PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - DPF - Confusion !

arrowsmith5623
Jul 21st, 2014, 21:01
Hi,

Can someone help ?

I have a Volvo V50 2.0D SE 57 plate. Does this have a DPF (I assume it does) and if so what type ?

I have read many posts on many sites that the DPF should be changed at around 75,000 - I have also read many posts saying as long as regeneration occurs frequently (as not to get blocked) it will only need changing as and if it starts to block.

I have spoken to my local BOSCH garage who stated that they don't believe it needs replacing unless it starts to block and that they generally just clean them out, regenerate etc and that's fine.

Surely if it is regenerated regularly and an additive is used which aids regeneration, why replace it if it's working fine, not blocked etc ?

Thanks

Clan
Jul 21st, 2014, 22:01
Hi,

Can someone help ?

I have a Volvo V50 2.0D SE 57 plate. Does this have a DPF (I assume it does) and if so what type ?

I have read many posts on many sites that the DPF should be changed at around 75,000 - I have also read many posts saying as long as regeneration occurs frequently (as not to get blocked) it will only need changing as and if it starts to block.

I have spoken to my local BOSCH garage who stated that they don't believe it needs replacing unless it starts to block and that they generally just clean them out, regenerate etc and that's fine.

Surely if it is regenerated regularly and an additive is used which aids regeneration, why replace it if it's working fine, not blocked etc ?

Thanks

You have a DPF if the 8th character if your VIN is 5..

cleaning doesnt work , volvo have done their research and testing and have come up with 75000 miles as the efficient lifespan , after that the chemicals in the DPF degrade , fuel consumption rises , and regeneration takes place more often . Breakdows occur around 90000 on a neglected car and obviously are going to cost a lot more than a £280 DPF .

arrowsmith5623
Jul 21st, 2014, 23:01
Many thanks.

I have read in some places that DPF's are still working fine after 130,000 miles !? Is this correct or impossible ? Or does it depend on how the vehicle is maintained ?

Clan
Jul 22nd, 2014, 18:23
Many thanks.

I have read in some places that DPF's are still working fine after 130,000 miles !? Is this correct or impossible ? Or does it depend on how the vehicle is maintained ?

I would hardly think so as the neglected ones i come across always fail around 90000 miles and cause a breakdown .

arrowsmith5623
Jul 27th, 2014, 21:07
Hi,

I know there has been some confusion about whether certain Volvo V50's do or do not actually have a DPF. I have been told that if the 8th digit of your VIN is a 5 that you indeed to have one, if it is a 3 or a 4 you do not. I have checked the VIN on my V50 2.0 SE RDesign 57 plate and it is a 4. From some research this seems to suggest that it is a Euro 4 with NO DPF. Is this correct ?

Many Thanks

Loskie
Jul 27th, 2014, 21:51
I purchased my V50 2.0D new in July 09 and asked shortly after. This was the reply:
Dear Mr P,
Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding to
you. I can confirm that your vehicle does not have a particulate filter.
This information is gleaned from the chassis number YV1MW7541********.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4
emissions which do not have the filter. I hope this is the information
you require, thank you for your contact with this office.
Yours sincerely

Claire Parsons

Customer Support Manager
Volvo Car UK Ltd

Direct Line: +44 (0) 1628 422693, Fax: +44 (0) 1628 475623

edmoss
Jul 28th, 2014, 08:19
The original DPF on my 2009 V50 1.6 drive was changed at 125,000. It had a clean at around 115,000 but didn't solve the problems.

Car has spent most if it's life on the motorway, maybe that's why I got away with it for so long.

arrowsmith5623
Jul 29th, 2014, 19:26
Well, I've done some research and confirmed that my 8th digit is in fact 4. I have also asked my local Volvo garage and they have stated that it DOES NOT have a DPF...by the looks of it anyway...