PDA

View Full Version : Polish etc.

Alec Dawe
Jun 28th, 2006, 07:40
General question about polishes etc.
1) Is Auto Glym as good as it is cracked up to be, if so, what ones would be recommended for the paintwork of (a) my newish S40 and (b) my 240GTL if different from (a)?

2) I've seen mention of some sort of hard wax sticks on the forums, what are they, are they any good, how much, where from and are they hard work to use (I ask about the work bit because I have had serious back surgery, and I can't do the polish, polish bit like I used to without crippling myself, so perhaps a panel at a time?)

Any info from you detailing guys welcome.

S60-MBS
Jun 28th, 2006, 07:48
I recently started using Autoglyms super resin polish and super gloss,a coat of each gives the dark blue colour of my car a mirror finish...both these polishs require little or no effort to remove...you mention hard wax sticks..are these the ones were you place in hose pipe and spray on wax?..i only ever used the wash sticks and never liked them at all..i dont think anything can replace the personal touch by actually rubbing away at car with a sponge or cloth..

IC
Jun 28th, 2006, 08:01
I use Autoglylm Super Resin polish myself - well on the car :cyclops: It's very good in combination with Autoglym sealant which protects the finish Supergloss? - it's very light in consistency and is very easily applied giving a very good finish when polished off.

meta_volante
Jun 28th, 2006, 11:18
I use AG conditioning Shampoo, AG super Resin polish and AG ultra deep shine and when needed AG paint renovater. I can highly recommend all of these products, when used correctly they give an amazing finish :)

regards

meta

seany
Jun 28th, 2006, 13:02
A little light reading for you all

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/06042006/45/polish-mega-test-0.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/producttests/55103/car_polishes_and_waxes.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/producttests/66316/polish_megatest.html

Alec Dawe
Jun 28th, 2006, 13:39
Thanks all for the feedback. Have gorn and bought some AutoGlym. Was looking at the big red kitbag thingy, but has too much stuff in it that I wouldn't use, so just got he polish and superglossy one.

LankyTim
Jun 28th, 2006, 17:04
Bloody Polish, they come over here, take our jobs and our women..

arbee
Jun 28th, 2006, 20:17
I'm not keen on the super resin stuff to be honest, not all that great to apply/buff and nothing amazing in he finish. I like most of the rest auto glym range tho.

for some uber-geekiness, then see here

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

Alec Dawe
Jun 28th, 2006, 21:51
I'm not keen on the super resin stuff to be honest, not all that great to apply/buff and nothing amazing in he finish. I like most of the rest auto glym range tho.

Oh Hum er... Very, very, very geeky!!

Iain_M
Jun 29th, 2006, 00:24
I've used Autoglylm a lot in the past, but for the Uxbridge show, I'm trying to get hold of some Meguiars stuff to try out, as I've been told it's very good.

meta_volante
Jun 29th, 2006, 10:30

I am offended 2 say the least.......:D

I have been a member of www.detailingworld.co.uk for sometime now.....

I didn't consider myself a geek anymore for polishing my car,than I did for driving a Volvo.....:)

I feel strange...almost like I have been found out for doing something weird....

again...:D

Please say you'll all still chat with me....

regards

meta

meta_volante
Jun 29th, 2006, 10:36
I've used Autoglylm a lot in the past, but for the Uxbridge show, I'm trying to get hold of some Meguiars stuff to try out, as I've been told it's very good.

Iain, Megs is brilliant stuff, you won't be sorry you tried it, only trouble is around here you can't get hold of the dam stuff which only really leaves the mail order option, and the postage can be a rip off sometimes. The gold class wash and polish is excellent, Graham C is a fan I believe if memory serves me well, he could give you more advice.

regards

meta

arbee
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:57
I feel strange...almost like I have been found out for doing something weird....

again...:D

Please say you'll all still chat with me....

regards

meta

lol! what does that make me the, I've been lurking for ages and only finally registered today - nowt wrong with polishing (or volvos) but its probably a little extreme for most ;)

meta_volante
Jun 29th, 2006, 13:03
Thanks for the support arbee :D

addyman
Jun 29th, 2006, 15:47
Yes, detailing world.....ive been a member for a while, lurking in their forum and finally bit the bullet and bought a load of Meguiars stuff as well as some Zymol glaze.......oh dear, i have turned into a polishing geek...and am quite proud of it too, the finish on the car is rather good now......

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/oaksman/picture1.jpg

mind the stone chips which i am slowly going over, am pleased with the results so far and have only really started to do the car oin the last few weeks...

Just done the meguires 3 step process on the car.....

