PDA

View Full Version : Trucker on M40 - Pure Class!

MissDMeanor
Jun 30th, 2006, 00:38
Travelling to Kent tonight I had to use the M40. At one point 4 lanes go down to one where they're doing roadworks or having a coffee break or something.

There was a plethora of signs letting you know to get into the inside lane & I dived in as soon as I could. And watched the usual lot careering on obliviously in an attempt to make a last second 'push in' to the queue.

There was a big lorry in front of me who decided, a good 300 feet before the lanes completely narrowed into one, to move into the next lane and effectively block the people trying to push in. It worked! They had to queue and be let in just like everyone else!

I put my hazards on to thank the driver as I passed him:Dancing_chief:

TJMurphy
Jun 30th, 2006, 08:19
There is a difference though between what usually happens on UK motorways (last minute diving and "too-early" diving) and what should happen (join in turn / zip merge at the actual roadworks). I thought they were going to start using zip-merge signs on motorway roadworks (coffee breaks :laughing-smiley-008) now.

Personally I tend nowadays more towards staying in the outside lane at a similar speed to cars inside me and join nearer the road works. Usually find if you're doing the same speed you're not seen as being too pushy and people let you in. Has the added bonus of hacking off the idiots trying to shoot up the outside too quickly.

Tony

ps This mean you're getting more bits on the car at Stuart's then?

barrie013
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:11
I was driving over the Severn crossing a while back, and there were two brand new tractor units being delivered. They drove next to eachother, blocking off any one who wanted to 'dive in'. It was a real treat not having to watch the mirrors all the time! Brilliant blokes.

MissDMeanor
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:49
There is a difference though between what usually happens on UK motorways (last minute diving and "too-early" diving) and what should happen (join in turn / zip merge at the actual roadworks). I thought they were going to start using zip-merge signs on motorway roadworks (coffee breaks :laughing-smiley-008) now.

Personally I tend nowadays more towards staying in the outside lane at a similar speed to cars inside me and join nearer the road works. Usually find if you're doing the same speed you're not seen as being too pushy and people let you in. Has the added bonus of hacking off the idiots trying to shoot up the outside too quickly.

Tony

ps This mean you're getting more bits on the car at Stuart's then?

The zip-merge certainly sounds a lot fairer than the 'dive-in at last minute' crew. I also quite like the european (or is it just France?) rule of reducing the speed limit by 10mph, or something, when it rains. Very sensible.

Mouthy is going to be abandoned for three weeks as I'm off to America to be a traitor with some American people carrier:)

MissDMeanor
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:50
I was driving over the Severn crossing a while back, and there were two brand new tractor units being delivered. They drove next to eachother, blocking off any one who wanted to 'dive in'. It was a real treat not having to watch the mirrors all the time! Brilliant blokes.

Excellent! It's the first time I've ever seen a trucker do anything like this. It was pure class to watch.....no one got in front of him or me!

Mike_Brace
Jun 30th, 2006, 10:29
We get problems on the A55 whether at the single lane Britannia bridge or the many roadworks, The locals will see a queue starting to form and just have to get into the left hand lane immediately to join it - it can stretch easily up to a mile. They hate anyone going up the outside to zip merge. I have seen wagon drivers (usually local - musn't say W****h might be racist) block the lane two up to a mile away making the queues worse. Where we do get a zip merger needed the locals seem totally incapable of performing the manouvre - maybe its because until the 55 was built they had never had a dual carriageway to drive on. (You should see some of the crawling down the slip road at 30mph and braking before looking to join!)
Even the NWP seem to perform blocking manouvre despite frequent signs on the 55 roadworks indicating merge in turn ahead complete with distance and diagram!! The more I see of NWPs driving the more I despair! (and they allow them to drive fast as well!)

Mike

James_N
Jun 30th, 2006, 10:46
Ive been known to slow down the outside lane too. By all means use the outside lane and merge sensibly, but if you blow down the outside lane and push in at the last min, expect to find me in the way! Cant stand people that shove in at the last 50 yards!

Merge in turn sensibly like you should, and there will be no problem.

Grizlyadams
Jun 30th, 2006, 11:08
It was probly grandad busy looking down your top juile :cyclops:
Griz

ChrisGrant
Jun 30th, 2006, 11:16
At what point are you to know that your supposed to join if everyone dived for the inside lane a 1 mile q could turn into a 2/3 mile Q (M40,M25 i've seen Q's 4miles back only to get within a mile and the Q's gone????)also in london you joint the shortest Q!!!! if everyone did this then all would be happy and wait approx the same time!!!!!!!!!

4 forty
Jun 30th, 2006, 16:18
you can now be charged for "blocking" a lane at the commencement of lane reducement,due to roadworks or other reasons, that is the idea of introducing "zip merging" .

paul
i.a.m.

daves60rr
Jun 30th, 2006, 18:24
i cant stand peeps blocking the outside lane, it really annoys me, i allways dive in at last minute, im driving a volvo, i therefore own the road, get out of my way , im a driving god in ma volvo!!

i despair with lot, call yourself volvo drivers! lol

dave

Citizen.Agfa
Jun 30th, 2006, 18:39
...but I thought Scotland was all single track with passing-places? Do you have outside lanes?:)

Regards, Nick H, West Wales, where we have grass down the centre of our major roads!

imac
Jun 30th, 2006, 19:17
I occasionally block the outside lane in the last 50 metres or so.