PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - V50 Keep cutting out

perci
Jul 25th, 2014, 18:43
I've got a v50 1.6D (58 reg) that keeps cutting out randomly. The car drives perfectly for around 45 minutes then for some unknown reason the Anti-skid warning light (also shows service required) suddenly comes on and the car cuts out. The car is completely dead for around 5 minutes then starts for a short time then cuts out again. When the car is left for a while it starts and drives perfectly but the cycle starts again.

I have taken the car to 2 garages for engine diagnostics checks without success. The first garage identified a fuel filter fault which they replaced but the car still cut out whilst driving home. The second garage thought the problem could have something to do with the ECU and began to look for a replacement unit. But while the car was in the garage I received a recall notice from Volvo for something to do with a part that caused water to leak into the ECU. I thought great.... Volvo was going to replace the ECU. I explained the problems that I was experiencing and they collected the car.

When the main dealer checked the suspect part they claimed the part had not leaked into the ECU. The part (not the ECU) was changed as a matter of precaution but Volvo refused to change the ECU.

The car drove perfectly from the main dealer (which was around 32 miles from my house) and I thought great the car had been fixed. But as I left the car running for around 4 minutes to check the car guess what? the car cut out again!!! How infuriating!

Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone help? Is this problem anything to do with the recall? Is this problem Volvo's responsibility to sort out?

Walkermeister
Nov 6th, 2015, 18:29
Hi Perci, I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 1.6D V50 (59 reg)
The mechanic said it's an EGR Valve fault and blocked DPF....! But I'm not convinced.....yet!
Did you solve your problem.

alfadave11
Nov 6th, 2015, 19:35
failing crank sensor symptoms and they not necessarily throw a code in ecu

Walkermeister
Nov 6th, 2015, 22:42
This has been a recurring problem and I'm sure I've had that done once before, about 2yrs ago (30k miles ago) will check with my mechanic. Feels like a fuel starvation issue when it cuts out, maybe a faulty fuel pump relay?