PDA

View Full Version : New to volvos and V50 Info required

Antz1983
Jun 19th, 2014, 19:05
Hey forum,

Sorry if this is the wrong place

Im currently looking at buying a 2010 (10) Volvo V50 2.0D R-Design and have found one I really like,

Its a 10 plate BUT has 80k on the clocks knowing its a diesel 80 in my opnion is not really that bad

could you give me any advice on what i should be looking out for?

what are the running costs, say a full tank of diesel, (obviously everyone will be different but on average)

Road Tax cost

many thanks in advance

Loskie
Jun 19th, 2014, 21:21
May need a new dpf at 75000, a big bill. Timing belt due at 150000 or 125000 I cannot quite remember.
Check aircon works, condensors fail. Mine is July 09 and coming up to 99000 I have owned since new. Gearbox and clutch replaced under warranty at 20k, boot struts failed again replaced under warranty.
Condensor failed but even though almost 4yr old Volvo replaced FOC.
Apart from early niggles I have now grown to like this car it took a while though, I am likely to keep it till knackered.
Personally I am not a fan of the r design, its a we bit too tarted up for me,

Loskie
Jun 19th, 2014, 21:22
May need a new dpf at 75000, a big bill. Timing belt due at 150000 or 125000 I cannot quite remember.
Check aircon works, condensors fail. Mine is July 09 and coming up to 99000 I have owned since new. Gearbox and clutch replaced under warranty at 20k, boot struts failed again replaced under warranty.
Condensor failed but even though almost 4yr old Volvo replaced FOC.
Apart from early niggles I have now grown to like this car it took a while though, I am likely to keep it till knackered.
Personally I am not a fan of the r design, its a we bit too tarted up for me, average 45mpg

Antz1983
Jun 20th, 2014, 14:30
thanks for that,

now it turns out the one i was looking at has now been sold, oh well i didnt want that one anyway lol

right then on to continue my search

deepsix
Jun 22nd, 2014, 06:31
I average about 45mpg in mine which when you consider all the options fitted isn't bad. New cars achieve great mpg by omitting as much weight as possible; spare wheel, tools etc.
The timing belt on mine is due for replacement at 144000 miles, I did it at about 100k due to paranoia and the experience of having one go (within spec) on a Renault a few years ago. Clutch changed at about 100k too when slave cylinder failed, there's no point doing one without the other. Car has been brilliant with just a few random intermittent electrical faults - none of which are significant. (parking sensor,phone, sat nav)
80k on a 10 plate means is probably a company car and most miles will be motorway, no bad thing on a diesel; low mileage and school runs are much worse.
I really like mine but it is making way for an XC60, I'll be sorry to see it go :-(

tomhosie
Jun 23rd, 2014, 10:52
Had my V50 2.0D for about 4 months now. Bought the car with a DPF issue, sorted that myself a lot less than Volvo/local Indy quoted me, now runs fine (although a bit lumpy on idle). Servicing isn't horrendous, was quoted £260 by local dealer for timing belt change when it's due (on 90k at present - but it's due at 10 years old/ 144k), so will probably change that soon for that price. Might be worth checking prices at your local Ford dealer too as they can service V50 etc. They were marginally more for the timing belt, but could be the other way round for you! All in all I love the V50. Loved it when I drove my father in laws company car a few years ago when they first came out, then bought mine when my Octavia finally died! Just buy one that has service history and best to get one that is over 75k or well well under, saves you the immediate or imminent cost of the replacement DPF service! That's my two pennys worth!

tomhosie
Jun 23rd, 2014, 10:53
Forgot to add. One downside is economy, I barely get 45mpg, going down to below 40mpg when I tow a trailer! Not sure whether I can improve this by cleaning the EGR out etc which I intend to do soon, but don't expect VAG 50mpg+ figures from the Volvo.

Antz1983
Jun 24th, 2014, 08:59
thanks for all the info, now ive started looking at the 1.6s as ive found alot more 10 plates around the 30k mark and i wont have to be traveling 300mile round trip to find em either

antz

julianps
Jun 24th, 2014, 10:52
The 1.6D mostly has a DPF that costs £1,400 every 6 years/75,000 mile service. so if you're looking at a MY2010 haggle to get some of this cost accounted for. These engines were b hilt under a JV between PSA and Ford and pop up in cars as diverse as the Mini. And everyone will tell you the same; only buy with a full device history or expect turbo problems.

By the MY2011 there are were still some 1.6Ds (16v) badged as D2 before they moved to the 8v D2-proper. The 8v D2 does not require DPF replacement but general servicing costs are slightly higher. The 8v belt is changed about 80,000 miles and 1.6D mustn't go over 100,000 (there's a technical bulletin to dealers that over-rides info available elsewhere).

We live in the mountains of Wales and get 50mpg on town+hills and closer to 70mpg on a motorway run.

I went for the base model ("S" trim) because it's bot fewer bits to go wrong and the 16" tyres are a goodly bit cheaper to replace. Overall I'm really happy with it and think "it's a keeper"

Antz1983
Jun 30th, 2014, 19:57
Well i finally bit the bullet and got me a 60 plate 1.6 V50 R-Design and wow oh wow oh wow, i love this machine,

so the mileage was a little higher than i thought i was going for but am very happy otherwise, its got full service history and i got 1k Knocked off

now to trawl the site for more info on a few modifications

mainly getting HIDs in

tomhosie
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:12
Sounds great! Hope it's as good as it sounds.