PDA

View Full Version : 2000 s40 front speakers.....

mattchiz
Nov 4th, 2005, 18:09
Hi

annoying problem here!

my passenger side door speaker cuts in and out at random intervals. It cuts out for 30 seconds then comes back on for a minute, then cuts out for 10 seconds then back on for 5 secs then cuts out etc (you get the picture)

the most annoying thing is when it cuts out and come backs on it cracklea and "trumps" along to the bass for the first couple of seconds and crackles when it cuts out.

i've already got a half decent pair of kenwood speakers (bought for a previous car) that look about the right size (and loads of decent quality cable) so i'd happily re wire the cabling, if that is the problem and or replace the speakers as i'd expect the Kenwood ones i've got are better than the original Volvo ones.

the problem to me sounds like a loose connection or a dudd speaker

i'm still using the original head unit which is the double Din, CD & cassette radio one

the problem is i havent got a clue where to start in terms of removing door cards, speaker grilles trim panels etc to change the speakers.

anyone got any ideas or tips as the crackling is driving me insane on my 100 mile round trip to work each day

paulwetherhill
Dec 4th, 2005, 13:10
it sounds like theres a wire thats been chopped throuigh to be honest, and its making a connection while your driving. try looking at the connections in the back of the head unit, and all wiring in the door looms, this has happened to me a few times.

Pebbles
Dec 5th, 2005, 19:15
Hi
I had the very same problem. Strange enough same model car and same door.
Try this: Switch off the radio. Unclip the speaker cover, remove the speaker, unplug the connector, slip off the plastic housing around the back of the speaker. You will see braided wires running from the the two terminals to the voice coil. These braided wires may look intact but what actually happens is that all the strands can break or corrode, usually where they were soldered, and yet they stay in place because there is a silk core running through the centre of the wire! Ask an electronics tech to test their continuity and replace the dud one(s). It's quite easy to do as the voice coil soldering point is very accessible to a small soldering iron. You can use some braiding from a piece of screened cable.
It's worth a try.
Regards, Keith