Washed in meg gold wash
Then did step one of the Deep System Paint Cleaner by Meg

Very nice, lots swirls taken off, car not that shiney, though looking much better

Then Step 2 Deep System Polish by Meg

Really has now come up a mirror finish, can see very nice reflection, all swirls gone, though has shown a couple of scratches up...

Next Step is a Wax...though as i started it started to rain big time....so later this weekend for that...

ALl in all very happy with the stage up to the polish, car looks great with a real mirror shine, with wax i think will be superb.

Iain_M
Jun 29th, 2006, 19:18
Iain, Megs is brilliant stuff, you won't be sorry you tried it, only trouble is around here you can't get hold of the dam stuff which only really leaves the mail order option, and the postage can be a rip off sometimes. The gold class wash and polish is excellent, Graham C is a fan I believe if memory serves me well, he could give you more advice.

regards

meta

Cheers, through a friend of a friend type thing I know a rep from there so I'll see what she can do for me.

Do you mean Graham C the 60 section keeper?

meta_volante
Jun 29th, 2006, 20:05
Cheers, through a friend of a friend type thing I know a rep from there so I'll see what she can do for me.

Do you mean Graham C the 60 section keeper?

Yeah Iain thats the guy :D

dave r
Jun 30th, 2006, 22:40
Same for me, I use the AG resin polish and the AG sealer. It gives a brilliant shine and is very easy to use. But beware of getting the dusty residue on your windscreen, it takes forever to get off!

terry_cunnane
Jul 1st, 2006, 00:47
the finish on the car is rather good now......
Nice finish!! Any more piccys? I won't get anywhere close to that but it's nice to look at someone elses.

Terry

J..M
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:40
MER anyone ? :Dancing_chief:

12Yrs as a Sofa ;) chauffeur :D

Current 05 Bentley Arnage .......

Looks like this ...... But Black

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/MMMJ/BentleyArnageRedLabel2000-05.jpg

LankyTim
Jul 1st, 2006, 08:18
Whats the best stuff for reviving paintwork that has been car-wahsed half to death and is full of very fine (almost invisible) scratches? Its a black 940 and id love to restore its paintwork. Would a good mopping bring it all out before I applied posh wax?

J..M
Jul 2nd, 2006, 13:11
I was gonna suggest having it mopped .........:)

terry_cunnane
Jul 2nd, 2006, 13:57
I was gonna suggest having it mopped .........:)
Hi, What exactly is mopping please?

Terry

Alec Dawe
Jul 2nd, 2006, 14:12

regards

meta

Just out of interest, I have found that a lot of the Megs range of polishes etc is often stocked by Caravan retailers/accessory shops, so its worth looking for your local 'van shop to see.

meta_volante
Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:36
Whats the best stuff for reviving paintwork that has been car-wahsed half to death and is full of very fine (almost invisible) scratches? Its a black 940 and id love to restore its paintwork. Would a good mopping bring it all out before I applied posh wax?

Tim, Try some Megs (Meguiars) Scratch X or AG (Autoglym) paint Renovator. If you apply these as recommended you won't have to mop the car. Use the 2 bucket wash method,with some quality shampoo(AG bodywork conditioner or Megs Gold class) and wash using mitt, NOT SPONGE, I consider that the correct washing preparation will make your scratch removal job a whole lot easier. I wouldn't mop the paint unless it's really needed unless your experienced, you could end up making the paint look worse than it already is and a harder job to put right.

regards

meta

meta_volante
Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:26
Just out of interest, I have found that a lot of the Megs range of polishes etc is often stocked by Caravan retailers/accessory shops, so its worth looking for your local 'van shop to see.

Thanks for that Alec I'll try and track some down locally.

IC
Jul 3rd, 2006, 13:02
Hi, my local Halfords stocks Meguires. If you have any probs tracking some down let me know!

Kar-ma
Jul 3rd, 2006, 13:12
Hi
Our local Halfords (Reading+Winnersh) both had an offer
of Megs stuff, NXT shampoo, NXT wax, Glass Cleaner and a Wash Mitt all in a Cool bag carrier/container for £35 which although expensive does last for ages, add some speed detailer and it'll make a lot of difference to the look of your car, and Detailing World is a useful source of info, but remember 6 bottles of stuff used well are better than twelve bottles in the shed.
Actually 3 will be enough

meta_volante
Jul 4th, 2006, 19:00
A few pics of my S60 after the 2 bucket wash method, this finish is prior to polish.....:D

I used AG bodywork shampoo conditioner, Eurow Microfiber Chenille Mitt , AG aqua dry chamois, AG instant tyre dressing. I will try and post more pics when I have polished it.