PDA

View Full Version : Without a Volvo......

Dan F
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:19
Hi all.
As of this Saturday I will be without a Volvo for the first time in 16years!
It was not an easy decision, but I do not regret it.
We very rarely use both our cars at the same time and even though we are having no problems with running the cars, we have run 2 cars forever, we have both just got to the stage where we have decided that paying for basically having one car sat on a drive all day is an utter waste of money.
So, before the government force us all to go down to one car or no cars, we decided to do it now of our own volition and save a stack of money into the bargain.
Now, I hope to still frequent this forum even though I will technically be a 'foreigner' from Saturday onwards, but I hope I will still be welcome.
I have no doubt in my mind that as soon as I need a big family car in the future, the first brand I will be turning to will be Volvo, so I will be back.
Hopefully I will still be able to help out with many queries. :)
Best Regards,
Dan.

burchi
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:31
Hi Dan

I don't know whether to congratulate you on the sale of your car or comiserate with you on the loss of it!!!!

Anyhow, I hope the new owner of your car will look after it as well as you have and maybe frequent here too!

It would be a shame if you were to disappear from here. You have provided some very welcome advice to many people so, hope you stick around!

So, what's the replacement car for your 2 going to be? Made any decisions yet? It's gonna have go some to improve over your C70!

All the best

Dan F
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:47
Hi Ian.
Thanks for the sentiment chap. :)
I will stick around I am sure, as several years of posting and 16years of Volvos is a hard habit to kick. ;) I have plenty of experience of Volvos and will still (hopefully) be able to help people out.
We have decided that as we do not have Kids at the moment we are going to go down to a 2 seater sports car.
Now, my wife has an SLK 200K at the mo and we really like this, but unfortunately it lacks the performance of my C70.
So I kept my eyes peeled and have found an ideal car for the both of us that encompasses what we both want at this point in our lives.
It is an SLK32 AMG.
It is well cool and utterly, utterly, bonkers!! (try to imagine being strapped to a big catapult and then being released and it gives you an idea of the acceleration of it. Having full boost at 0rpm upwards is quite something! ;)
It has every creature comfort, and it makes my (modded) C70 seem slow (honestly!!!)
If we ever need a family car at any point, this will turn into the weekend plaything and a V70R will no doubt be purchased, in the mean time we are not regretting just having the 2 seats at all! The money saved from a second car is already going into the holiday pot as we speak. ;)
Cheers,
Dan.

timway
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:04
0-160kmh (100mph) in 11 seconds!!! :omg_smile:

I'm very jealous....

Das einszweidrei Auto-Quartett

Mercedes SLK 32 AMG - 2001 (Serie)

Motorart V 6
Hubraum 3199 ccm
Aufladung Kompressor
PS - UMin 354 PS - 6100/Min
Nm - UMin 450 Nm - 4400/Min
Motorlage/Antrieb Frontmotor/Heck
Gänge/Schaltung 5/Automatik
Test in sport auto 10/2001
Gewicht 1480 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,6 s
0 - 100 km/h 5,0 s
0 - 120 km/h 6,7 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h 11,0 s
0 - 180 km/h 14,0 s
0 - 200 km/h 17,6 s
400 m, stehender Start - s
1 km, stehender Start - s
Vmax 250 km/h
100 - 0 km/h (kalt) 37,8 m
100 - 0 km/h (warm) 38,2 m
Nordschleife - min
Hockenheim, kleiner Kurs 1.18,5 min
Querbeschleunigung 1,0 g
Slalom 18 m 64,2 km/h
Slalom 36 m - km/h
ISO Ausweichtest - km/h
Testverbrauch 15,0 L/SP
Grundpreis 111.169 DM

Dan F
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:22
0-160kmh (100mph) in 11 seconds!!! :omg_smile:

It does indeed get to 100MPH very fast, so fast in fact it was a genuine surprise to look at the speedo and see what it was registering!!
Also from my experience of SLK speedos they are almost 100% correct.

It is a lovely, lovely car and very rare. The engines are apparently handbuilt by an individual master tech who sign a plaque on the engine when they finish. How very very cool is that? :)

Apparently they are very easy to get to 420BHP, so that may be in the pipeline, however, maybe just a brabus stainless sports exhaust to start with... ;)

Cheers chap,
Dan.