PDA

View Full Version : VVT pulley timing marks

flyingtech55
Oct 7th, 2014, 08:44
In the middle of renewing timing belt on my 2003 1.8L V40. This has the Volvo engine, not the GDi engine fortunately.

Can some kind soul tell me where are the timing marks on the VVT pulley sprocket. I can see the ones on the exhaust sprocket fine, but there are no timing marks on the inlet sprocket.

The car is currently in bits and really needs to go back together.

Thanks

Tim

gazO2V40T4
Oct 7th, 2014, 08:52
Hopefully these might help

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b525/gcarr1011/2014-06/3B67CFD3-8ADE-4F58-86D4-9F1397999DB1_zpsgytugjdq.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gcarr1011/media/2014-06/3B67CFD3-8ADE-4F58-86D4-9F1397999DB1_zpsgytugjdq.jpg.html)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b525/gcarr1011/2014-06/B7687EE0-88D2-4AF4-AEB3-73CE0E4DB767_zpsghjnmt00.gif (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gcarr1011/media/2014-06/B7687EE0-88D2-4AF4-AEB3-73CE0E4DB767_zpsghjnmt00.gif.html)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b525/gcarr1011/2014-06/4A67D7CD-5E54-408F-A623-41F1E1854491_zpsezorlkfy.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gcarr1011/media/2014-06/4A67D7CD-5E54-408F-A623-41F1E1854491_zpsezorlkfy.jpg.html)

gazO2V40T4
Oct 7th, 2014, 08:57
Just make sure when you refit the belt you have reset the vvt pulley here a video but it's of the t4 but the same will apply to the 1.8 only difference is its on the inlet cam

http://youtu.be/o4uLvH151-c

gazO2V40T4
Oct 7th, 2014, 09:09
If you take the end caps off the gearbox end of the camshafts it should look lik this

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b525/gcarr1011/2014-06/0D47E5B6-6CED-40DB-A4D2-1178F766A4E7_zpsvmhzu9e3.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gcarr1011/media/2014-06/0D47E5B6-6CED-40DB-A4D2-1178F766A4E7_zpsvmhzu9e3.jpg.html)

flyingtech55
Oct 7th, 2014, 09:15
Thanks for that speedy reply. The job is being done by my mate (who's a professional) has the Autodata book and has the similar information to that which you have kindly supplied. However, we've both looked at the edge of the VVT pulley and there are definitely no timing marks present.

The car, although running, needed the timing belt changed due to age. When we opened up the covers we could see that the timing belt had been off but had been done by the 'mark the engine with Tippex where it stops' method. We think the VVT pulley may have been changed but it is a genuine Volvo one. It also does not have any of the slotted holes shown in your photograph. We can see that the exhaust pulley is one tooth out see we don't know if the inlet pulley is correct or not.

Tim

gazO2V40T4
Oct 7th, 2014, 09:21
If you have the camshafts locked take the vvt pulley off and give it a damn good clean as you may just uncover the timing mark it will have one they are just very small it may even be covered by the tippex

pierremcalpine
Oct 7th, 2014, 11:53
If the VVT has been replaced previously the replacement may not have had a timing mark. That was the case with mine. I had a brand new gear that I inspected closely for a few minutes and there was no timing mark. I think this is because when you replace it, you don't need to have one on the new one. You just put it on and follow the instructions. No need for a mark. It does make things slightly more complicated for the next belt change though doesn't it?

flyingtech55
Oct 7th, 2014, 14:07
Thank you all for your responses. The plot thickens...

What I have discovered is that someone unknown has renewed the VVT pulley. They appear to have just stopped the engine wherever it happened to be, dabbed blobs of white paint on various places and pulled the belt off. They then renewed the pulley any old how and put the belt back on. As a result, nothing lines up. Nightmare! I rang up Volvo and their technician said that the VVT pulley has to go back on in with the 'pin' in the 12'o'clock position. On my car the 'pin' is in the 9'o'clock position. So.....

I'm going to get the set of timing tools, remove the VVT pulley and set it all up correctly.

The question I would like to ask is...for those of you who have changed or removed the VVT pulley on their cars how difficult is it to get the pulley off the camshaft after you've removed the fastener holding it on. Is it on a tapered shaft or a parallel shaft?

Thanks

Tim

pierremcalpine
Oct 7th, 2014, 14:56
Not difficult - it is a smooth spline though so getting timing exactly correct is key. Here's a link to the guide I put together. I hope it helps. The bottom line for VVT replacement is that the belt tension will determine where the VVT should rest, not the timing marks - hopefully the instructions will shed light on this statement.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=204876

NOTE: USE THE UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS POSTED BY DAVID ON PAGE II.

The one learning I had (that may sound trivial to some) is that when the intructions say "make sure the belt is tight between the crank and the intake cam" when you need to tighten the tensioner - well, make sure it is! For me that meant rotating the crank ever so slightly clockwise until I could visibly see all the remaining slack come out of the belt between the two gears. Then I tightened the tensioner. The first two times I did it, I did not do this part and while the tensioner seemed fine initially, the minute you rotated gears a whole turn it was no longer tensioned correctly.

