PDA

View Full Version : Tyres - Finally a brand that doesn't cost the earth!

KenC
Jun 16th, 2006, 17:09
Hi
I'm new to this forum although I have read postings in the past.

I have posted this bit of news elsewhere but hope you don't mind as this will benefit all XC90 owners!

I have had the D5 SE Model since 2003 and have gone through 2 sets of tyres having only done 24K miles. Both occasions I have replaced with Continental Premiums (235/60R18). I have recently read about Nokian tyres and looked them up.

Spoke to the Importer in the UK Tyreco. Chap called Dudley was really helpful and unbiased and advised that the Nokian NRVI were better than the WR version due to UK climate.

Bottom line was £100 per tyre fitted! That's a saving of at least £50 per tyre - £200 for 4! XC90 ownership has just got that much cheaper!

Please don't think I want to advertise this brand but I was seriously thinking of selling the Volvo due to the cost of the tyres and how little they last. With this new brand (They are very reputable in the Nordic regions) I will keep the XC90 for much much longer now. Obviously if you are happy with your brand then keep using them but at least you have more choice now.

I have had my fair share of warranty fixes but I still think it's such a versatile vehicle.

Hope this helps everyone.

Ken

arbee
Jun 16th, 2006, 20:17
i always go for a branded tyre, not only for the 'usual' benefit in peformance, but also, when i look at a new car, if i see someone has 'skimmped' on tyres, it makes me wonder what else they have done on the cheap - maybe unfair my just opinion lol

JsR
Jun 17th, 2006, 23:26
If you're in need of low-priced tyres you might look at 'pneus-online.co.uk'. It looks as if they're a French administered company that sell in the UK. If you don't need a high-speed tyre have a look at the 235/60/18, ALL speeds. It comes back with a selection of makes with KUMHO tyres at £57 each delivered. Just got to get them fitted - they have a list of fitting stations but most places will fit for around £15 incl.

Additionally, the KUMHO website looks as if they do quality stuff but does anyone have knowledge of/experience with their tyres?

Not a recommendation, this just came up when I was looking for tyres myself - and not very impressed with £180 each for Contis.

Also, where I live (south Wales), Harris Brothers do Nokians for £78 each fitted. Don't know exactly which tyre but that's what I was quoted in the last few days.

Hope this helps

John R

VinceLDN
Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:52
Hi all,

Bit late reply but here are my views on the previous threads:

a. Khumo are as bad as bad can be. I had some fitted earlier this year on my 530d. They are ok on dry but turn out to be dangerous on wet! I know my 5 serie pretty well, had it for 5 year, over 100k miles with it.
First day I used the Kuhmo on wet, I almost went off the road!!
So avoid at all cost.

b. Nokian. Even though they are cheap, this is a different league. Nokians are great tyres. Nokian is an off shoot of ... Nokia. Back in the 80s, Nokia was a very large conglomerate producing wood, pulp, home elctronics and...rubber, hence the affiliation with tyres. In the 90s Nokia refocussed its business on telecommunications and the tyres division became Nokian.

You can imagine that Finns are very choosy when it comes to they tyres, specially winter tyres. If you check winter tyre ratings, typically, Nokian comes first in most tests. Note that winter tyres does not mean SNOW tyres, it is a tyre made to handle at temps under 10C and therefore are better in cold climates regions.

Now they are cheap because they are a small company trying to break in market and therefore need to market aggressively!

Unfortunatelly, they are not easy to source!

VinceLDN
Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:14
oops

forgot to mention that SE Tyres in Sidcup sells Nokain NRVi for £80 fitted.

imac
Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:16
Nokian are a very well respected tyre manufacturer. I almost bought a set of WR's for my winter tyres last year, but a sudden price hike the day before I went to order them ended up with me ordering Continental Wintercontact too.

www.mytyres.co.uk stock Nokians, too.

SIAMBLUE
Sep 22nd, 2006, 14:13
Hi all,

Bit late reply but here are my views on the previous threads:

a. Khumo are as bad as bad can be. I had some fitted earlier this year on my 530d. They are ok on dry but turn out to be dangerous on wet! I know my 5 serie pretty well, had it for 5 year, over 100k miles with it.
First day I used the Kuhmo on wet, I almost went off the road!!
So avoid at all cost.

Hi what model of tyre was it? as i am looking at buying the Kuhmo Ecsta KU31,
You do realise that you have to bed tyres in and not go hair raising around on them when newly fitted?

tem
Sep 22nd, 2006, 16:19
The Nokian WR Tyres can be found on www.mytyres.co.uk They also have web sites throughout Europe.

Try www.mytyres.com and select your country.

A couple of days ago the Nokian WR Sport Utility 235/60 R18 107V XL cost £102.00 each including vat and delivery. These tyres start off with a tread depth of 11mm.

tem.

tem
Sep 22nd, 2006, 16:23
My mistake - www.mytyres.com does not work.

Stick with www.mytyres.co.uk and then select your country.

tem.

Viking V40
Sep 26th, 2006, 23:50
Would be really interested if any of the XC90 owners were able to have a look at my post in the lounge regarding tyre wear and reply with your findings.

Have noticed a few XC90 owners commenting about tyre wear.

