PDA

View Full Version : Do V50 worn wheel bearings squeak?

pdig
Jul 6th, 2014, 15:47
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

A squeaking has started now and again from nearside front wheel. Worn hub bearings on "old fashioned" cars used to squeak once upon a time when becoming worn.

I do not have the equipment to press a bearing out and in so I called a mobile mechanic. He states? that the V50 wheel hub bearings are sealed units and do not squeak but clank. He then, with a long screw driver through the wheel, pushed back the hub assembly backing plate saying there was probably dirt scraping against the brake disk.

Next morning warning display, "skid service required".

Haynes manual describes bearing units as containing part of the ABS system, sensors.

So now there are two scenarios so far, the hub bearing is squeaking because it is worn and now the wear has affected the ABS sensor in the hub assembly. Or the mobile mechanic, by pushing back the backing plate, has upset part of the ABS system.

Any views?

Thank you again for reading.

janusz
Jul 6th, 2014, 20:43
Looks like bearing as it holds magnetic sensor for abs and stability control.
Best to replace it asap. Do not got for cheapest bearing but also do not buy volvo branded. Search here on forums for wheel bearings. Some time ago I have run own investgation to find out who makes bearings for volvo: skf and fag. Dont remember now who makes fron or rear but oem bearings can be found for 70-80£ while volvo branded cost circa 200£.

SonyVaio
Jul 7th, 2014, 00:07
FAG = Front
SKF = Rear

:star-wars-smiley-01

janusz
Jul 7th, 2014, 00:18
FAG = Front
SKF = Rear

Ah yes:) thank you:)

pdig
Jul 9th, 2014, 19:17
Hello.

Thank you for the replies.

The anti-skid service warning has reappeared.

Is there a source of information about which systems may be switched off automatically at the moment due to this warning?

Am assuming that any fault meaning the car cannot be driven would put it into safe mode.

Best wishes.

SonyVaio
Jul 9th, 2014, 22:52
When you have the Anti Skid message then both the DSTC and ABS will not be functional. Doesn't mean the car won't work as normal, the brakes will be perfectly fine just no ABS.

You need you codes read really to point in the right direction as the Anti Skid message can be caused by so many things.

If you take off the centre cap to your front wheels and check the centre hub bolts are not loose as this is quick easy and free. Beyond that you need codes to determine if it is something like a steering wheel angle sensor, abs wheel sensor, yaw rate sensor or something even more costly like the ABS unit itself.

Unfortunately you really need the codes to point in the right direction but you could ask if there are any members near you with VIDA/DICE that can read your car for you. I'm in Fareham (Hampshire) these days for work but that would be a bit of a drive for you (willing all the same).

pdig
Jul 14th, 2014, 10:48
Thank you for your replies.

Thank you SonyVaio for your kind suggestion.

On Thursday when on forecourt as engine was switched off as about to refuel, further info message appeared "Brake Failure Stop Safely".

Vehicle was recovered to Group service centre.

Service centre report (and service carried out) about VIDA messages, no permanent VIDA code for the "anti-skid service required" message, but pending "Brake Failure Stop Safely" VIDA code. Software update carried out at £151.62 including VAT and system functioning as normal. Advice that if message occurs then new brake control module may be required at £1,248.84 including VAT.

Journey of 160 miles since then and vehicle performance normal.

Thank you for reading, for the replies and for the ideas.

Thistrucker
Jan 21st, 2018, 20:49
[QUOTE=SonyVaio;1688480]When you have the Anti Skid message then both the DSTC and ABS will not be functional. Doesn't mean the car won't work as normal, the brakes will be perfectly fine just no ABS.

You need you codes read really to point in the right direction as the Anti Skid message can be caused by so many things.

If you take off the centre cap to your front wheels and check the centre hub bolts are not loose as this is quick easy and free. Beyond that you need codes to determine if it is something like a steering wheel angle sensor, abs wheel sensor, yaw rate sensor or something even more costly like the ABS unit itself.

Unfortunately you really need the codes to point in the right direction but you could ask if there are any members near you with VIDA/DICE that can read your car for you. I'm in Fareham (Hampshire) these days for work but that would be a bit of a drive for you (willing all the same).

I had the abs light on and when an idiot white van man pulled straight from slip road into lane 2, I had to brake from 60mph and it worked just fine!

Alan C30
Jan 22nd, 2018, 12:59
sounds possible similar fault to what I had, the ABS ring had failed, it is NOT a gear on newer units, it is PART of the bearing :(

see link here

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276496

upv5
Jan 22nd, 2018, 14:39
Wheel bearings normally rumble rather than squeak and on the front the noise increases or decreases as you corner as the load increases or decreases. Squeaking is often a stone or other foreign object getting stuck between disc and dust shield which is why your mechanic pushed the dust shield away from the disc.
However the ABS is triggered by magnets built into the bearing and metallic particles can be attracted to the magnets and upset the ABS which triggers the "Anti skid warning". First step is to clean the magnets and Volvo recommend pushing an air line into the small gaps and giving the area a good blow out ideally as the wheel is turned.
The best thing about this is it's free if you have access to an air line.

John