PDA

View Full Version : If you have seen the film I`m living it

CLIVERALLY
Nov 20th, 2014, 17:59
CHRISTINE

I swear this car has a mind of its own..... one day everything works .. the next ????

Did Volvo build in the Gremlins ??

My lights have gone berserk since I fitted H4--- used exactly the same wiring config checked .... and the bulbs are in the right way... and the bulbs are new .. and I have cleaned and checked the foot switch, and the fuse,,,,,, so why the **** is it the lights on dip one is f full the other dip and them one full the other way round??? HELP before I call in the exorcist :B_rant:

ANDREWNT
Nov 20th, 2014, 18:15
CHRISTINE

I swear this car has a mind of its own..... one day everything works .. the next ????

Did Volvo build in the Gremlins ??

My lights have gone berserk since I fitted H4--- used exactly the same wiring config checked .... and the bulbs are in the right way... and the bulbs are new .. and I have cleaned and checked the foot switch, and the fuse,,,,,, so why the **** is it the lights on dip one is f full the other dip and them one full the other way round??? HELP before I call in the exorcist :B_rant:

Know what you mean about Gremlins the dash instrument lights never worked in mine since buying it 2 years ago despite turning the headlight switch various ways but suddenly yesterday they came on - I smiled for the rest of the day !!

Old cars eh! Character building.

Volvo_133
Nov 20th, 2014, 19:26
Clive,

Your wiring is crossed over at the 3 way socket behind 1 headlight unit.
Find which side of the headlights is on main beam when the dash indicator is lit.
This will tell you which side is correct.
Copy the coloured wiring scheme of the correct headlight, across to the incorrect one.
There should only be 2 wires to exchange positions.

Chris.

CLIVERALLY
Nov 20th, 2014, 20:45
Hi Chris

sadly that is one thing I did ...............it has me well beat BUT will recheck it again tomorrow just in case but it was the first check I did

Ron Kwas
Nov 20th, 2014, 22:45
Clive; Fuses have ZERO to do with Headlights, so go ahead and check them, but they wont tell you anything about your lights! You should refer to a wiring diagram (http://sw-em.com/122S%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg), simple as they are...and if you've recently installed H4s, I suggest you check that first to see if you've gotten something wrong...it doesn't get much simpler than an Amazon lighting system...and they sure aren't haunted!

Andrew; Instrument lights are routed through variable controls which are known for intermittency...nothing new there either...see: http://sw-em.com/Intermittent_Variable_Instrument_Lighting.htm

Good Hunting!

Bigbunt
Nov 20th, 2014, 22:48
This makes me think of my daily driver 850... My dash lights are very temperamental. They'll work for a while ( they came on about a month ago, sweet!) and then they'll go off for the summer or whatever. My 67 Amazon however, has all its lights! That's called tempting fate! I just knocked wood... I must say that Swedes are great engineers but the whole electrical/switch thing is not their strong suit... Love them anyway.
I'm with Ron Kwas, greetings from Connecticut!

Tail
Nov 21st, 2014, 19:30
Had very similar problems when i swapped to H4's, i left it to the MOT man to sort out and he said some of the wires were the wrong way round in the connectors, so the H4 terminals were different to the originals in my case at least.

Volvorama
Nov 21st, 2014, 20:47
The dashboard light switch has to cope with the current for all the sidelights and headlights It can struggle in old age with the original headlights and can have a very hard time with H4s. Fit a relay.

volvogv
Nov 22nd, 2014, 06:44
I had an electrical gremlin once that drove me crazy. Sometimes my dash and running lights would come on when the key was turned on. The problem would come and go at random. After a whole day of troubleshooting I found that the reverse light relay had a broken contact inside. When I would hit a bump, the contact would bounce up and wedge into places it wasn't supposed to go and short two electrical busses together. Hit another bump and the contact falls out and the short went away.