PDA

View Full Version : New guy, boot problems 2008 c70

andylinney
Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:49
First off I ought to say hello and introduce myself, I’m a recent convert to Volvo and last summer bought myself an ’08 C70 T5 Sport.

I’ve had a few niggles with it, but then it’s an ’08 so it’s not going to be perfect… But, this latest one has me stumped. The boot refused to open yesterday and looked as if it wasn’t shut properly previously. So, I managed to push it down and it clicked as it located properly. Still wouldn’t open but I was able to lock the car and go to my meeting. Two hours later I came out and again the boot refused to budge.

I drove to a quiet car park and climbed onto the back seats to take out the centre panel and look inside. The lights were on in the boot and nothing was fouling the lock.

I got back out, walked ‘round and lo and behold the boot opened.

Now, when I unlock the car I can hear the release motor whirring away and unlocking the boot, leaving it loose so it can be lifted without pressing the button near the number plate. If I press the button it works, intermittently, and my last attempt left me with a stuck boot again…

I’m guessing it’s entirely electrical – the rest of the operations are fine and I even managed to open the roof once the boot had settled down.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Clan
Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:58
I would guess either a faulty press button or a partialy broken wire in the moving loom . I would get it seen to by a dealer who knows the system before you are left with an expensive bill when the boot won't open at all ...

dcw
Jan 23rd, 2015, 09:36
I would agree with Clan - sounds like faulty lock button or wiring going somewhere.

That said, remember that the boot lid is part of the roof mechanism as well. You mention you got the roof open when the boot was closed, so it might be worth (when the boot is closed) just fully opening and closing the roof a couple of times, to see if that re-sets something that is just slightly out of kilter.

Definitely get Volvo to look at it before it gets worse - that whole set up is very complicated if the roof is involved (hopefully it isn't!).

Should the boot shut and refuse to open, BTW, are you aware that if you open the lidded centre console box, and remove the mat in the bottom, underneath there is a lock to open the boot using the metal key in the fob?

David

andylinney
Jan 23rd, 2015, 09:41
DCW / CLAN, thanks for such rapid replies - DCW, I didn't know that was there although I'm lucky that the only Volvo dealership in North Wales which is in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is only 6 miles miles from here. I'll call them in a moment...

Thanks again!

dcw
Jan 23rd, 2015, 09:48
Let us know how you get on...

David

andylinney
Jan 23rd, 2015, 13:21
Will do, it's booked in for 9am on Tuesday and, to be fair, I was surprised how reasonable the charge was...

Darranna
Jan 23rd, 2015, 23:30
Should the boot shut and refuse to open, BTW, are you aware that if you open the lidded centre console box, and remove the mat in the bottom, underneath there is a lock to open the boot using the metal key in the fob?

Hi all David are you sure thats the correct location for the override boot lock?

This is where mine is (taken from the manual)

"If the car’s electrical systems are temporarily out of order then the boot lid can be opened mechanically with the remote control’s detachable key blade. For information on removing the key blade, see page 98. – Fold forward the left-hand seat’s backrest to access the keyhole down at the floor. Insert the key blade and turn it 110 degrees clockwise."

dcw
Jan 25th, 2015, 22:23
Hi all David are you sure thats the correct location for the override boot lock?

This is where mine is (taken from the manual)

"If the car’s electrical systems are temporarily out of order then the boot lid can be opened mechanically with the remote control’s detachable key blade. For information on removing the key blade, see page 98. – Fold forward the left-hand seat’s backrest to access the keyhole down at the floor. Insert the key blade and turn it 110 degrees clockwise."

Volvo must have moved it then! Mine is a 56 plate 2007 model and the override lock in mine is where I said, as advised by my handbook...wonder why?

Oh well - there should be one somewhere if you need it Andy; you might just need to search around the car for it first!

David

andylinney
Jan 26th, 2015, 17:53
Well...

Just back from Volvo (who, incidentally, were excellent) and they're unable to find fault with it, either electronic or mechanical.

So, somewhat reassured that it might just be 'one of those things'. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. They've cleared a few fault codes and reset it so we'll go from here. I might swap keys with the Mrs too invade it's sometimes sticking on the release button.

Thank you for your help!

dcw
Jan 26th, 2015, 18:49
Hmmm...just have to see how it goes, I guess!

David