PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - High mileage

Loljulie
Jul 19th, 2014, 07:14
Hello All, Volvo have always been renowned for being able to take high mileage in its stride, I have had v40 t4's, v70's, even an 850 back in the day! I have seen an 07 plate v50 2.0 petrol se with 135000 on the clock, full VSH, but what I read on this forum suggests that Modern Ford era Volvos no longer have the interstellar capacity. What thoughts do you guys have?
PS had enough of modern diesels! DPF! DMF, EGR, and they call it progress!

Falmouthboy
Jul 19th, 2014, 08:01
The engines are still capable of these massive mileages (as indeed they are on most modern cars). The difference theses days is that there are many other things (like ECUs) that can render a car beyond economic repair. Volvos of old were not overly stressed and tended to be driven by less 'sporting' individuals so pick up a used one and chances are it would go for ever.

mpt
Jul 19th, 2014, 09:01
Isn't the 2.0 petrol a Mazda engine? Japanese petrol engines are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

I also think some petrol engines have DMFs (I'm sure the mondeo ST220 does) and all will have EGR valves to reduce NOx it's just they don't cause so many issues as petrol is 'cleaner'.

John_C
Jul 19th, 2014, 09:06
You'll read a lot of comment on most forums for most cars about how the newer versions of cars simply aren't as long-lasting/solid/reliable as earlier versions. It's usually bollocks.

I remember well the bashing the P2 platform cars were getting once upon a time. Yet they're now touted as being capable of intergalactic mileages too and the faults for which they were condemned early in their lives (especially the D5) are now accepted as "common problems", generally with easy or affordable fixes.

Cars go through a phase when they're about three to six years after launch where the, shall we say, "less well thought out" parts of the design become apparent to the second or third owners.

The aftermarket hasn't yet caught on to them and the dealers probably haven't seen the issues that often either so the fixes are often drawn out and expensive. Later on the aftermarket suppliers fill the gaps with cheaper solutions, people find DIY fixes, updated parts are produced which don't suffer the problems, etc. The big problems then tend to become niggles, or common faults with well known cheap(er) fixes.

It's a cycle which repeats and certainly isn't unique to Volvo :)

My advice would always be do your research, find out what the common issues usually are, buy the best kept car you can find in your budget - mileage isn't anywhere near as important as a properly cared for car.

Regarding your other comments DMFs are in petrels too and are why modern cars are smoother, more refined and able to pull from very low revs without nasty vibrations even with four cylinder engines. DPFs prevent carcinogenic particles polluting the air. EGR systems reduce the production of toxic NOx. Of course there usually are downsides to any such systems but looking at the bigger picture I think it's hard to argue they're bad things overall.

Loljulie
Jul 19th, 2014, 09:18
Hi John
Thanks for that reply, I fully understand the benefits of the innovations on modern cars, but having fallen foul of the cost of repair / maintenance I remain not a fan!

Ninja59
Jul 19th, 2014, 16:17
Isn't the 2.0 petrol a Mazda engine? Japanese petrol engines are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

I also think some petrol engines have DMFs (I'm sure the mondeo ST220 does) and all will have EGR valves to reduce NOx it's just they don't cause so many issues as petrol is 'cleaner'.

It is in deed an MZR engine found in mx5' s the two 1.8 and 2.0 are related. They don't have dmf' s. Additionally the latest GDI engines suffer the same issue of particulates being produced just like diesels and the reason for dpf' s. Euro 6 introduces a particulate limit for patrols. Particulate pollution is not just a diesel problem.

Welton
Jul 21st, 2014, 07:51
The core bits of an engine are far more reliable now than they used to be; I'm referring to the pistons, big-ends, and valve train. The technology, manufacturing techniques and modern oil quality is superb......however it is all the sensors and emissions controls connected to the engine which cause these expensive repairs and label the car 'unreliable'.

As said it is not unique to Volvo, a lot of problems have blackened the German's reputation for reliability, you only need to mention 'Swirl Flaps' to any BMW Diesel driver to see them break into a nervous sweat.......