Assuming you've got the crank locking pin in place, you can then reverse the crank until it is once again resting on the pin in order to proceed with vvt locking, etc.

gazO2V40T4
Oct 7th, 2014, 20:27
Thank you all for your responses. The plot thickens...

What I have discovered is that someone unknown has renewed the VVT pulley. They appear to have just stopped the engine wherever it happened to be, dabbed blobs of white paint on various places and pulled the belt off. They then renewed the pulley any old how and put the belt back on. As a result, nothing lines up. Nightmare! I rang up Volvo and their technician said that the VVT pulley has to go back on in with the 'pin' in the 12'o'clock position. On my car the 'pin' is in the 9'o'clock position. So.....

I'm going to get the set of timing tools, remove the VVT pulley and set it all up correctly.

The question I would like to ask is...for those of you who have changed or removed the VVT pulley on their cars how difficult is it to get the pulley off the camshaft after you've removed the fastener holding it on. Is it on a tapered shaft or a parallel shaft?

Thanks

Tim

Everything you need to know is in the video I posted early
It's a very easy job when you have the correct tools

flyingtech55
Oct 8th, 2014, 09:01
Thank you all for your assistance with this unexpected problem. What we decided to do was to put the whole thing back together 'as is' until I've got the correct timing tools and gathered all the necessary information to complete the job properly.

On this subject, do any of you happen to have the sheet which comes with the new VVC unit and/or can anyone print me off the VIDA pages covering the installation of the new unit. I thank you chaps for your links, descriptions and videos etc so but my mate Alex who will be doing the job with me is very skeptical of all fora. He gets a lot of his 'normal' customers coming telling him how to do jobs, telling him how long jobs should take, what parts he should fit etc based on what they've read, heard on the internet. He will only really look at official makers information. I can understand where he's coming from to be honest, I used to get similar when I used to be a TV engineer back in the old days (before the internet) when folk read magazines or asked their old physics teacher or some such.

Do any of you by any chance have the set of timing tools which you would be willing to lend for a consideration to save me buying a set which I'll probably never use again. Alex has the cam locking tool for the Mitsubishi engine as well as the Ford tools for the later Volvos as well as the usual Vauxhall and Fiat tool sets but not for this engine. He can't possibly buy all the tools for all the cars he gets in.

Thanks to all so far

TimR

bimmer49
Oct 10th, 2014, 20:22
flyingtech55: Nothing wrong with tippex marks!!!
Today, my water pump bearing went wobbly and leaked the coolant out. Luckilly for me I was only a couple of K's from home. It had been noisy for a day or so but other work got in the way from looking at the "rumble". Cooling fan came on and a pool of water on the floor.....time to go nowhere no more.

Ordered a pump before luchtime close, delivered to factor at 16.30. Old pump had no brand mark (fitted on the 12/05/2012 when the cam belt was changed). On inspection...the impeller was "bent". I would bet it had been dropped before fitment without realising any damage had occurred. This caused the bearing to fail due to imbalance.......or cheap manufacture.

My VVT had NO timing mark either. Therefore I used Tippex to mark the cam gears. I locked them using two screwdrivers!! It worked. New water pump (Renault marked) and all put back together. Started the engine up once timed, instant start.

A tip....before putting engine mounting back on, fit the auxilliary belt, easier.

Once all fitted back and coolant put back in, I started the engine to run it up, however still on the axle stand one side, right hand wheel spun giving an ABS fault....job for reset tomorrow I 'spose.

Tippex does work, don't knock it.

flyingtech55
Oct 14th, 2014, 13:35
......Nothing wrong with tippex marks!!!......

The problem lies when Tippex has been previously used and the timing messed up. When we set up the crankshaft timing marks the exhaust sprocket was one tooth out and the VVT pulley on the inlet camshaft was 90 degrees out. I have no idea where the inlet camshaft actually is in terms of timing. That's why we put it back together again until I obtain the correct tool set to set the engine up. Alex would have been happy to have made his own marks had it all have been original and correctly timed up. The engine runs but we have no idea how close it is to not running in view of the timing as it is.

I got the opportunity to speak to the Volvo master tech and he said that there is a timing mark on the VVT pulley. It takes the form of a stainless steel pin near the the hub of the pulley. This should be in the 12'o'clock position when the camshaft is locked using the timing set. I am awaiting the arrival of the timing set before we commence further work.

Volvo told me that the T55 bolt which secures the pulley to the end of the camshaft should be tightened to 90NM. Does anyone have access to the service information and can confirm this figure.

Thanks TimR

pierremcalpine
Oct 14th, 2014, 20:02
Thank you all for your assistance with this unexpected problem. What we decided to do was to put the whole thing back together 'as is' until I've got the correct timing tools and gathered all the necessary information to complete the job properly.

On this subject, do any of you happen to have the sheet which comes with the new VVC unit and/or can anyone print me off the VIDA pages covering the installation of the new unit. I thank you chaps for your links, descriptions and videos etc so but my mate Alex who will be doing the job with me is very skeptical of all fora. He gets a lot of his 'normal' customers coming telling him how to do jobs, telling him how long jobs should take, what parts he should fit etc based on what they've read, heard on the internet. He will only really look at official makers information. I can understand where he's coming from to be honest, I used to get similar when I used to be a TV engineer back in the old days (before the internet) when folk read magazines or asked their old physics teacher or some such.

