PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - Potential issue with lower engine mount?

fchown
Jul 7th, 2014, 12:08
Morning folks,

Hello to all, this is my first post, looking for some advice from those in the know. Apologies in advance for the long post! I purchased a 2009 v50 R-Design SE 2.0d in November 2013 and overall have been very happy with it, 56K on the clock now. I'm getting a consistent 53 / 54 MPG (calculated by the tank) on motor way runs using BP diesel which is acceptable.

Lately however I believe there may be a slight issue developing, bear with me while I attempt to explain;

About 2 months ago I fired up the car first thing and noticed that there was a slight vibration coming from the clutch when fully depressed to the floor, this wasn't there before. (I always depress the clutch when turning over the engine.. habit). Aside from that, everything else was ok; the clutch isn't slipping, no judder or vibration @ biting point.

However in the last month or so I've noticed a few other things...

1. There seems to be a bit more turbo lag - this was first apparent when using cruise control and also now with the accelerator pedal, I'm sure that it's lagging more than it did when I first had the car.

2. When changing gear, there seems to be a mechanical clunking sound when I bring the clutch up / gears engage. Again, it doesn't feel like there is any issue with the clutch, shifts are fine and engage OK but things just feel a bit 'loose' if that makes any sense.

From what I've been reading on this forum and others, these 3 things could be a symptom of a faulty or worn lower engine mount or thrust bearing?

I did take the car to my local dealer in Ayr however they said there is no issue; clutch, DMF, engine mount, suspension all checked and car driven by a senior and master tech, said they couldn't feel any vibration and said all was ok. I took their word for it at the time but refuse to agree with them - I drive on average 500 miles a week and notice changes with the car, there is definitely something not right.

I appreciate that the vibration and other symptoms would have to be quite bad for them to do anything about it (car under warranty until end of October). To be honest their customer service so far has been poor !

I'm really not bothered about dealer stamps and and not prepared to pay through the nose for servicing and parts so the car is booked in for a full service, air con recharge and wheel alignment if required at my friends trustworthy and reputable garage (http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.com/) start of August. Needless to say, he's charging a far more reasonable price than I suspect Volvo will.

I've read that the lower engine mount can be replaced with an uprated one, pumaspeed or e-focus to fix and improve shifts and tighten things up etc? Obviously I want cabin noise / vibration to remain minimal if possible.

Once all is well again I plan to get a Shark Performance ECU remap... but not until this is fixed!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Fraser

kerrgreg
Jul 8th, 2014, 11:58
Hi welcome along,

I cant help with your questions but I am interested to know about the mount too.

Ive been looking into them but have only read about people fitting them to the auto cars, but the mount looks the same..

fchown
Jul 8th, 2014, 13:28
Hi Kerrgreg,

I've been reading about the engine mounts on the following thread amongst others :

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=141089&highlight=CM5Z-6068-A

It would appear that the mount fits most models. Going to purchase the following mount ;

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.jsp?productID=15758&manufacturerID=1&makeID=115&modID=403

I'll report back once fitted. With any luck it'll resolve these irritating issues I currently have.

Cheers

fchown
Jul 13th, 2014, 18:14
Hello,

Thought I'd provide an update as I replaced the lower engine mount this morning;

1. The slight vibration when the clutch pedal is fully depressed to the floor is still present although slightly less than before, I'll live with this as the clutch is operating as expected.

2. A noticeable positive improvement in gear shifts; I no longer have the mechanical clunking sound when changing gears with engine under load (was more noticeable on upshift). The clutch engagement feels more precise too.

3. The throttle response is definitely more crisp and power seems to be delivering to the wheels slightly quicker without the excess engine movement.

4. There is slightly more vibration in the cabin - steering wheel is vibrating when car is idling but this is minimal. I'll take a slightly more solid feel to the transmission and power and live with a tiny extra bit of vibration, it's by no means intrusive.

I'd def recommend this as a relatively cheap upgrade (£80.89 inc delivery) for anyone experiencing similar symptoms to those I detailed above.

Now for the full service and Shark remap....

Cheers.