Cars themselves have become extremely complex through the demand for lower emissions, the need for increased safety, and demand for more driver aids/gadgets.

I believe new cars are made to last the length of the warranty after that you 'lease' another one or you take your chances solving the issues with the existing car. My 2005 car is simple enough for me to keep on the road so I intend to run it for many years yet; it has cost a lot of money but still cheaper than a new car.

TMC121
Jul 21st, 2014, 20:52
I have a v50D 1.6 first diesel volvo i have ever owned, all others where petrol, S70, 850 and a 760 way back.

Now to that end i have put up 250,000 on my Volvo and i have just had to replace the engine.
Regular service is key for diesels

Like the marquee.
Weston is correct The core bits of an engine are far more reliable and it cost money but worth it and as stated cheaper than a new one.
Many years left in the Volvo yet.

TMC

jferrari
Apr 25th, 2019, 21:54
Hi all. New to this forum but thought it may be of interest to know that my 2005 V50 2.0 diesel has done at least 225,000 miles. Difficult to know how many as it had been clocked at some point! I've had it 7 years and it was (unsurprisingly) a cheap buy! Initially needed a spate of repairs to put it right but its been trouble-free for last 5 years. Work needed - head gasket, turbo, additive dosing module. A joy to drive!

marc
Apr 26th, 2019, 07:08
Another thing to consider is that we normally only hear the bad points that people have and we latch on to that. You tend not to hear the stories of cars (not just Volvo) that have been looked after, regular maintenance etc that go on for a life time.

Maybe it’s personal preference, but I’d take a fair amount of the negative comments with a pinch of salt as that is just one persons bad experience.

Chose a car well, look after it, and with any luck it’ll last for many thousands of miles.

TonyB65
Apr 26th, 2019, 10:10
Although the article below was in 2014 I think it pretty much confirms the myth that modern era Volvo's don't have the longevity of older era's. It's all down to regular maintenance, and as this guy says, he deals with any issues as soon as they arise. My 2009 V70 has done 104k and drives like new, with no squeaks and rattles at all. Just before I bought it the seller had everything that needed doing sorted, to the tune of £1.7k, and I intend to keep it in tip top condition and expect it to last me for years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10889173/Second-hand-Volvo-clocks-up-a-million-kilometres-with-no-break-downs.html

Welton
Apr 26th, 2019, 12:12
I think it's all about preventative maintenance. Replacing the aux belts/tensioners if you can hear a slight noise from them, replacing oil and fluids early and regularly. LOOKING UNDER THE BONNET! etc etc.

I think a lot of motorists pay little attention to proper maintenance and probably don't understand any of it but certainly if you only spend money on garage works because the car has broken down then you're not doing yourself many favours in the long run.

StatusRed
Apr 29th, 2019, 10:45
I think it's all about preventative maintenance. Replacing the aux belts/tensioners if you can hear a slight noise from them, replacing oil and fluids early and regularly. LOOKING UNDER THE BONNET! etc etc.

I think a lot of motorists pay little attention to proper maintenance and probably don't understand any of it but certainly if you only spend money on garage works because the car has broken down then you're not doing yourself many favours in the long run.

On this note I have a mate at work who won't even check his oil, coolant etc.. Didn't get it serviced either. Got me to change his bulbs and was going to change the spark plugs for him until the car went bang and he just went and got a new one... Wonder how long that car would have lasted if he'd just do the basics!

Then he tells me I waste money on cars! -.-

volvopilot
Apr 29th, 2019, 16:42
when I'm looking at the regular auto trader websites here in my country I see S40/V50's with 200k+ miles very often. In pretty good shape too. (1.8 and 2.0 petrols)

mine has done close to 150k now and still going strong. No sign of engine problems and I only have to top up 0.5L of oil between every oil service (10k miles).

The 2.0D and D5 engines seem to be capable of even higher milages without any problems when it has been looked after.

