PDA

View Full Version : V50 - Strange goings on (Help)

andyroo42
Jul 25th, 2014, 12:05
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2nd hand 2010 V50 (diesel -1.6 DRIVe), and have suddenly started having a peculiar problem(s) with it...

1. Driving along the motorway I noticed that, on inclines (when you'd expect the car to start pulling), the Cruise Control switches itself off. Its fine on the level and downhill, but uphill it doesn't want to play?

2. More worryingly, when accelerating, at the point when you'd normally expect a diesel car to start pulling, the engine revs really high, but fails to accelerate (not funny when pulling onto a motorway or pulling out at junctions). At first I thought it was perhaps not selecting gear properly (it's Manual), or that the clutch was on the way out, but neither of these seem to be the case (no clutch smell and pulls away ok).

Has anyone experienced similar or have an idea what it could be? Volvo have said they've no idea and that I should bring it in for diagnostics (for the pleasure of which they'll charge £60 before even hazarding a guess at the issue).

Any assistance or guesses Very Much Appreciated!

IainG
Jul 25th, 2014, 13:13
Hi
2. More worryingly, when accelerating, at the point when you'd normally expect a diesel car to start pulling, the engine revs really high, but fails to accelerate (not funny when pulling onto a motorway or pulling out at junctions). At first I thought it was perhaps not selecting gear properly (it's Manual), or that the clutch was on the way out, but neither of these seem to be the case (no clutch smell and pulls away ok).

Mine did a similar thing and it was the clutch. Would only slip when doing 60 / 70 on the motorway and trying to accelerate. I could not cause it to slip when pulling away. When it was changed the plate was down to, but not quite touching the rivets. ( V50 2.0d on 80k)
I had the clutch and D M F changed
Iain

andyroo42
Jul 25th, 2014, 13:20
Would only slip when doing 60 / 70 on the motorway and trying to accelerate. I could not cause it to slip when pulling away... I had the clutch and D M F changed
Iain

Nice one, cheers Iain
From what you've said, that sounds entirely plausible - I'll get it checked out.
Please excuse my ignorance... DMF?
Andy

IainG
Jul 25th, 2014, 13:43
Hi
Dual Mass Flywheel

Cost me £450 for the bits from the Motor factor and £300 to fit with a local garage(just for an idea of cost) Volvo wanted £1250
The garage said it was good practice to change the flywheel at the same time. When the old one was removed it had signs of overheating probably due to the clutch slipping. So it all did need changing.

Iain

andyroo42
Jul 25th, 2014, 13:56
Thanks again Iain
£1250 plus £60 diagnostics is more than a bit steep if it can be done for £750 all in eh?

IainG
Jul 25th, 2014, 14:29
Hi
Mine is the 2.0d and has a DMF. I do not know if yours (1.6) has a DMF. It is the price of the DMF that bumps the price up. Others will be able to let you know.
Iain

Proghound
Jul 25th, 2014, 16:26
@OP, your first issue will also be due to the clutch slip.

Cruise control deactivates as soon as you hit the brake or dip the clutch. It will have detected an engine speed increase without a corresponding road speed increase - normally that would be the clutch starting to disengage as the pedal is pressed, but in your car it's the onset of the same clutch slip you describe in your second issue.

It's also worth replacing the concentric clutch slave cylinder while you're paying for the labour to get the gearbox out, they are a known failure item on these cars.

Good luck with the repairs!

IainG
Jul 25th, 2014, 16:47
Hi Andy
The £450 included
Clutch. Complete
Concentric slave cylinder
DMF and bolts
(All Sachs in a kit, same as original fit)
Iain

andyroo42
Jul 25th, 2014, 18:32
Muchas gracias fellas
Big Kudos to you both