Thanks in advance. :)

yeoman
Nov 6th, 2006, 20:40
I noted the many comments about various tyre brands before replacing my 05 XC90 tyres last week.
I decided on the NOKIAN(NRV1).It cost me 300 quid for all four tyres fully fitted.(Yes,that is 75 quid each!!)
I have done 600miles on them,and I must say I am very impressed.The are at least as quiet as the Continentals I replaced.It is quite remarkable how similar to the continentals the thread patterns are!

If anyone has had these Nokian tyres for awhile now,I would like to know what their experiences are.

Gurj
Nov 6th, 2006, 23:29
Yeoman, that sounds like a good price, where did you get them from and did you have to arrange local fitting ?

Thanks,

Gurj

yeoman
Nov 7th, 2006, 14:10
Yeoman, that sounds like a good price, where did you get them from and did you have to arrange local fitting ?

Thanks,

Gurj

Gurj,
The company is known as MALVERN Tyres Ltd. They have many branches around the west midlands.I got my tyres from my local stafford branch.Their head office no is 01905778688.
I was initially quoted 342 quid for the tyres but with some haggling, got it down to £300.00

Cheers

GSMGuy
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:44
Can anyone tell me, do the Nokian NRV1's in 18" have the "protector" ridge for the wheel rim that the Conti's have, to prevent accidental scuffing - ie when SWMBO is driving?

Mike

4 forty
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:10
read this posting on nokia tyre mileage.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43879

paul

tem
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:32
Can anyone tell me, do the Nokian NRV1's in 18" have the "protector" ridge for the wheel rim that the Conti's have, to prevent accidental scuffing - ie when SWMBO is driving?

Mike

Please go to the link below.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/suv_product_en?product=624337&name=NOKIAN+NRVi+SUV#

You will find the answer, is yes to your question.

tem.

Genghis
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:13
Hi ALl

Noticed there were a few comments about Kumho tyres

I've had a set now for 7,000 miles they are 255 60 R18 and are called Radial 798 plus - on the Nokian thread you can see some comments there.

Basically they are absolutely fine - quiet, handle just as well as my previous set (Michelins which came with the car) and they cost £50 each fully fitted VAT Etc.,

Not sure why people get so exicted about this - we are driving somewhat large XC90's - they are not built to handle like sports cars - you will hit the limit of what the car can do before hitting the limits of the tyres!! - it was basically this thought and also the fact that XC90 tyres seem to last around 20,000 (feedback from this forum) that lead me into just getting the Kumho's (plus advise from the garages).

I can guarentee you they are fine in the wet. I just returned from the Spa GP and had to bomb it to Dover (bit late waking up and packing the tent) it threw it down all the way and the car was fantastic (also was fully loaded with 6 big lads in it!)

Overall I've very happy with the tyres and would get the same again

Just as a postnote - I know some members are in Scotland etc., where the requirements are somewhat different for a more robust tyre!!!

tem
Sep 27th, 2007, 16:40
Hi ALl

Noticed there were a few comments about Kumho tyres

I've had a set now for 7,000 miles they are 255 60 R18 and are called Radial 798 plus - on the Nokian thread you can see some comments there.

Basically they are absolutely fine - quiet, handle just as well as my previous set (Michelins which came with the car) and they cost £50 each fully fitted VAT Etc.,

Not sure why people get so exicted about this - we are driving somewhat large XC90's - they are not built to handle like sports cars - you will hit the limit of what the car can do before hitting the limits of the tyres!! - it was basically this thought and also the fact that XC90 tyres seem to last around 20,000 (feedback from this forum) that lead me into just getting the Kumho's (plus advise from the garages).

I can guarentee you they are fine in the wet. I just returned from the Spa GP and had to bomb it to Dover (bit late waking up and packing the tent) it threw it down all the way and the car was fantastic (also was fully loaded with 6 big lads in it!)

Overall I've very happy with the tyres and would get the same again

Just as a postnote - I know some members are in Scotland etc., where the requirements are somewhat different for a more robust tyre!!!

Please keep us update throughout their life.

How much tread do you have at the moment.

Thanks.

tem.

RoyMacDonald
Sep 27th, 2007, 23:03
On the subject of tyres I have 18" XC90 4 tyres for sale.

2 Goodyear Eagle F1's with 8mm of tread on each, and 2 Continental ContiCrossContact with 5mm on each. All good and no repairs.

I'm planing to put them on ebay at some point but I'm open to offers if anyone's interested. I'm near Crystal Palace in London by the way.

P.S. I've just realised the top tyre is upside down from the Eagles point of view and as they are directional tyres it makes them look a bit odd.

GSMGuy
Sep 27th, 2007, 23:41
God, those Eagles have a strange looking pattern on them!

I take it they are 235/60 18's Roy?

Mike

RoyMacDonald
Sep 27th, 2007, 23:45
God, those Eagles have a strange looking pattern on them!

I take it they are 235/60 18's Roy?

Mike

Yes Mike. I think that's the only size Volvo do in the UK. I read somewhere the Eagles are very good in the rain. Actually they are directional and the photo is showing them upside down so I think that's why they look odd to you.

Genghis
Jul 13th, 2009, 12:09
Please keep us update throughout their life.

How much tread do you have at the moment.

Thanks.

tem.

All

Just a quick update.

My tyres (Kumho) have now done 32,000 miles and on the front's I have 3 mm and on the rears I have 4mm (I normally swop them once per year).

All this for £200 fully fitted for 4. I hope they haven't gone up too much when I replace them

Jamie