PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - V50 CEM (Brain)

almattock
Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:05
Morning, I am looking at a 2005 V50 2.0D Sport. History is all good however during the past year it has had an intermittent electrical issue.....driving along and suddenly the dashboard lights up with all sorts of warning lights, the wipers turn on and the power steering stiffens up.

After 10 mins with the car turned off, all is back to normal and then it doesn't happen again for around 2 months (driving approx 2000 miles per month)

Auto electricians looked at the issue and along with Volvo decided the CEM was at fault - so the CEM has been replaced recently.

Hopefully this has sorted the issue however electrical issues being what they are, it has not really had time to show itself again if not.

Would really appreciate peoples thoughts on the likelihood of the new CEM fixing the issue or not? If not, what else could it be please?

Aj11r
Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:09
Hello,

I have the identical car, and although I haven't experience the dashboard lighting up problem I have had it where the car wont start and kept coming up immobiliser issue.

The garage had just serviced it and changed the pollen filter. They also found some error codes relating to the CEM unit so had re-seated the connections and cleaned the contacts.

I removed and opened the unit completely and gave the connections a proper scrub with contact cleaner. refitted and so far have not had any problems. Still got the error code using the reader though. But apparently this requires a firmware update by the dealer.

jeffmasson
Jan 22nd, 2015, 19:17
Would definitely recommend getting a can of contact cleaner and giving all the connectors on the cem a spray. Only takes 5 minutes and costs a few pounds

Wooders
Jan 23rd, 2015, 05:05
Clean the connections on the CEM, my S40 has the same faults when the wife stuffs her handbag by the CEM or kicks it, nudging the wires.Common fault and was the cause of all of my elec faults,limp mode, central locking etc.

almattock
Jan 23rd, 2015, 11:53
Thanks for the responses. The CEM has been replaced by Volvo and so you would like to think they cleaned all the connections too ;o)

If it happens again this would be the first aspect I would look at. Also someone in a previous thread mentioned changing the pollen filter and how this activity can nudge the CEM connections.

Best regards,

Al