PDA

View Full Version : Buying a V50 S

qwertyuiopseb
Jul 5th, 2014, 10:25
Hi, my dad wants to buy a car (we sold our tiny 98 corolla) there's this pretty nice v50 here online: http://www.tassiecars.com.au/detail.jsp?id=63503&pic=0&ti=true

I know pretty much nothing about these cars and I'd like to know what to look out for, if there are any major problems, servicing costs / fuel economy and anything else to know...

Thank you!!

p.s I'm 6'5" and I want to be able to sit in the back

Falmouthboy
Jul 10th, 2014, 15:06
The car you are looking at appears to be an SE, not S. Clearly designation may be different in Australia though.

The main things to look at are electrical - be sure everything works as it should. Be certain that the air con blows nice and cold from all vents by setting to low, then put to hi to see all vents blow hot.

Lock the car and wait 30 secs. An audible clunk should be heard. A screech suggest a failing deadlock. Fixable but needs to be reflected in the price.

Check the service history is up to date then call your local dealer and ask for a quote for the next service - some services are steep.

Rear legroom isn't great, so make sure you are happy with it.

qwertyuiopseb
Jul 11th, 2014, 10:39
Thanks for your help, I'm glad someone finally responded! :)

Missing Lincs
Jul 11th, 2014, 15:22
As with all moderns cars, check with a dealer that all software updates and modifications have been carried out. The Volvo database holds all the information.