took me approx. 30min plus the bushes)).

Renault are also high up on the list of ridiculous parts and servicing prices. £100 for wipers, and £100 for a bulb (admittedly a bit of a tricky job unless you had the hands of a 2 year old!!) when the 'old new'scenic first came out plus £400 odd for a service.

Regards

MacV50
Jun 10th, 2014, 19:20
Probably a Discovery. Have 2 kids but my girlfriend has a daughter and a dog so need something much bigger. XC90 holds no appeal

janusz
Jun 10th, 2014, 22:52
That is exactly what I'm on about.

Audi interim service which is nothing more than a quick vehicle check and an oil change. My missus has an Audi TT and Audi is the last place I'd take it to be serviced. Last year they wanted £48 to change a side light bulb (took me all of 1min plus a bulb), £115 to tighten handbrake, (took me all of 30 seconds!) and £450 to replace 2 front wishbone bushed (just bushes not the wishbones! (this took me approx. 30min plus the bushes)).

Doh! 450 for bushes? It would be cheaper to replace entire control arm!
They have odd pricing policy then -450 for bushes and 750 for clutch!