PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine Turbo : - Intermittent oil warning light and noisy "tappet"

alexstanleyv50
Jul 3rd, 2014, 15:39
Ok so this is an interesting one.....

Let me start with the noisy tappet: bang on 2000 rpm up to around 3000 to 3500 I can hear a noisy tappet. Now I can live with it and stop it getting worse but this is what is bugging me:

When slowing down and engine idles I get the oil warning light (no message on the DIM). Tapping the throttle sorts it out and the light goes out. The oil level is spot on.

I believe that the noisy tappet and the oil light are connected. I doubt it is the pump (never heard of one failing) and my indi has checked the oil pressure on an electronic and a mechanical pressure gauge and all is well.

Now before I think about drastic measures can anyone tell me if they have had similar issues and what they did about it. I want to try an oil and filter change - what grade oil should I use?

As I say I'm at a point of scratching my head as to what to do next and want to try some cheap and easy options first as there's no chance of taking it in for sump seals/"O" rings/oil pump replacements for the foreseeable future.

Just to point out I do not get the light on when accelerating - even when it's in full on nutter turbo mode.

Ta!

Alex

alexstanleyv50
Jul 8th, 2014, 16:12
Bump...

alexstanleyv50
Aug 11th, 2014, 10:40
LINKY (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1713129#post1713129) and fixed...