PDA

View Full Version : XC90 Computer MPG

patl
Jun 30th, 2006, 08:58
Hi Folks,

I have a 4 month old XC90 D5 (183) Geartronic that I am currently averaging 26mpg, however, my computer thinks it is getting 30mpg. Does everyone else have an accurate mpg computer, or is this discrepancy common ??

My dealer says it has never had a problem like this and has not tried a fix on the 2 occasions they have had it back in. Volvo UK say to not reset the computer (kind of makes the computer irrelevant if you can't check fuel consumption on journeys) and that it will get more accurate over time (also, can't see the logic behind this). Done another 1000 miles since resetting and no difference.

Apart from this annoying little problem it is a great car !!!

Thanks,
Patrick.

yeoman
Jul 2nd, 2006, 00:41
Hi,
I am not being facetious, but I would like to know how you worked out your mpg.Since you buy your diesel in litres,how do you do your conversion?
Is it 4 litres to a gallon?

JsR
Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:00
It's about 4.545 litres to the gallon, but please see below...

Hi,
I am not being facetious, but I would like to know how you worked out your mpg.Since you buy your diesel in litres,how do you do your conversion?
Is it 4 litres to a gallon?

Fuel Consumption
mpg to l/100Km = 282.481 divided by mpg
l/100Km to mpg = 282.481 divided by l/100Km

I picked this up from dieseltalk.co.uk

Hope this helps (and is accurate!)

John R

perussell
Jul 3rd, 2006, 16:07
I have 27000 miles plus on my XC90 now and in that time have never really found the computer mpg to be far adrift from the actual - certainly never more than 2 mpg out and typically within 0.5 mpg. Brimming the tank can occasionally cause a discepancy - not sure why, but it sounds like you are being fed a line by your dealer.
(Some years ago on a V40 I ran out of fuel on the M1 when the computer still maintained I had another 90 miles worth of fuel left so I guess we shoudn't place too much faith in these gadgets)

carlhunt
Jul 3rd, 2006, 21:17
I did a series of measurements of the fuel consumption of my T6
in preparation for LPG conversion and found the Trip-o-mometer
to be accurate to within 6% of the actual consumption.

20% accuracy doesn't sound right.

BIGM
Jul 11th, 2006, 16:46
Hi

I have had my XC90 SE D5 for 3 years and i'm averaging 33 mpg , i've had no problems with my trip computer, and its been the best car i've ever had ( had V70's new and old models before) , i'd keep on at the dealer.

BIGM

Arianne
Aug 22nd, 2006, 15:04
Ours is a D5 185bhp with manual gearbox. We are light touch drivers and, across a mix of country roads and commutes into Edinburgh City centre we manage this mpg.

We have just returned from a 2,700 mile return trip to the Austrian Tyrol. Five adults, all the luggage you'd expect, aircon on full-time. We did 70mph(ish) on British motorways, 100-110mph on autobahn (except where restricted) and spent the time in the resort ascending / descending mountain tracks in 2nd gear to get up to the high walking start points. Still managed 32.5mpg on return which I thought was amazing.

As an aside, Austrian diesel priced at approx. £0.72 per litre compared to £1.00 here in the UK. Might invest in a few dozen plastic jerry cans from Halfords on my next trip as they'll fit like lego bricks in the boot - nice and tight.

Regards

Arianne

bircham
Aug 22nd, 2006, 19:37
Hi Arianne,
I have a manual Xc90 on order and was interested in how you found the manual to drive - especially the foot brake. Is it ok to use? I have been wondering about parking in gear and not using the brake. Do you have any tips for hills etc. We are in Scotland (Angus) and our mix of driving suits manual far more than auto - my present A6 multitronic excepted (it doesn't have any gears).

We are also hoping that it will do around 35mpg so that it is not too thirsty on fuel - a car like the XC90 doing that would be amazing.

