PDA

View Full Version : C30 General : - Noob needs advice

Gingernutz
Jul 17th, 2014, 13:58
Hi All

My first post and hopefully not the last.

I’m a total Volvo Noob and seriously considering getting a C30.

I’m looking for something in the £0 -£30 tax bracket with as low mileage (pref <60k), running costs and fuel consumption as possible. I’ve focussed mainly on the 1.6 diesel variants 2008 and later (to get the low tax bracket). Not looking for super performance or bling so whilst the R Designs are nice it’s not a must have. An SE variant would probably be the preferred option but again not sure what the big advantage over the S variant would be.

I’ve searched Autotrader, Motors UK etc. and nothing really fits the bill or takes my fancy unless it’s in the about 250 miles away. Not really centrally located geographically as I’m in Dorset which doesn’t help. My budget is £7 – £8K max and any advice I could get from you experts would be very gratefully received.

feltorange
Jul 17th, 2014, 21:00
My partner purchased a very low mileage SELux 18 months ago. 1.6 diesel stop start. Very good car if one isn't bothered about scorching from lights. Watch out for duff air conditioning! Both hers and my V50 have had to be replaced.

alexstanleyv50
Jul 30th, 2014, 16:19
+1 on the aircon. Mines gone and with a black leather interior in this weather its almost unbearable!

SE models tend to have a few extra goodies such as leather interior, cruise control, premium sound system, 6CD auto changer (check that the auto changer works as the motor can get giggered if the battery isn't replaced properly(?) and will cost IIRC £700 from dealer).

S models generally don't have the above.....

If running costs are a concern I personally would really consider another marque. It all depends on the distances you plan on travelling. Have a little read of this thread (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=209996).

Andru
Jul 31st, 2014, 17:40
My partner purchased a very low mileage SELux 18 months ago. 1.6 diesel stop start. Very good car if one isn't bothered about scorching from lights. Watch out for duff air conditioning! Both hers and my V50 have had to be replaced.

When you say the the air con is duff,what actually goes wrong with it?

paddyred
Jul 31st, 2014, 22:13
Usually (and mine had it) the condenser goes, it corrodes and leaks. I got a replacement part from ebay for around £70 and fit it myself (My system had no gas) so for the part and fitting your looking at £100 total if you fit it yourself and take it to a garage for a re-gas. If not £150 ish if you get a garage to do it and you buy the part. The after market part has been in there for two years on my V50 and is going strong.