PDA

View Full Version : s40 2.0d high mileage question

jpderv
Jul 27th, 2014, 17:30
hi fellow volvo owners i have since got myself a lovely volvo s40 and after driving it a few weeks i wonder why i have waited this long to buy one lol.

after spending a few hours reading on your forum i have since learnt that my car basically uses the same engine as the focus/mondeo tdci which i have to say has me worried a little bit now as i have had friends that have had some bother with there fords.

my s40 has almost 170k miles on it so far and had a long discussion with the previous owner before i bought it he had informed me that he had the car from 90k miles and he never had to replace anything apart from brakes and tyres which makes me think now that its gonna need something major changed very soon like clutch or turbo or injectors or something.

my question is has anyone had any major problems with there s40s and is there anyone on here with similar or more miles than me?

x DTR x
Jul 27th, 2014, 20:19
Has it had the cam belt done at some point? If you haven't any record or previous owner hasn't told you then i would recommend getting it done asap. Other then that, just be prepared for normal ware & tear for a vehicle with that kind of mileage! I have 148k on mine but i do regular oil changes (every 6000 mls) and try not to drive it hard before it's warmed up. I also never hold the car on hill starts using the clutch and generally don't put my foot anywhere near it unless i'm changing gear as to preserve it and the DMF as long as possible!

jpderv
Jul 27th, 2014, 21:57
Has it had the cam belt done at some point? If you haven't any record or previous owner hasn't told you then i would recommend getting it done asap. Other then that, just be prepared for normal ware & tear for a vehicle with that kind of mileage! I have 148k on mine but i do regular oil changes (every 6000 mls) and try not to drive it hard before it's warmed up. I also never hold the car on hill starts using the clutch and generally don't put my foot anywhere near it unless i'm changing gear as to preserve it and the DMF as long as possible!

There's a we sticker inside the door saying it got a cam belt coincidently at 148k it also says on the sticker that it's due another belt at 208k hope it lasts that long, how are you finding your throttle response? To me it seems very lazy it's impossible to get a quick get away from the lights.

x DTR x
Jul 27th, 2014, 22:59
Give the throttle housing a good clean, there are known issues with the flap sticking a bit.http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241 Here is a great guide how to do this. Have you checked the air filter? Turbo engines do prefer a cleaner filter. Mine pulls away fine, are you sure your turbo is kicking in ok, around 2000 revs i think?

jpderv
Jul 28th, 2014, 00:17
Give the throttle housing a good clean, there are known issues with the flap sticking a bit.http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241 Here is a great guide how to do this. Have you checked the air filter? Turbo engines do prefer a cleaner filter. Mine pulls away fine, are you sure your turbo is kicking in ok, around 2000 revs i think?

To be fair my turbo probly starts to pull around 1500 rpm but I wish I could explain it better it just feels like the throttle isn't responding like it should between gears for example when you change and put your fut down absolutely nothing happens for say a second then it puts you into the seat it's probly how it's ment to be it's the first volvo I've had mind you.