Thanks,
Jon

Arianne
Aug 22nd, 2006, 20:19
Hi Jon,

We live in Peebles, Scottish Borders and our car has been great. We bought it from Clellands, Galashiels and they have been the very best dealer ever.

We wanted a manual box. We tried the auto but we've never been keen on automatics. We prefer the control we get with the manual box and I wanted the better fuel economy. We thought the XC90 would be thirstier than it has turned out.

When my wife is using the car it does a mixture of Border's town driving and regular trips from Peebles to Galashiels. These are on roads identical to your two-way 60mph ones in Angus. We're light touch on the throttle and I filled up tonight - she's managed 35.2mpg across 420 miles. Pretty standard for her.

When I take the car and commute into Edinburgh from Peebles plus those Gala runs I manage 33mpg.

The mpg for our Austrian trip was surpisingly good too. These are real life figures, factual and reliable. You should be aware that the mpg was 2-3mpg lower when the car was brand new. It's eased up now with 11,000 miles on the clock.

As for the foot operated parking brake.....hmm. A sacrifice we were prepared to make to get the manual box - with auto you hardly notice it. It takes some getting used to. Most times I don't bother with it and just use the normal foot brake at traffic lights etc. Even on minor slopes I can engage the clutch and throttle without the beast rolling backwards.

I do use the thing on steeper slopes though. We did on the alpine roads. It's ok as you can hear the engine note change when the clutch begins to bite and the bonnet lifts slightly. Then pull the lever and jyou're away. We've not stalled it yet although you need self-belief!

The most annoying thing is the noise as the lever and cable release. On the flat it's no problem as you just hover your foot over the parking brake pedal and there's no noise. But on a steep hill you can't do that - you need your left foot for the clutch! So you get a cheapish sounding clonk as it disengages. We only do this rarely so it doesn't bother us and we just accept it as the quid pro quo of a manual gearbox.

Our dealer explained that most XC90's are sold with geartronic transmission. That got me worried that manual s might be difficult to sell on. But he said it will not be a problem because he will just shift it up North (your neck of the woods) where he said folk want the manual because of the weather. And, although I thought this mights just be banter at the time, your enquiry has confirmed the accuracy of his statement!

We love the car. The AWD traction control system will ensure that, should you apply too much throttle on that hill start, you'll not spin those front wheels and it'll help you avoid burning that expensive Continental Premium Contact rubber.

Best wishes and if you want anything further just let us know.

Regards

David.

ademora
Oct 31st, 2006, 20:43
I have the same issue with the computer and actual fuel usage, when calculated manually I get a max of 28mpg with the computer showing 30+, dealer useless when asked why the poor consumption and difference said it would improve after about 5k, now with 10k and no difference (XC90 D5 185bhp, auto)

Jet2 D5
Nov 6th, 2006, 15:53
I have an S60 D5 (185bhp) and the computer gives around 11% high on true calculated over many fills. Volvo Tec has admitted to my dealer around 10% error but appear to have no intention to rectify.

My previous 02 year petrol was only 3.6% out, no explanation offered about the 3X factor.

I have suggested to Volvo Customer Service that the error has been intentionally applied to mask the effect of the reduction in mpg resultant from the particulate filter regeneration system.

del0266
Nov 16th, 2006, 15:48
I have checked my 04 XC90 D5 several times and the computer consistently gives an optimistic fuel consumption of around 10-12% over the real level. I get an average reading of 33mpg and the real fill-to-fill over a number of tanks consistently comes out at just under 30mpg.

I was disappointed as I'd been lulled into feeling really good about getting 33mpg!

Hope this is helpful.

Rob O
Nov 27th, 2006, 14:13
Hi guys, new to this forum so please bear with me.
I hear so many contradictory accounts of XC90 diesel consumption. I have just taken delivery of a sterling grey 06 model D5 (auto) and can only get 22mpg average out of it. Admittedly there are only 6k miles on the clock. Should I be concerned at this level of thirst? I am doing mainly motorway / A-road mileage. Such poor consumption is not long-term acceptable for me as I have to pay for my own fuel and do 25-30k miles per year.

