PDA

View Full Version : General: - C70 D5 Tyre Recommendations

iantowil
Jan 26th, 2015, 01:14
Tyres on my 2008 C70 D5 all need changing and I wonder if anyone has any good or bad experiences with certain tyres, especially since the C70 likes to cause stepping on the rears, so want to avoid this at all costs.

dcw
Jan 26th, 2015, 10:16
If it helps at all, I have recently had Continental Sport 5's fitted all round to my petrol 2.4, and so far (early days) I am very pleased with the grip and handling...

David

Proghound
Jan 26th, 2015, 13:56
My experience of Michelin Primacy 3's on mine is that they ride very nicely and will do 15k on the front (if you look after them), or half of that followed by 15k on the back. That's mostly at about 2psi below the standard pressures, because otherwise you wear the centre treads out prematurely. I am aware of the advice about running at or above the ECO pressures to protect the alloy rims against pothole damage, but so far I've managed to avoid the worst of them so I think I'm winning on that one! The back certainly did get noisy when they got low - guess that would be the stepping?

When all 4 came up for replacement together, I fitted Avon ZV5's and saved over £100. They've been on for 3k and the fronts have worn off ~1mm, the rears less as you'd expect. Coming with 7mm tread on them that would look to make about the same mileage on the front, but it's early days yet. I have noticed their greater rolling resistance, but can't really compare handling because I don't push it through corners. Nothing I've found in normal driving has done anything to reduce confidence in them though.

scooby
Jan 26th, 2015, 15:31
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance are good tyres to

dme123
Jan 26th, 2015, 15:46
I bought a pair of 2nd hand 17" wheels that came with the OE Pirelli P7 tyres fitted, about 1/3rd worn. I've been rather impressed by the lifespan, I've done about 6000 miles since fitting with no more than 2mm of wear on the front.

I also have the newer model P7 EcoImpact on my V70 T5 and these are lasting incredibly well under very aggressive driving on the front axle. I know the old P6000 had a (well earned) terrible reputation but I've been impressed with the current models. The P7 Blue or whatetver it's called might be worth a look?

Due to a rogue nail availability I've just put two Michelin Primacy 3 on the front of mine and moved the P7s that were on the front to the back and have noticed more road noise in some circumstances. Also worth noting that the P7s that came off the back (due to puncture) were wearing much more heavily on the inside edges than the rest, despite the car having had a recent 4 wheel alignment. Does anyone know of a proper fix to this issue with the C70?

benr7310
Jan 26th, 2015, 21:21
Might not be a d5, but barum bravuris 2. 12-15k on the front with some spirited driving and they are cheap! Got one on the rear that I've had on for 2 years! Must have covered over 20k and it still has about 2mm left on it.

iantowil
Jan 26th, 2015, 21:39
Thanks for the posts gents. Looking at tyres, the big brand names seem cheaper now than they have been for a while - many choices for £120 per tyre or less.
As far as the stepping on the rear is concerned, I'm sure there are adjustable arms available to reduce the negative camber on the rear, but from memory I think they are quite expensive. Not sure why Volvo went so extreme on this, but it's a constant pain in the backside when the tyres wear - well it is for me at least.