A huge advantage of a volvo S40/V50 compared to similar mazda and ford cars with the same engine is that the previous owner has probably looked after the car a lot better. Not just maintenance, but even things like washing a car and not revving the hell out of a cold engine.

If you find a nice looked after high milage V50/S40, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Suspension parts are cheap and the engines fairly bullet proof.

x DTR x
Apr 30th, 2019, 21:08
184k on my 2005 2.0l D, cambelt was done at 140k and gets a full service every 6k. Everything on engine apart from filters is original including clutch & dmf., and very knock or rattle gets addressed whenever they occur. This is by far the best car I've owned to date, its still in great condition, everything works and it still pulls like a train. Was thinking at one point about selling but came to my senses!

alexstanleyv50
May 1st, 2019, 13:50
My 2009 2.0 petrol S40 has 150k on the clock. The duratec engine is still going strong and delivering great MPG for its age.

My 2005 T5 has 160k on the clock and is still hanging onto the coat tails of most other high powered cars.....

V50 Craig
May 1st, 2019, 15:44
Another thing to consider is that we normally only hear the bad points that people have and we latch on to that. You tend not to hear the stories of cars (not just Volvo) that have been looked after, regular maintenance etc that go on for a life time.

Maybe it’s personal preference, but I’d take a fair amount of the negative comments with a pinch of salt as that is just one persons bad experience.

Chose a car well, look after it, and with any luck it’ll last for many thousands of miles.

I have to agree with this, and it also depends how the car gets driven. I'm sure you could have the worlds most reliable brand and if it gets hammered every time its driven it will develop lots of faults. Even the most unreliable of cars if maintained well, driven gently and just generally looked after will last a long time and surpass many peoples expectations.

The only concern for me regarding modern cars in general is how newer engines are getting smaller. Big low stress engines will nearly always do big mileage. I'm sure there's a supercharged or turbocharged 1.0 Ford Focus? It has a decent power output but i can imagine this starting to struggle by the 100k mark, especially if it gets driven hard!

LizardOfBodom
May 1st, 2019, 16:32
...mileage. I'm sure there's a supercharged or turbocharged 1.0 Ford Focus? It has a decent power output but i can imagine this starting to struggle by the 100k mark, especially if it gets driven hard!

*cough* also startstopsystem *cough* .... :thinking2:

Dippydog
May 1st, 2019, 20:33
Yes 1L turbo engine[3cylinder I believe]can be had in Focus,also in Mondeo[have you seen the size of the present day Mondeo?]and the Transit Connect van:speechless-smiley-5.When all 3 cylinders aren't needed:eek: it will cut down to run on 2 cylinders to save fuel/emissions:rolleyes:

StatusRed
May 2nd, 2019, 10:15
Yes 1L turbo engine[3cylinder I believe]can be had in Focus,also in Mondeo[have you seen the size of the present day Mondeo?]and the Transit Connect van:speechless-smiley-5.When all 3 cylinders aren't needed:eek: it will cut down to run on 2 cylinders to save fuel/emissions:rolleyes:

Even the new Fiesta ST is 1.5l 3 cylinder turbo, with the ability to shutdown 1 cylinder when not in use too.

FunkyMelon
May 2nd, 2019, 10:27
Even the new Fiesta ST is 1.5l 3 cylinder turbo, with the ability to shutdown 1 cylinder when not in use too.

I must admit, I had a go in one last weekend (cousin has one) and they are absolutely cracking cars.

Best part of 200bhp in something very light with an incredibly well sorted chassis, limited slip diff and all the toys +45mpg when cruising makes for a lot of every day fun.

Made my T5 feel like bit of a dinosaur and apart from engine note, I struggle to see the point in big engine, thirsty cars anymore :(

I must admit though, I'd be surprised if it ran half the mileage my T5 will do. The compression ratios on these smaller higher power engines must be pushing the physical capabilities a fair bit - To be fair though, we live in a world of finance and lease cars now - Why does it have to live longer than 5 years when they just swap it in for a new one?