Cheers,
Rob

perussell
Nov 27th, 2006, 14:35
You don't say whether you have the 163 or 185 engine although the consumptions are quite similar. 22mpg is way too low! My motoring is 80% M-way, 10% A-road and the rest around town. In town mileage drops to high teens but overall I am seeing the correct side of 30 mpg on a regular basis (even as high as 35 on one occasion fully loaded with a gentle right foot). I think most people see 28-32 in mixed use of the type you describe.
I would certainly get this checked out by your dealer.
Even though it wouldn't account for your problems alone what kind of fuel are you using - supermarket or branded - that does have a slight effect ( 1-2 mpg)

dipsta
Nov 27th, 2006, 16:58
XC90T6 EXE
i went to dover the other day from leeds, with a trailer on the back with approx 0.5 tonne load.

So total load would be around 1.3 tonnes.

I averaged 13.2MPG.

AAAH! uphill 0.0mpg i was getting at times.

Lovely

I'm thinking of sending the car along with my c70 t5 gt to have both chipped to see if i can marginally improve the MPG.

patl
Nov 27th, 2006, 17:12
Hi Rob,

Get your dealer to do a fuel consumption test.

My 06 D5 has consistently given me 26mpg since new (no change over the first 10,000 miles) in my mostly around town driving. Can get it above 30 if I try when on A roads. My computer is optomistic though !!! Maybe yours is pessimistic ?? Have you done the maths yourself, or are you trusting the computer ??

Patrick.

Rob O
Nov 27th, 2006, 20:42
You don't say whether you have the 163 or 185 engine although the consumptions are quite similar. ... Even though it wouldn't account for your problems alone what kind of fuel are you using - supermarket or branded - that does have a slight effect ( 1-2 mpg)

Thanks for getting back guys. This is a great little forum. In answer to your questions above I have the 185 and generally use branded diesel - Shell or BP. I have used the odd drop of Tesco though.

I just got the car back after complaining about the fuel consumption. Apparently they swapped out all sorts of electronic gubbins (I didn't get to see the job card). However the economy has not improved at all. I'll send it back in. I've only had the car for a month as well (i'm still inside the 30-day return period). I've also got this weird problem of the car steaming up whenever I start it, as if the air con is full of water or something. Not great for a six month old car...:(

Rob

patl
Nov 28th, 2006, 14:28
Hi Rob,

I also get a bit of misting on my windscreen (didn't happen in summer). A quick blast with the front window demister gets rid of it in about 20secs. If I don't use the aircon it mists up as well, but I always keep the aircon on.

Patrick.

ianu
Nov 28th, 2006, 20:51
At the risk of repeating myself to a number of different people in the forum - I've got a manual D5 (04) - local stuff with kids and family I'm getting 35ish regularly. Long haul regularly 38/39 with point to point motorway stops seeing 42 between fill ups - fantatstic.
The Trip computer has always seemed fine - I checked it when I first got the car to see what the reality was between the computer and the trip/brim to brim and was only ever +/- 1mpg so I installed my faith in it competely.
I've come in on fumes a few times - and put more fuel in than I thought it held - about 69 litres is the most in one stop (too close for comfort really).

A car this size - I don't think you can beat it. Austria 6 up and a roof box - 38mpg ??? fantastic.

Rob O
Nov 28th, 2006, 21:26
Local stuff with kids and family I'm getting 35ish regularly. Long haul regularly 38/39 with point to point motorway stops seeing 42 between fill ups - fantatstic.

:confused:
Ian, I am driving a geartronic so won't manage economy like that but it should only be 2-3 mpg out. I can only hope that the car will loosen up over time. It's got 6.8k on the clock.

Thinking about what you said yesterday, i drove the car in manual mode and found it to be much more responsive. You can really exploit the power of the engine in manual mode.

I'll have another chat with my dealer.

rob