PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - ABS warning and AntiSkids switched off

Heppy1970
Jun 9th, 2014, 13:46
Please explain why this has happened, what is the likely bill going to be to fix?

ps the car was driven through large puddles on Saturday when the weather was wet.....

Orca2
Jun 9th, 2014, 14:48
Could've water ingress on wheel sensor cables check none of them have chafed on struts could be abs rings damage or full of mud likely to be a problem at a wheel rather than abs pump

S60D5-185
Jun 9th, 2014, 15:03
Could've water ingress on wheel sensor cables check none of them have chafed on struts could be abs rings damage or full of mud likely to be a problem at a wheel rather than abs pump

Totally agree.

I had a similar issue and it was a tiny crack in one of the front ABS reluctor rings.
The parts are readily available for £10 - £15 and are not bad to fit if you want to do it yourself.

An hours labour tops if a garage does it

Heppy1970
Jun 9th, 2014, 15:32
thank you for your replies. where can I find instructions to inspect the reluctor rings?

SonyVaio
Jun 9th, 2014, 20:51
Please explain why this has happened, what is the likely bill going to be to fix?

I had a similar issue and it was a tiny crack in one of the front ABS reluctor rings.
The parts are readily available for £10 - £15 and are not bad to fit if you want to do it yourself.

An hours labour tops if a garage does it

OP, can you confirm what vehicle you have?

S60D5-185, can you confirm what vehicle you changed the reluctor ring on?

:star-wars-smiley-01

Orca2
Jun 9th, 2014, 21:01
thank you for your replies. where can I find instructions to inspect the reluctor rings?

Dead easy, jack up front wheel ,remove and turn the hub out towards you, shine a strong torch in where the cv joint goes into the back of the hub ,rotate the hub slowly , you will see a hairline crack or missing teeth or crud stuck to the toothed ring. You can get them for about 3 quid from J&r driveshafts online they are easy enough to change loads of threads on here . Corrosion eventually builds up between them and the cv joint and snaps them ,often shows up after enthusiastic acceleration or a good soaking.

Heppy1970
Jun 10th, 2014, 13:12
Volvo V50 2.0D Sport :D

Heppy1970
Feb 23rd, 2015, 15:03
It was actually the whole hub that had to be replaced :(

SonyVaio
Feb 23rd, 2015, 21:27
Better late than never for an update.

I knew the reluctor rings cannot be replaced on this family of vehicles and would need a new hub, unlike on the V70 etc... This is why I asked for S60D5-185 to confirm the model he changed the reluctor rings on.

Fingers crossed you replaced it with a new redesigned part that stops water ingress and stops the bearings from failing so easily, especially given the fact it causes the whole hub to need replacing.

Anyway, your back to normal now. Happy motoring!

:star-wars-smiley-01