Do any of you by any chance have the set of timing tools which you would be willing to lend for a consideration to save me buying a set which I'll probably never use again. Alex has the cam locking tool for the Mitsubishi engine as well as the Ford tools for the later Volvos as well as the usual Vauxhall and Fiat tool sets but not for this engine. He can't possibly buy all the tools for all the cars he gets in.

Thanks to all so far

TimR

Flyingtech55 - PM me your VIN I'll see if I can drum up some VIDA instructions for you.

bimmer49
Oct 14th, 2014, 20:07
TimR: Was the car not running well before hand? Mine was 'cept for the water pump. I rotated the crank until the dowel was at the 12 o'clock position (roughly) and sure enough, the inlet VVT pin/dowel was at 12 o'clock too (by chance). This is where the tippex came in. Easy. Important to rotate the engine two full rotations. car started instantly.

Not everyone has a myriad of locking tools to cover each vehicle on the market or has the opportunity to buy.

If your car was going well before then it was not one tooth out. If it was you would know it....GUTLESS or difficult/slow to start.

Good luck.

Clan
Oct 14th, 2014, 22:17
In the middle of renewing timing belt on my 2003 1.8L V40. This has the Volvo engine, not the GDi engine fortunately.

Can some kind soul tell me where are the timing marks on the VVT pulley sprocket. I can see the ones on the exhaust sprocket fine, but there are no timing marks on the inlet sprocket.

The car is currently in bits and really needs to go back together.

Thanks

Tim

Someone has replaced the VVT pulley and not stamped the new timing mark on it . They come blank ...

So when you have timed it all up correctly get a small chisel and mark it at the matching top timing cover mark .

flyingtech55
Oct 14th, 2014, 22:39
Pierre

PM with VIN and engine details sent. Thanks for your help.

Bimmer 49

The car did and still does run OK. It also starts OK. I've no idea if it's gutless because it's been like this since I got it so I have nothing to compare it with. It is the 'S' version but it doesn't feel particularly sporty, but then again it is a Volvo estate so how sporty is it supposed to be. The car sort of lopes along rather than throws you into the back of the seat but that may be how they're supposed to be. The exhaust camshaft is definitely one tooth out...we checked very carefully. The inlet camshaft can't be that far out or, as you say the engine wouldn't start or it would keep putting on it's EML indicator. However, the only way to check and correct the situation is to reset it using the timing tools. They are not that expensive bought from a supplier on eBay. Once this fault is corrected the car may be transformed; only time will tell. I'll certainly be happy once the belt is changed. As far as I know it's the original and it's eleven years old and about 77.000 miles so it's on borrowed time.

I'll let you know via the forum how the job goes and if it makes a noticeable difference to the car's performance once the engine is correctly timed up.

TimR

flyingtech55
Oct 15th, 2014, 09:51
Someone has replaced the VVT pulley and not stamped the new timing mark on it . They come blank ...

So when you have timed it all up correctly get a small chisel and mark it at the matching top timing cover mark .

I think that's exactly what's happened. My suspicion is that the car went in for a new VVT pulley and whoever did the job made a complete cods of it. When she got the car back, because of the timing errors, it was probably well down on power so she decided to get rid of it. The car has obviously been well looked after previously and is a genuinely family owned low mileage example. Once this problem is solved I expect to own the car for many more years to come.

As an ex car mechanic I normally do this type of job myself but I no longer have access to a ramp. My mate Alex said it should be be an easy enough job and he offered do it on his ramp for mates rates if I got all the necessary bits which I did. Embarrassingly it's turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. I'm glad I didn't tackle it because there's no way he would have believed me when I told him that there were no timing marks on the VVT pulley or that the pulley is 90 degrees out from where it should be! When I spoke to the Volvo mastertech and expressed my surprise that the engine starts and runs in that condition he said that he's seen that before and that these engines are surprisingly tolerant of timing errors and that I'll probably notice quite a difference when it's correctly setup.

We'll certainly mark the VVT pulley (although it does have a pin to denote the 12'o'clock position) when it's all back together so I will do it in future. Alex is going to retire in the next couple of years so the next time I'll be on my own.

TimR

pierremcalpine
Oct 15th, 2014, 14:13

My experience exactly. Does not really matter how you put the new one on. When the cam's are locked and belt tightened you then tighten up the vvt where it rests and you are good to go with timing set exactly.

Tim - I tried attaching the file, couldn't pull it off. Send me your email address and I'll send the vida nstructions your way.

BTW - the installation instructions for this vintage of vvt are different from those in the video: this vvt is not spring loaded nor does it move at all once it has been tightened. As such it is a simpler procedure.

flyingtech55
Oct 15th, 2014, 16:19
Pierre

Thanks very much...you are a gentleman. Attachment arrived OK and printed off. Read and absorbed.

The tools arrived this afternoon so I'm good to go.

Thanks to all

TimR