PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Wheels/Tyres : - Full wheel alignment

DannyG
Jul 14th, 2014, 13:54
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a really good wheel alignment place in the Manchester area? Looking for ones that have good rep (from personal experience) and are good at diagnosing niggly issues with steering, uneven tyre wear etc?!

Any info appreciated!

Danny

msh
Jul 14th, 2014, 14:58
Hi Danny

Cant help with wheel alignment but what's the problem we might be able to help
Maqrk

DannyG
Jul 14th, 2014, 16:26
I've posted about this issue previously... but basically I'm getting uneven tyre wear on the near side front and back, the inside edge of the tyre wears more than the outer. It also pulls to the left, has alot of wandering on the front end, so I'm making small corrections to the steering alot.

The front tracking has been checked but only at a local tyre place, they also checked for movement in the bushes, drop links etc and couldn't find anything glaringly obvious, so thought i'd get a full, professional, 4 wheel alignment done.

cheshired5
Jul 14th, 2014, 17:21
Parked up with your steering wheel 100% dead straight, can you see any toe in or out misalignment when viewing the car from the front?
Anything that causes a pull can often be spotted with the naked eye.
Inside tyre wear can suggest the camber hasn't been set right after a shock/strut change or even straddling those square speed humps.
Does the bottom of the tyre stick out more than the top?
It's easy to tell with a piece of string with a weight on the end.

jeffmasson
Jul 14th, 2014, 20:37
I've posted about this issue previously... but basically I'm getting uneven tyre wear on the near side front and back, the inside edge of the tyre wears more than the outer. It also pulls to the left, has alot of wandering on the front end, so I'm making small corrections to the steering alot.

The front tracking has been checked but only at a local tyre place, they also checked for movement in the bushes, drop links etc and couldn't find anything glaringly obvious, so thought i'd get a full, professional, 4 wheel alignment done.

Mine has wear on both rear tyres on the inside edges I read on a few forum post that it's due to the large tolerance for camber allowed by the factory and it can't be adjusted without aftermarket parts. As for pulling to the left dose it still pull to the left if you drive on the wrong side of the road? As all roads have a curve to make rain water run to the sides so all cars will pull to the left but the v50 dose seem to show this more than other cars I have driven not sure why.

DannyG
Jul 15th, 2014, 09:32
Parked up with your steering wheel 100% dead straight, can you see any toe in or out misalignment when viewing the car from the front?
Anything that causes a pull can often be spotted with the naked eye.
Inside tyre wear can suggest the camber hasn't been set right after a shock/strut change or even straddling those square speed humps.
Does the bottom of the tyre stick out more than the top?
It's easy to tell with a piece of string with a weight on the end.

I haven't checked for that yet, good suggestion though and I'll give it a try when the missus comes home!

DannyG
Jul 15th, 2014, 09:38
Mine has wear on both rear tyres on the inside edges I read on a few forum post that it's due to the large tolerance for camber allowed by the factory and it can't be adjusted without aftermarket parts. As for pulling to the left dose it still pull to the left if you drive on the wrong side of the road? As all roads have a curve to make rain water run to the sides so all cars will pull to the left but the v50 dose seem to show this more than other cars I have driven not sure why.

I notice that when I do get to a part of the road with the natural camber, the steering wheel pulls drastically to the left, I notice this say when coming to a roundabout on a normal road, in the left hand lane.

If I'm on the motorway, in the middle lane, then it still pulls to the left.

I've had 2 tyres fitted to the front recently to pass it's MOT and due to spending over £600 on a new clutch and fly wheel a couple of week ago, I've had to put some temporary good part worns on, and this seems to have stopped the pulling to the left.

Only thing I can think is they're both different makes on the front, whereas I've always had ContiSports on the front previously, ie 2 of the same.

theRsole
Jul 15th, 2014, 10:15
I've just had bushes/wishbones/shock absorbers replaced and it's pulling to the left - I'm getting four wheel alignment done today, will report back once it's done...

Welton
Jul 15th, 2014, 11:33
I can only recommend you find a place with a Hunters alignment machine, it uses cameras and the operator can set the suspension accurately.

These cars are *very* sensitive to wheel alignment and once corrected they are a joy to drive on the motorways.

Expect to pay £50.00 for a hunters 4-wheel service.

More reading: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144655

theRsole
Jul 16th, 2014, 11:21
I've just had bushes/wishbones/shock absorbers replaced and it's pulling to the left - I'm getting four wheel alignment done today, will report back once it's done...

annoyingly didn't happen as I discovered something slightly bent under there so need to get that replaced first! but booked in again for next week!

DannyG
Jul 16th, 2014, 15:55
Thanks Welton, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm on the hunt now for a place that does that near me (no pun intended!!).

theRsole,

Thanks for the update... I'll be posting my findings also, as and when I get it into the alignment place. Hopefully yours doesn't turn out to be too bad an issue with your bent bit :S

janusz
Jul 16th, 2014, 21:14
Go to wheels in motion and find a garage in your area listed on their website.

theRsole
Jul 29th, 2014, 23:23
So, eventually got this done- immediate difference in the feel of the car, my rear offside was well out, will post the printout if I can get the scanner goiing...
Well worth the investment, steering wheel is straight and the car doesn't pull on a straight anymore - and my squealing rear wheel has stopped too!

janusz
Jul 30th, 2014, 08:28
Looks like you had serious geometry issues!!

theRsole
Jul 30th, 2014, 09:20
Looks like you had serious geometry issues!!

yeah, the problem was that I had a few issues all at the same time so neglected the alignment trying to sort those...

DannyG
Jul 31st, 2014, 23:36
I think this could very well be the root of my problems.... unfortunately after the clutch and DMF repair (and 2 new tyres!), I've gotta wait till next month :S

Fingers crossed!!