PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - v50 will not start, can any one help ?

Richie OMV
Jun 14th, 2014, 22:11
i have a 2008 v50 2.o D r design, it was working fine last night then today would not start, i was told that it might be the throttle body, i sprayed engine starter in to the air intake and nothing happened, i decided to bump start it which did work it ran fine although it was kicking out black smoke which it has never done, i parked it up for a few hours and went back to test it..... it wont start again can anyone help with this

nbuuifx
Jun 15th, 2014, 08:21
What happens when you try to start?

Does it turn over nice and quickly but not catch?

Does it just click when you turn the key?

Have you had any other issues recently?

Have you tried starting with your foot down on the throttle?

Any error codes stored?

What sort of mileage has the car done?

Has it had the timing belt replaced?

x DTR x
Jun 15th, 2014, 11:20
Sounds like the throttle flap is sticking? Try loosening the jubilee clip on the housing and give that a try as they can warp a bit when very hot. You may need to remove the housing and give it a clean and shave a little off the flap to prevent it sticking in future!

Richie OMV
Jun 15th, 2014, 13:24
It has done 75000 miles, full main dealer service history etc. .. when I 1st turn the key it tries to fire then just the starter motor turns over, it does this every time, no error codes , I've tried with my foot right down it just does the same thing, it's not had the timing belts changed yet

nbuuifx
Jun 15th, 2014, 14:10
This guide shows how to clean the throttle body flap:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241&highlight=throttle+body+flap

However I wouldn't expect it to make it as bad as yours is. Might be worth having a look at it to make sure it isn't completely stuck etc.

Hope it helps.

Richie OMV
Jun 15th, 2014, 16:52
Hi that worked a treat, it was filthy ! It now starts 1st time, it's still kicking out black smoke but ill give it a full service thanks for your advice (: