PDA

View Full Version : MOT and new wheel bearings.

A lex
Sep 26th, 2014, 17:35
MOT passed for another year :star:

Front pads were low, but still officially OK. Had them changed out for new Bosch items anyhoo. €125 fitted.

I also had 4x new wheel bearings fitted today. I used SKF items (found for €550 on the interwebs) and paid €250 for the fitting (5 1/2 hours labour!).

I wasnt sure if the bearings needed doing. I had a very annoying cyclic thumping noise when driving along in a straight line at steady throttle, and a very occasional grinding when taking left hand turns.

Via external inspection all appeared OK (i.e. no looseness in the wheel, no grumbling noises when listened to on the ramps). So, it was effectively a bit of a gamble to have them changed out. I decided to do all 4 in order to cover my bases, even though I suspected it was only the fronts that needed doing.

Results:

-Front right = completely buggered
-Front left = On deaths door, but still OK for a while
-Rears = looking fine

So, I needn't have necessarily done the rears, but at least I know I should be set for a while.

The difference in the driving experience is remarkable by the way.... smooth, quiet, comfy and no more bloody annoying thumping sound driving me nuts as I drive along.

All in price was €800 (£620 ish), which I consider to be very reasonable indeed. Mileage on the car is 115k km / 71k miles. Rather early for a front bearing failure, but **** happens I suppose!

aslan
Sep 27th, 2014, 10:50
I wasnt sure if the bearings needed doing. Via external inspection all appeared OK (i.e. no looseness in the wheel, no grumbling noises when listened to on the ramps).

Results:

-Front right = completely buggered
-Front left = On deaths door, but still OK for a while
-Rears = looking fine

Hi A lex

How did you finally confirmed the front bearings were damaged? Was it after it was removed? Or while it was on the car as in by spinning the bearing on the wheel hub/axle?

Mine has 114k km and it have a slight whirring noise from front left wheel. but it doesn't come on all the time.

Thanks!

A lex
Sep 27th, 2014, 11:38
Hi A lex

How did you finally confirmed the front bearings were damaged? Was it after it was removed? Or while it was on the car as in by spinning the bearing on the wheel hub/axle?

Mine has 114k km and it have a slight whirring noise from front left wheel. but it doesn't come on all the time.

Thanks!

On external inspection everything appeared OK, there was no looseness or grumbling in the wheel(s) when we span them freely on the ramps. There was only some noise and roughness when driving.

We could only confirm the bearings were actually bad once we had removed them from the car.

Rooster
Sep 28th, 2014, 12:05
Spin the wheel with one hand and hold the nearest coil spring with the other, any sort of vibration in coil spring and bearing is shot

A lex
Sep 28th, 2014, 12:13
Spin the wheel with one hand and hold the nearest coil spring with the other, any sort of vibration in coil spring and bearing is shot

That is true.

But a shot bearing does not necessarily have to give these symptoms.

Mine 'passed' those tests - but on removal and inspection, they were goosed!

cheshired5
Sep 28th, 2014, 13:05
That is true.

But a shot bearing does not necessarily have to give these symptoms.

Mine 'passed' those tests - but on removal and inspection, they were goosed!

So your completely knackered bearings gave no hint whatsoever when you spun the wheel and held the coil spring?
That's worrying because an excellent mechanic recommended that test to me and he swears by it and now you're saying we can't rely on it.:(

A lex
Sep 28th, 2014, 13:21
So your completely knackered bearings gave no hint whatsoever when you spun the wheel and held the coil spring?
That's worrying because an excellent mechanic recommended that test to me and he swears by it and now you're saying we can't rely on it.:(

Correct

All 4 corners sounded OK when those tests were carried out.

That's why I changed all 4 bearings, as I couldn't be sure which ones were actually the problem, even though from the driving experience I knew some of them were gone.

aslan
Sep 28th, 2014, 15:56
Correct
All 4 corners sounded OK when those tests were carried out.

That's why I changed all 4 bearings, as I couldn't be sure which ones were actually the problem, even though from the driving experience I knew some of them were gone.

It's been very long since I changed a bearing on my own, and it was only once. Apologies if this is a stupid question. But once you take a bearing out there's no way to install that bearing again? Just thinking of a way to avoid replacing a good bearing.

A lex
Sep 28th, 2014, 18:24
It's been very long since I changed a bearing on my own, and it was only once. Apologies if this is a stupid question. But once you take a bearing out there's no way to install that bearing again? Just thinking of a way to avoid replacing a good bearing.

To be honest im not sure.

My rationale is that 2009-2010 cars are very prone to bearing problems, it was very likely that all would need doing at some point during my ownership, so I may was well just get them all done now and then forget about it.