PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Door Handle

VenomS40
Jun 17th, 2014, 01:05
I've noticed recently that the drivers door handle has started to become more notchy and unpleasant upon opening the door be it from the outside or from inside the car?

It feels as thought its catching and requires a little extra pull to get the mechanism to release if that makes sense?

iainmd
Jun 17th, 2014, 09:35
It's possible the door is now sagging slightly. The door frame gives a little over time. 2 options:

1. Open the door and yank it up hard from the bottom a couple of times. That'll work as a temporary fix but will sag again.
2. Move the door striker plate on the door frame down a tiny bit. Again, not fixing the issue just a fudge.

These thing happen over time. It's nowhere near as bad on the Volvo as my previous golfs and Audis.

VenomS40
Jun 17th, 2014, 11:24
Cheers Iainmd, The car has done 125k so every chance that its sagged. What would the permanent fix be then?

iainmd
Jun 17th, 2014, 20:39
There isn't one sadly. The door pillar on the body just slightly deforms over time. Made worse by leaning on the door while it's open or by the door being caught by the wind and snapped open.

The sharp tug upwards from the bottom of the door is the closest you get to a permanent fix but it will sag again over time. Just part and parcel of a car getting on a bit sadly.

MacV50
Jun 17th, 2014, 21:04
Mine does that after only 2 years and 33k. Think it's more likely to be a lubrication issue.

iainmd
Jun 17th, 2014, 22:15
At 2yrs old I'm sure you're right, a bit of grease on the locking mechanism may help. When you get to 10yrs old lube can't always fix the issues ;-)