PDA

View Full Version : V50 Brakes : - Rear brake/handbrake question

mpt
Jul 2nd, 2014, 16:32
Was doing a service today on the V50 and the handbrake strength on the passenger side rear is pretty poor, with a bit of effort you can turn the wheel, driver's side is fine.

Tried adjusting but didn't want to cause problems on the other side. I followed the Haynes manual for setting it up then took the thing apart; pads out wound back the piston and cleaned everything I could see but no difference.

Is this likely to be a caliper issue or possibly disc (this has a very small lip around the outside but the other side is the same)?

Thanks in advance

s40manbaz
Jul 2nd, 2014, 16:57
rear calipers can be a problem on these fairly common . sometimes cables but there very rare

mpt
Jul 2nd, 2014, 18:41
Thanks, was leaning towards that.

Clan
Jul 2nd, 2014, 20:02
Was doing a service today on the V50 and the handbrake strength on the passenger side rear is pretty poor, with a bit of effort you can turn the wheel, driver's side is fine.

Tried adjusting but didn't want to cause problems on the other side. I followed the Haynes manual for setting it up then took the thing apart; pads out wound back the piston and cleaned everything I could see but no difference.

Is this likely to be a caliper issue or possibly disc (this has a very small lip around the outside but the other side is the same)?

Thanks in advance

How did you adjust it ? slacken the cable at the lever , make sure both caliper levers are on their stop pins , pump the brake pedal , Then adjust the handbrake lever cable to give about 2 or 3 clicks .

Do you know the correct way to apply the parking brake?
Press the footbrake to get the clamping force then whilst still pressing , pull up the lever to hold that point .. Not pressing the brake pedal and just pulling the lever up will result in less clamping force than you intend !

msh
Jul 2nd, 2014, 20:05
Hi
Are the guide pins freely moving. I had a build up of rust on the caliper under the rubber guides making the pins hard to move.
I removed the rubber guides and wire brushed the hole out.
you can get new guides and pins on ebay
Mark

mpt
Jul 2nd, 2014, 22:10
How did you adjust it ? slacken the cable at the lever , make sure both caliper levers are on their stop pins , pump the brake pedal , Then adjust the handbrake lever cable to give about 2 or 3 clicks .

Do you know the correct way to apply the parking brake?
Press the footbrake to get the clamping force then whilst still pressing , pull up the lever to hold that point .. Not pressing the brake pedal and just pulling the lever up will result in less clamping force than you intend !

Clan, thanks for the reply, that is what I did to adjust it, like I said driver's side was fine just the passenger was dodgy.

We have been applying the parking brake that way, but when it comes to an MOT will the tester realise that is the correct way (this was picked up last year as an advisory)

Hi
Are the guide pins freely moving. I had a build up of rust on the caliper under the rubber guides making the pins hard to move.
I removed the rubber guides and wire brushed the hole out.
you can get new guides and pins on ebay
Mark

Newbie question but what are the guide pins? Are they the ones you undo with the 8mm Hex?

msh
Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:22
Hi
the guide pins are the to bolts that hold the caliper to it's carrier. it's normal practice to clean and grease these when you change the pads. My problem was these bolt go through a rubber part on the caliper. and I had a build up of rust between the rubber and the caliper
Mark

VenomS40
Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:13
As Clan has said, there is a correct way of applying the handbreak once you've sorted the issue out. If you press the handbreak button and pull up and hold the handbreak there and then press the footbreak you will feel the leaver raise up a little as you will always apply more force using the footbreak.

As someone has said, the rear breaks a prone for issues on these. I had one binding on one side but turned out just cleaning the pins sorted that out.

mpt
Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:26
Thanks all for the advice, I'm intending on having another look today and if that doesn't work I'll book it in somewhere